Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Astrotom3000
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 2
Am I at risk?

I read about this whole VAC thing and one thing is concerning me. In Team Fortress 2, I have been playing online a bunch this past week and I have noticed a couple of obvious hackers (on VAC-secured servers no less) using, on top of speed and crit hacks, a hack that causes their name to cycle through the names of everyone else on the server, changing every second or two, fast enough to make it obvious.

This practically makes it impossible to kick them off the server, what ends up happening is that innocent players are being kicked off the server. When his username switched to mine, I immediately jumped off the server. After one match of this happening, I noticed that I earned the soldier achievement "Death from Below" despite never playing as the soldier that round.

So I need to ask: will I be at risk at getting VAC-banned as a result of all this? If this is not the right place to ask this kind of question, should I raise this with Steam Support?
Astrotom3000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
notdeadyet01
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Reputation: 167
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotom3000 View Post
I read about this whole VAC thing and one thing is concerning me. In Team Fortress 2, I have been playing online a bunch this past week and I have noticed a couple of obvious hackers (on VAC-secured servers no less) using, on top of speed and crit hacks, a hack that causes their name to cycle through the names of everyone else on the server, changing every second or two, fast enough to make it obvious.

This practically makes it impossible to kick them off the server, what ends up happening is that innocent players are being kicked off the server. When his username switched to mine, I immediately jumped off the server. After one match of this happening, I noticed that I earned the soldier achievement "Death from Below" despite never playing as the soldier that round.

So I need to ask: will I be at risk at getting VAC-banned as a result of all this? If this is not the right place to ask this kind of question, should I raise this with Steam Support?
You never cheated, so vac has no reason to ban you. VAC only bans if it detects a cheat coming from your PC
notdeadyet01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
MartinKhan
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 2171
Posts: 4,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdeadyet01 View Post
You never cheated, so vac has no reason to ban you. VAC only bans if it detects a cheat coming from your PC
This. If VAC based its bans on names, it would work horribly.
MartinKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:27 AM   #4
Tito Shivan
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 3393
Posts: 9,057
No, you are not at risk, as long as you don't use cheats.
Even if someone mistakenly reports you as a cheater, that will only make VAC put an eye on you. But as long as you don't cheat nothing will happen.
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
Manuel859
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Reputation: 209
Posts: 746
No, you are safe with VAC for reasons already stated.

There, added my two cents just to keep this thread alive.
Manuel859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #6
Me2nice
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Reputation: 232
Posts: 4,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinKhan View Post
This. If VAC based its bans on names, it would work horribly.
It still does work horribly.
Me2nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
PhamousVegas
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 262
Posts: 3,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me2nice View Post
It still does work horribly.
VAC is fine w/ Dedicated Servers with proper admins.
PhamousVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
Verminus
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Reputation: 478
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me2nice View Post
It still does work horribly.
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhamousVegas View Post
VAC is fine w/ Dedicated Servers with proper admins.
^This^

VAC is designed to find, catch and punish as many cheaters as possible while also imposing some control on the rate at which he arms race between the cheat coders and anti-cheat developers progresses.

It is not the be-all-and-end-all in cheat prevention.

Besides, even if any AC system could detect and ban 100% of cheat users with perfect accuracy you would still need either active admins or some other method of policing and dealing with the disruptive players who don't use or need cheats.
Verminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
Tito Shivan
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 3393
Posts: 9,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verminus View Post
VAC is designed to find, catch and punish as many cheaters as possible while also imposing some control on the rate at which he arms race between the cheat coders and anti-cheat developers progresses.
^^This
VAC is a punishing tool, not a policing tool.
VAC is not (and never was) meant to prevent cheaters from acting.
VAC is meant to punish cheaters after they cheat.
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.