Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Realm of the Mad God

Old 03-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
Lexinator

Very solid point Joe.
Lexinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #17
purplellama

i agree with the OP, game is fun but the prices for real money items and upgrades are way too high.
purplellama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
spyrochaete

What's wrong with the prices? You can get by just fine without paying a single cent. If you love the game and want more features you just buy the few things you want.

I've played this game for like 30 hours and have only spent $5. Who else is going to entertain you for 16 cents an hour?
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #19
cherokee67

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeThePro View Post
Like I have said, I still remember subscription based MMOs and I will take a FTP game over that any day. Having to pay a mandatory $5-15 dollars a MONTH is ridiculous. It does not matter how much or how little you played. It does not matter what you do, wanna play? Okay, it will cost you X amount a month. Then try and cancel your subscription. Every time I have tried canceling from subscription based MMOs I still get charged for a month after.

FTP games let you play for free. They never require you to pay for anything to enjoy the game or to "play" the game. You can pick it up and put it down whenever you like. The things that cost money are either cosmetic or items that could otherwise be earned in-game.

Now the issue many gamers have is with Pay to Win games. These pose as Free to Play games, but in fact, force you pay in order to actually "win". You can play, but if you actually want to feel any progress, well you need to pay to buy this weapon to beat this boss.

Realm of the Mad God is not a PTW game. You do not have to buy another character slot or more vault space. Is it nice to have? Sure. But you pay for the convenience.
nevertheless the prices are too high for a game like that. I really would love to buy a 2. characterslot if it would cost about 3€ and another vault for 2,50€. But 8€ for a characterslot and 5€ for another vault?. Sry for that money I can play Star Trek Online or something similar...
cherokee67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #20
ton de mo nai

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee67 View Post
nevertheless the prices are too high for a game like that. I really would love to buy a 2. characterslot if it would cost about 3€ and another vault for 2,50€. But 8€ for a characterslot and 5€ for another vault?. Sry for that money I can play Star Trek Online or something similar...
You act like STO costs a lot of money? I got VA and have never been motivated to spend a cent.
ton de mo nai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #21
purplellama

thing about monthly charge mmo's is that they usually have a massive open world.
and loads of content, which is all available. something like charging for storage space
is unique to free to play games, and eventually you end up paying about the same imho.

in a solid mmo with an open world, 85 players is nothing.
i'm not knocking this game, but i am saying it has very little on an established monthly charge game.
they always have LOADS of content. even some of those others mentioned like star trek online,
might have a lot more content and at better deals. there's some free to play games like perfect
world online, which let people trade in game items to players who bought cash shop items.
that's probably the best way to go. realm of the mad god has the kind of back alley forum trading.
so you see on their forum people getting ripped off, because there's no secure trading for real money.

they need to lower the prices in RoTMG and add more features. *shrug*

not everyone will agree but i don't really care. i've been playing mmo's since ultima online came out.
this game is great but it could improve a LOT.
purplellama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
Mummylord

And if the game disappears you can lament on what a great game it was. Too bad the game company was so greedy (and couldn't pay their bills). Please sub a game and stop this moronic complaining about free to play costing. The only thing forcing you to spend money is your overblown ego that can't stand to not have what others have. Pfffft.
Mummylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #23
Riddance

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplellama View Post
in a solid mmo with an open world, 85 players is nothing.
Not trying to be rude, but what game has 85 players in the same party?

World of Warcraft raids capped at 40. I've also played a lot of MMOs, and I don't remember any of them being able to form a group of RotMG's size. My memory isn't the best though, so I may have played one that did but forgot already.
Riddance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
Mummylord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddance View Post
Not trying to be rude, but what game has 85 players in the same party?

World of Warcraft raids capped at 40. I've also played a lot of MMOs, and I don't remember any of them being able to form a group of RotMG's size. My memory isn't the best though, so I may have played one that did but forgot already.
No idea. Rift can pull some big crowds that link up but I have no idea on the size since I don't play any more. But while it's prettier it's not less or more fun than rotmg's that I know of but I haven't done many large groups in mad god so far.
Mummylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #25
cherokee67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummylord View Post
And if the game disappears you can lament on what a great game it was. Too bad the game company was so greedy (and couldn't pay their bills). Please sub a game and stop this moronic complaining about free to play costing. The only thing forcing you to spend money is your overblown ego that can't stand to not have what others have. Pfffft.
First: In that case they should probably make fair prices, don' t you think so? Second: to have fair stash and just more than one characterslot for fair prices (take Minecraft or Terraria for example: paying 10 or 20 bucks ONE time and play the rest of your life with ALL updates free)has nothing to do with "overblown ego" but just with a little bit of comfort I got in every other game I am ready to spend money in. PFFFTTTT!
cherokee67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #26
foocy.toocy

Um... you don't need to spend a single dollar on this game to enjoy it.
foocy.toocy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #27
JoeThePro

Totally agree with Foocy.toocy

Yes there are "cheaper" F2P games, but for me, that are not as fun. However, you do not even need to buy a single thing in order to enjoy RotMG. Does it make it more convenient? Sure.

As I already stated in an older post I would gladly take this model of a F2P over a subscription based. In one year's time of a subscription model I can be spending over $120 dollars ($10/month) to $180 ($15/month). That is not even including the actual cost to purchase the game, which can range from $30 dollars up to $100 (in WoW's case, to purchase game and all expansions). Even in subscription based games there are additional costs such as mounts and costumes. Easily we can be spending from $150 up to $280 in one year. There is simply no way I would ever need to or want to spend that much in RotMG. And the beauty of it, I do not even have to.

So you can then compare to other F2P games, and it still comes out in the middle of the pack in my opinion.
JoeThePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:17 AM   #28
JustKickin

Pay2win usually refers to PvP based games but there is no PvP in RotMG which is the only thing that saves it from that description.

People complain about the monthly fee that comes with an MMORPG but with a subscription based MMO your subscription cost pays for UPDATES and tons and tons of content(In a good mmo). RotMG doesn't have enough content to justify a subscription cost. It's a flash game made for browsers, almost all games within that category are free to play.

This game shouldn't require a subscription and it shouldn't be compared to a "real" mmo like World of Warcraft or Rift. Instead it should be compared to popular indie titles like Terraria which it has much more in common with. Hell look at Guild Wars and the upcoming Guild Wars 2, those are AAA MMORPG's that you buy and never have to pay a subscription cost for.

I have a job and "free" doesn't necessarily excite me, I'd much rather buy a game for a reasonable price and have everything it offers instead of the goofy micro-transaction model where 95% of the players never spend a dime (because they're cheap) and the last 5% are gullible and end up spending 10x more for this game then they would for a AAA title by a mainstream publisher that cost millions of dollars to create.

I'm not complaining about the quality of the game. It's a fun little title in a seriously neglected genre but the prices are beyond absurd.
JustKickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #29
spyrochaete

@JustKickin
I'm really not understanding what you're wishing for. You say in your first post that you'd rather "buy the game outright" than buy features one by one. You later say that you don't like free but you don't like paying more than something is worth.

I can only think of one alternative to that, and it's what this game is already doing!

Let's say you want to go to a restaurant but all you want is dessert. You can eat their free breadsticks but that's not what you want. You can order a combo which will give you a meal with an appetizer, main course, coffee, and dessert, but you only want one part of that. Wouldn't it make the most sense to just order the dessert on its own?

I honestly think you need to reconsider your skepticism of this pricing model. It's liberating, not restrictive.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #30
JustKickin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrochaete View Post
@JustKickin
I'm really not understanding what you're wishing for. You say in your first post that you'd rather "buy the game outright" than buy features one by one. You later say that you don't like free but you don't like paying more than something is worth.
I never said that I did not like "free". I said that free alone did not excite me since I have money and can afford to buy games that I like. Your dessert analogy doesn't work.

Here is a better example that more properly lines up with RotMG. Let's say you go to a restaurant that makes a really good pizza. This restaurant offers an entire cheese pizza for free with one slice of it having pepperoni and there are a ton of people who go there to eat it for free everyday. If you would like to have a drink with your pizza the price of a drink is 10 bucks, if you want to add pepperoni to more slices of your pizza you have to pay an extra 15 dollars for each additional slice of pizza that includes pepperoni.

Sure the pizza itself is free and it's a godsend to certain types of people but for those who don't mind paying a fair price for it and getting all that is expected from a pizza at a restaurant you're either stuck with an incomplete pizza, or a pizza with pepperoni on one slice and no drink, all for the same amount of money you would have paid in the first place for a pizza somewhere else!

Sure I can play RotMG for free, or I can buy 1 vault space and 1 extra character slot for the same amount as what I would have paid for a typical indie game of this nature on a buy2play pricing model. But even then I'm still playing a gimped game and the more I play it the more I'll feel inclined to buy more, and since it's just small sums of money at a time you'll end up paying a fortune. Smart people will realize that it's better to not buy ANYTHING and just make multiple accounts on the website to get unlimited character slots and unlimited vault space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrochaete View Post
I honestly think you need to reconsider your skepticism of this pricing model.
The pricing model sucks because this is the type of free2play game that gives free2play such a bad rep.

Keep the browser version as it is if they want but the PC version of this game should be 20 bucks and include at least 5 character slots and a TON of vault space. They could then add the micro-transaction crap on top of that.

Or they could keep everything the same way and go the League of Legends route of doing free2play right and having the option of earning everything you pay for in-game by playing except with a huge grind involved.

Last edited by JustKickin: 03-13-2012 at 04:55 PM.
JustKickin is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Realm of the Mad God