Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Medic

Old 02-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #46
NitroSquirril

This is pretty cool. I'd like to see it beta tested.

incidentally calling "pre-healing" makes more sense than "post-healing" imo.
You can say "yo medic gimme a pre-heal" before entering battle, but I don't think saying "gimme a post-heal" makes much sense.
NitroSquirril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:35 AM   #47
ceu160193

Rename this from "overheal" to "post-heal", else it confuses people.
Also Megaheal should provide higher heal rate, if Medic healed someone with it.

Last edited by ceu160193: 02-20-2012 at 08:09 AM.
ceu160193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #48
themarcuslove

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceu160193 View Post
Rename this from "overheal" to "post-heal", else it confuses people.
Also Megaheal should provide higher heal rate, if Medic healed someone with it.
Thanks for the reply.

I haven't really had an issue with people confusing the overheal with this concept. I agree it needs a name but for now I'm not worried about it's label.
Post-healing seems popular. Any name works for me so I'm not worried about that.

Megaheal does have a higher healing rate. The amount of post heal is based on 'healing done' in the last 10 seconds (like damage done for crits). So during spurts of x3 healing, you have x3 post healing.

Any changes to healing rate (pyro's rake) will be effected without further coding.

Yay for bumpage!
themarcuslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #49
Silver Sky

Ah here it is!!

This is the best idea I have seen to date for the Quick Fix. It doesn't ruin the flavor, it doesn't outshine the other guns, and it seems like it would make it a very viable option.

Well done sir, well done.
Silver Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #50
McGammar

This... Would solve my issue with the Quick Fix. As is it's outdone by the Amputator when it comes to healing a lot of people to their max health quickly; but, if flicking someone constantly heals them a bit over 10 seconds, then just flicking your whole push could sustain it potentially better than the Medigun and its overhealing, thus letting it do what its supposed to do - flick heal a LOT of people in situations where you wouldn't normally have time to overheal.

Query: Would the pregen also contribute to building uber? If so it might need that slowed down a little, it charges fast enough as is.
McGammar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #51
N-R, N-R

Need an overheal?

Why not have a second medic with an medigun that can overheal?

If you are the only medic on the team don't use the quick-fix.

Last edited by N-R, N-R: 03-13-2012 at 06:35 AM.
N-R, N-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #52
ceu160193

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-R, N-R View Post
Need an overheal?

RTFP (Read the first post).
ceu160193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #53
themarcuslove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sky View Post
Ah here it is!!

This is the best idea I have seen to date for the Quick Fix. It doesn't ruin the flavor, it doesn't outshine the other guns, and it seems like it would make it a very viable option.

Well done sir, well done.
Well I don't wanna toot my own horn...

Thank you for the positive comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGammar View Post
This... Would solve my issue with the Quick Fix. As is it's outdone by the Amputator when it comes to healing a lot of people to their max health quickly; but, if flicking someone constantly heals them a bit over 10 seconds, then just flicking your whole push could sustain it potentially better than the Medigun and its overhealing, thus letting it do what its supposed to do - flick heal a LOT of people in situations where you wouldn't normally have time to overheal.

Query: Would the pregen also contribute to building uber? If so it might need that slowed down a little, it charges fast enough as is.
Heads-up, both of these topics are addressed in the OP (if my memory stands). So you can re-read about the 'flick healing' and 'uber generation' at your leisure.

But in summation...

Flicking-
You can flick heal but the postheal is based of healing done in the last second. So you'd have to 'puff' for a full second to get the most regen going. It does work if you only do a fraction of a second, but .5 seconds of healing = half the post heal. (Nothing to hate on obviously but just worth mentioning).

Uber generation-
I said 1/2 the normal rate of posthealing becomes uber. I don't see that being too much in normal cases. However, I also think the current rate is too slow considering how weak the uber can be. So I'm bais for a faster rate.
Though if you do the math healing for ten seconds nets 31.5, halved is ~16%. In my mind I was thinking it would tally in how much healing is being done, but current code doesn't work that way (healing at 72 hp/s = 24 hp/s, uberwise). So in this case, just making it 1/4 the uber rate would work with the caveat of only working on full (or half-full) post heals.

In short- the most you could get from one full postheal would be 16% (or an extra 1.6% per second, per person). If too high, nerf that to 8% (or .8 per second).

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-R, N-R View Post
Need an overheal?

o,_,o

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceu160193 View Post
RTFP (Read the first post).
Geesh, I know right?

For all those with vowels in your name, I thank you for your comments.
Keep'um coming!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #54
Jchenh

Smile

Lol hope this thread doesnt die. Wow great idea man. Medic is one of the classes i play a lot and honestly i like healing ppl lol. I like blowing ppl up or wacking them to deth but healings fun. Anway back on the point would you get the assist if they kill someone while being posthealed? That would be awesome and you could just wrack up on assists lol. Also one of the main reasons i love the quick fix and the entire clinical trial all together is that its got so much personality. Hope you can keep the qf different from the other ones still.

Anyway tldr this is a great idea and make him get the assist if they kill with postheal because technically you are still kinda healing them and this wuld also promote less stupid qf pocket medics
Jchenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #55
themarcuslove

^I must say, great first post!

To answer the question on assists, I would have to say that such assists shouldn't occur. Mainly because actual overheal (150% one) doesn't have such a system in place.

In my mind, if overheal doesn't give assits, neither should this.

Now if you wanted to have a debate on if overheal should give assists... but you quickly run into the problem of a medic having a crazy amount of assist since that guy he healed 8 seconds ago killed someone a mile away.

Again though, thanks for the post. I'm really glad people like this idea. I just wish I could code this into the game to bypass valve. ^_^
Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #56
Jchenh

Thumbs up

Lol thanks i actually made an account just to talk about this .
Anyway the thing is since theres less pocketing more assists would help and you still kinda are healing him its different from overheal and u obviously know that lol. But ur right it would be too crazy i guess lol. I just want this to be in the game cuz i love the qf!!
Jchenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #57
Vader497

Very well thought out, and would probably work amazingly well. +rep and 5 starred.
Vader497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:42 AM   #58
Thaif

Supported.

The "pre-heal" would give the Quick-Fix some needed staying power, but not in the same way the overheal does.

The way I see the Quick-Fix should be used optimaly is to Triage(google the term) with it.
This means that you keep the beam on someone deflecting bullets with their face and then switching quickly to another patient when they aren't actively taking damage anymore or switch to someone else taking damage and then switching back to the other, etc.

This "pre-heal" would help with that immensely as you could effectively(or semi-effectively) pocket 2 people at once.
Yes, you do pocket with the Quick-Fix and no not Scoots, but any meatier class(Heavy, Soldier, Demo even Pyro) because they have the necessary health pool to not die on you when damage starts racking up.

"Pre-healing" would also help all the flanking classes as you could keep up a front with 1-2 people and buff all the Scoots, Pyros and Spies to help them have that little extra longevity to carry out those hit and run maneuvers they like so much.

The problem is how do we show the difference in overheal and pre-heal visually in the game?
On the HUD it would be simple to just leave the overheal effect on the health bar, but your actual health not increasing(it would still show you have overheal say, as a soldier but you'd still have your normal 200 health instead of 300).

But how do we differentiate the overheal particle effect from the pre-heal on the player model?
That's a bit more tricky and as this post has turned to the great wall of china I'll leave that question to others to ponder.
Thaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #59
themarcuslove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaif View Post
Supported.

The "pre-heal" would give the Quick-Fix some needed staying power, but not in the same way the overheal does.

The way I see the Quick-Fix should be used optimaly is to triage(google the term) with it.
This means that you keep the beam on someone deflecting bullets with their face and then switching quickly to another patient when they aren't actively taking damage anymore or switch to someone else taking damage and then switching back to the other, etc.

This "pre-heal" would help with that immensely as you could effectively(or semi-effectively) pocket 2 people at once.
Yes, you do pocket with the Quick-Fix and no not Scoots, but any meatier class(Heavy, Soldier, Demo even Pyro) because they have the necessary health pool to not die on you when damage starts racking up.

"Pre-healing" would also help all the flanking classes as you could keep up a front with 1-2 people and buff all the Scoots, Pyros and Spies to help them have that little extra longevity to carry out those hit and run maneuvers they like so much.

The problem is how do we show the difference in overheal and pre-heal visually in the game?
On the HUD it would be simple to just leave the overheal effect on the health bar, but your actual health not increasing(it would still show you have overheal say, as a soldier but you'd still have your normal 200 health instead of 300).

But how do we differentiate the overheal particle effect from the pre-heal on the player model?
That's a bit more tricky and as this post has turned to the great wall of china I'll leave that question to others to ponder.
I know what triage is! (Basically think of real medics on an active battle trying to keep a wide range of real people alive.)

Anywho, in my mind, the pre-heal would be represented inside of your health, opposite of how overheal is shown. (You could have pre-heal and overheal at the same time after all.)

Something like a light white overlay that scales with remaining health to potentially give. So if you have 138 (100% of it) health waiting in pre-heal, your entire health bar has a light white overlay on it. Every tick it goes down by how much healing occured (or would have occured). So when you only have potentially half of a pre-heal left, your bar has half a white overlay.

Alternatively (and maybe better) it could be numerically based rather than percentage based. So when you have 138 waiting, it overlays what would account for 138 health on the class you are playing. For a scout, all of it. For a heavy, about half.

In foresight, that would work better than percentages, more intutive.

As for the visual for others to see that you are regenerating...
A soft pulsing light around the entire person could work but maybe too flashy.
Perhaps small sprites (sparks/dashes something) radiating from all directions could work. Overheal has the health signs only coming out off the top so this could come from all directions and disipate in all directions as well (and velocity could be based on remaining pre-heal).

Thanks for the support!

Now if only value would get this in beta...
Old 03-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #60
victordamazio

So it's not an overheal, it's an "afterheal".

Good idea, but Quick-Fix is okay as it is, no need for drastic changes, use this idea for another Medi Gun.
victordamazio is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Medic