Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 03-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
pinkgun

Ys:The Oath in Felghana & Ys Origin Coming to STEAM!

XSEED Games ‏ @XSEEDGames

[Tuesday Triumph] XSEED is bringing Ys:The Oath in Felghana & Ys Origin to STEAM! Ys:OiF will be out 3/19 @ $14.99! Ys O (TBD)! Rejoice!

WOW
Old 03-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Zefar

Volunteer Moderator
Why don't they bring the whole series to Steam? Don't they know people would gladly pay for them as well?

I just hope they see the large sales and port the others to Steam.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
pinkgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefar View Post
Why don't they bring the whole series to Steam? Don't they know people would gladly pay for them as well?

I was wondering as well, hope XSEED could bring more Falcom products
pinkgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
whodat84

Whaaaa?
whodat84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Gordon Nukem

I'm sure they intend on bringing more titles to Steam, they just wanna test the waters out first. It's also smart to spread the games out, rather than releasing them all at one time.

Oh by the way, these games will have "Steamworks features such as Steam Achievements and Steam Cloud support"! Here's the press release:

Quote:
XSEED Games to Start Publishing on Steam

First two titles to be Ys: The Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin from developer Nihon Falcom

Torrance, Calif., (March 13, 2012) – XSEED Games, an independent-minded publisher, is proud to announce that they will be bringing Ys: The Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin, both from acclaimed Japanese developer Nihon Falcom, to PC on Steam. Ys: The Oath in Felghana will launch on 3/19 at a price of $14.99. More details on the launch of Ys Origin will be provided at a later time.

“People have been asking for Falcom’s great catalog of PC games to be officially made available in English for a long time,” said Jun Iwasaki, President of XSEED Games. “To start our new publishing arrangement on Steam with two standout entries from Falcom’s action-based Ys series, one of which has never been made available in English before, is an ideal situation for us, and we are excited about the future possibilities.”

Ys: The Oath in Felghana & Ys Origin
XSEED Games delighted RPG fans in 2010 and 2011 when the company published several Ys titles from legendary RPG developer Nihon Falcom to the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, and now Ys fans can celebrate once more as two of the series’ most revered titles, Ys: The Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin, are heading to PC as digital downloads via Steam.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana is an action RPG driven by fast-paced combat and paired with an intricate puzzle-filled world, and an enhanced port for the PSP system garnered many accolades when published by XSEED in 2010. This Steam release is true to the original Japanese PC release from 2005, but with added Steamworks features such as Steam Achievements and Steam Cloud support. The game follows the ongoing adventures of series hero Adol Christin and his trusty companion Dogi.

Conversely, Ys Origin serves as a prequel to the original Ys, and is the first Ys title not to feature Adol Christin or Dogi. This will mark the first time that the game, originally released in Japan for PC in 2006, will be officially released in English. Set 700 years before the first title in the Ys series, the game’s story focuses on the twin Goddesses and the mysterious Black Pearl made famous in Ys I & II, and follows the adventures of several playable characters as they ascend the menacing Darm Tower.

For more information on XSEED Games products, visit www.xseedgames.com. Fans can also follow XSEED Games on Facebook at www.facebook.com/XSEEDGames and Twitter at www.twitter.com/XSEEDGames.
Gordon Nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Cedge

Quote:
Well, for starters, not all of them are available on Windows. The only other two entries in the series on Windows are Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim and the remake Ys I & II Complete (which is actually two games, but it's one product). I don't know if XSEED would be able to get the rights to Napishtim, since Konami published a translation of the PS2/PSP version just six years ago.

I'd definitely love to see both of them on Steam as well, though. I'm going to buy both Felghana and Origin on day one. That's the best way to improve chances of getting the other two.
Cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
spartan0078

Awesome! Thanks for that info Nukem. +rep

Fun fact: ys is pronounced "yees"
spartan0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Heresiarch

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan0078 View Post
Awesome! Thanks for that info Nukem. +rep

Fun fact: ys is pronounced "yees"
"eace" (like peace without the 'p') would probably be a more accurate way to spell out the pronunciation. This is good news, but what would make it great news is if these games, and more, showed up DRM free on GamersGate or Desura. I'd buy them at full price instead of 75% off if that happened.

Last edited by Heresiarch: 03-13-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Heresiarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
*ZrK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge View Post
Well, for starters, not all of them are available on Windows. The only other two entries in the series on Windows are Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim and the remake Ys I & II Complete (which is actually two games, but it's one product). I don't know if XSEED would be able to get the rights to Napishtim, since Konami published a translation of the PS2/PSP version just six years ago.

Other Ys games on PC exist. Here is a quote from a XSEED employee on their forums.

Quote:
Hell, there are even PC versions of Ys IV and Ys V. They're officially-sanctioned Super Famicom emulations, but nonetheless, Falcom owns them, so neither is completely outside the realm of possibility!
http://xseedgames.com/forums/showthr...ll=1#post39683

That makes it that the only Ys game not on PC is Ys Seven which is getting a Chinese PC version, but XSEED has to get the license from the Chinese company to put that on steam.
*ZrK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
Fenneddar

Instant buy. And I cannot recommend these games enough to other players.

The YS pc iterations are GREAT. I remember playing Wanders from Ys on the SNES right after the console was launched and have been hooked ever since. They did a wonderful job transferring the series to an isometric 3D world. The powerups and combo system only add to the enjoyment.

I only hope they release a demo so people can see just how awesome these titles are.
Fenneddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
Archer Kane

It's been on the board for quite a while now Can't wait!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...ighlight=Xseed
Archer Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
Ghost-SWAT

I wish we knew a when =p
Ghost-SWAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:

A massive amen to that.

Despite my games collection, Ys is a series that is patchy to me at best. I own the odd couple, and then only re-releases in the main.

I similarly hope these do well and they release some of those games that haven't seen the outside of Japan.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #14
Cedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost-SWAT View Post
I wish we knew a when =p
We do, for Felghana:
Quote:
[Tuesday Triumph] XSEED is bringing Ys:The Oath in Felghana & Ys Origin to STEAM! Ys:OiF will be out [b]3/19]/b]@ $14.99! Ys O (TBD)! Rejoice!
Quote:
Torrance, Calif., (March 13, 2012) – XSEED Games, an independent-minded publisher, is proud to announce that they will be bringing Ys: The Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin, both from acclaimed Japanese developer Nihon Falcom, to PC on Steam. Ys: The Oath in Felghana will launch on 3/19 at a price of $14.99. More details on the launch of Ys Origin will be provided at a later time.

Last edited by Cedge: 03-13-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
Ghost-SWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge View Post
We do, for Felghana:
5/6 days isn't much of a wait now. When I asked in the original thread no-one really had a clue.
Ghost-SWAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion