Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > SimCity 4

Old 03-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
CrazyMoeFoe

Question RCI demand

So I gave in and bought SC4 through steam (played it years ago on a friends computer and loved it)

I created a new region and started with one of the smaller squares for a city, but I'm confused as to how to raise RCI demand.

Currently my city is sitting at about 1500 population, with all the basics (water, power, fire, police, schools, clinics, even parks) However my RCI demand for everything except agriculture is waaaaay down, while the bar for agricultural is at the top of the RCI meter. I've set the speed to it's fastest and let the city sit for quite awhile, but RCI demand won't go up.

How do you raise RCI demand? I have no room to throw down farmland in the city i'm working on, and creating a city in the next square that was 95% farmland (with road connections) did nothing.

So I now have 2 cities, one mostly farmland with a few houses and powered by a windmill, and a urban city with all the amenities. They're both connected with roads, rail, and power lines, yet the urban city still has insane agricultural demand, and the farm city has high residential demand, and no neighbor deals available (I wanted to sell power from my urban city to the farm city.)

I must be missing something, any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
chappa'ai

How many public buildings do you have? Parks, hospitals, neighbor connections. They all raise the cap for demand. If all else fails, build another city, fill it with farmland, until the demand goes down. Go back to you main city, and it will catch up, as in, demand will go down. Make sure you have good transportation to the other city
chappa'ai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
ThoughtsinChaos

If your Dirty and Manufacturing industry is taking a nosedive you usually want to start lowering the taxes for industries and zone higher density residents. Also make sure the commuting is easy. If you don't want farms then tax them (or simply don't zone them).

Since it sounds like you have all the utilities covered I'm going to assume your residential demand is not suffering.

If you want cleaner industries, tax the dirty, but keep in mind it can slow growth until education kicks in long term.
ThoughtsinChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
CrazyMoeFoe

Thanks for the replies, It seems as if the new region I created was glitched or something. I made a new city in one of the premade regions and building up everything the same i'm up to 30,000 population so far with no RCI demand problems. (just traffic jams lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoughtsinChaos View Post

Since it sounds like you have all the utilities covered I'm going to assume your residential demand is not suffering.
My residential demand was suffering, once I hit 1500 population the demand for everything except agriculture shot down and the city stopped growing. I even threw down farmland in every remaining open space to test it, and even though the farmland developed, the RCI demand never changed, so something was screwed up.
CrazyMoeFoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
chappa'ai

Make sure you have the network additions mod from simtropolis installed. the game's pathfinding, is, for lack of a better word, crap.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
Bague

btw, you dont need schools, hospitals etc coverage everwhere, only when you want to create a nice neighbourhood.

Oh and get the NAM mod, at the very least it adds better pathfinding.
Bague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
chappa'ai

You need schools and hospitals covering all houses, or overall the city health and education drops :\
Old 03-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
Bague

So?

btw, for education you can just build a museum and some bibs, its cheaper if you just want rating.
Bague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
Rellik66

You want good education/health so your dirty industry can become high tech tech industry, thus creating more wealth and lowering pollution.
Rellik66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > SimCity 4