Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls IV

Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
Danrik

Question Really disappointed with OBGE

Hey guys. I installed Oblivion Graphic Extender to the letter and got it running in game, however the shaders really aren't all that impressive at all.

Using OBGE prevents Catalyst Control Center from forcing Anti-Aliasing and the shaders for AA really don't look all that good at all.

Many of the other shaders have a massive performance hit for what seems like very little gain, and some cause other visual anomalies to happen as well. It's been a pain and I'm tempted to scrap it again. =/

My biggest gripe next to AA however is Godrays. My Godrays look nothing like the ones you see posted in screenshots everywhere. I've tried changing variables using the support plugin but I simply can't get it to look all that good.

People swear by this mod, but I can't see why. Can I have some insight please?

Cheers
Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
dibarra2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik View Post
Hey guys. I installed Oblivion Graphic Extender to the letter and got it running in game, however the shaders really aren't all that impressive at all.

Using OBGE prevents Catalyst Control Center from forcing Anti-Aliasing and the shaders for AA really don't look all that good at all.

Many of the other shaders have a massive performance hit for what seems like very little gain, and some cause other visual anomalies to happen as well. It's been a pain and I'm tempted to scrap it again. =/

My biggest gripe next to AA however is Godrays. My Godrays look nothing like the ones you see posted in screenshots everywhere. I've tried changing variables using the support plugin but I simply can't get it to look all that good.

People swear by this mod, but I can't see why. Can I have some insight please?

Cheers
I agree, not worth it! Those godray screenshots are taken at the best possible angle/area. Any of the ambient occlusion settings makes rainy days horrible, and DOF flashes every now and then which is annoying.

It's better to get mods that add to the game like quests, landscape changes.
dibarra2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
nitefox98

Personally, I'd recommend vanilla HDR, OBGE's MDLAA and the CrysisDoF. That combo seemed to run the smoothest with the best quality on my Radeon 5830. Godrays are cool for taking photos, but I don't play with them on. You'll also have to disable Catalyst AI for the DoF to work.

If you ran with bloom and MDLAA you could probably use godrays without as much of a hit, but I don't like the outdoor contrast with bloom.

OBGE 3.2 or whatever the newest version is lets you run different shaders indoors and outdoors, which at some point I might try so I could add AO indoors only, but I finally stopped modding so I could actually play, lol.

I've been posting screenshots here of my results.

Last edited by nitefox98: 03-12-2012 at 10:15 PM.
nitefox98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls IV