Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Stacking

Old 03-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #46
dvdmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFNathan View Post
Regarding European pricing, we got some pricing related data and advice on this issue from Valve. We're digesting this and discussing how to handle the exchange rate mismatch. It's something that Tim needs to weigh in on, though, so that'll mean next week due to all the GDC madness.
Very pleasantly surprised!

I'm not that into the whole DoubleFine frenzy, but Stacked looks interesting, and if you guys do the right thing and change the Euro pricing I'll jump on the bandwagon.

.. but PLEASE fix Euro prices before the discount period ends!

Last edited by dvdmonster: 03-10-2012 at 12:50 AM.
dvdmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #47
Ladicuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmonster View Post
.. but PLEASE fix Euro prices before the discount period ends!
Yeah, I hope the words turn to action soon too! But it's great that the devs are looking in to this.

DFNathan: Are you looking at changing prices for psychonauts and costume quest too?
Ladicuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #48
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
Ladicuis, we're definitely discussing what our policy should be across all of our Steam titles, including CQ and Pnauts.

To the folks who have asked about timing, I can't make any commitments and TBH I'm not optimistic that it'll happen before the launch sale ends. We are mere humans at DF w/ lots on our plates and many things to discuss and decide upon. The clock is always ticking and we can only think so fast. Of course, we'll always try to find ways to do right by our customers and fans, and I can say with confindence that this probably will not be the last time Stacking ever goes on sale
DFNathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #49
Ladicuis

Keep up the good work and thanks for the info!
Ladicuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #50
awsometeeth

how much is the game on the xbox or ps3
awsometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #51
Resoky

Banned
Honestly, I wasn't planning on buying Stacking, but after hearing someone who works for Double Fine say they're at least going to discuss fairer regional pricing with the company (something we always get the short end of the stick on) I'll be buying it. Hopefully making the regional prices fairer is something attainable for Double Fine.
Resoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #52
Kain201

Only 24 hours left on the Stacking offer. Any news yet?
Kain201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #53
MaxMad

I went ahead and bought it, since the sale is going to end and I really wanted to play it. I'm happy that someone at Double Fine is responding on the forums, but so far no action has been taken, a bit disappointed

It's not about the game being too expensive, it's about having the same game given to both Americans and Europeans, but one of the two has to pay more for absolutely no reason

On a side note, the game is fantastic!
MaxMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #54
dvdmonster

What's going on with the fair price? I'm itching to get this.
dvdmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #55
xpogopuschelx

I really hoped the european price would be adjusted before the sale ends...

But that did not prevent me from buying it anyway
xpogopuschelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #56
Kombucho

well id rather pay 10 euro than 15 dollars worth ^^
Kombucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #57
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
We've been discussing it and should have a proper announcement/post/update here later today. We're just ironing out the finer points. However, any price updates will be after the sale, though they will of course apply to any future Stacking sales.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #58
Kain201

I just bought Stacking and just hope for the best that I will get a discount for Iron Brigade when it is released on Steam. Thanks anyway DFNathan, I appreciate that you guys are caring about your customers.
Kain201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #59
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
Ok, everyone. We came to concensus on this and decided to include the UK as well as the Eurozone stores in our update. New prices are making their way to the various regional stores as we speak. Some are up already, some may take until tomorrow to propogate/update. Read on more if you want to know the gory details, but know that this will be our international pricing policy for all DF published games on Steam (i.e. may not apply to DF developed games published by other companies on Steam) going forward.

The short version is that we've updated our prices in Euros and Pounds to more accurately reflect differences in currency values and taxes between the UK, US, and Eurozone countries. We decided to go with a formula that looks at the average exchange rate over the last year or two weighted a bit more towards the current rate (since most currencies fluctuate within a band) and the exitance of VAT in the UK and Eurozone (which does not exist for internet purchases in the US). Our forumula is the following:

US Dollars -> Euros/Pounds + 20% VAT (rounded to nearest 0.49 or 0.99) = Steam Store Price

As we all know, currency values fluctuate quite a bit, even within a single hour of a given day day. We will not be tracking the exchange rate exactly or updating our prices with every tick in the rate. We will evaluate our UK and EU prices periodically and will update them should we feel like rates have moved too far (in our favor or yours) from their current peg. We'll be doing this at our discretion and we have lots of work to do making games, so don't expect it to happen very often

We include VAT in our formula because it's deducted from the sales price before Steam takes their cut or we get paid. That means we need to factor it in to make an equivalent return on a given sale. Like currencies, VATs do change over time and differ from country to country. There are also some additional fees associated with currency conversion, so we just picked what felt like a nice round number that's a reasonable approximation of the VAT in various places and went with 20%.

We round to the nearest half Pound/Euro to keep the prices straightforward. Sometimes the rounding is in "our" favor, sometimes it's in "yours", but it's never more than a few cents/pence. We keep our prices ending in .49 or .99 because a century of sales data says that humans are wierd and strange and it's really the most effective way to price things even though it shouldn't be.

As I said before, these prices and policies will carry forward to any future DF games we are able to self-publish on Steam and will be the basis for any future sales on Stacking, CQ, Pnauts, etc. We decided to update them after the sale for clarity and fairness, as this way folks who bought during the sale still get a nice discount and folks who bought after get the exchange rate corrected prices and we don't have to deal with the signficant logistical issues of refunds, coupons, etc.

Anyway, I hope that explains things for everyone. As always, we're doing our best to listen to and do right by our awesome customers, fans, and community of players. Thanks!

Addendumn: The formula above applies to any pricepoint, but we generally sell our games at three price points in the US - $29.99, $14.99, and $9.99. The following is a nice "cheat sheet" for that.

Euros (based on 0.75 Euros to the Dollar which is the average from the last year or so)
$29.99 US = 22.50 Euros + 20% VAT = 26.99 Euros
$14.99 US = 11.25 Euros + 20% VAT = 13.49 Euros
$9.99 US = 7.49 Euros + 20% VAT = 8.99 Euros

Brittish Pounds Sterling (based on 0.64 Pounds to the Dollar which is the average from the last year or so)
$29.99 US = 19.19 Pounds + 20% VAT = 22.99 Pounds
$14.99 US = 9.59 Pounds + 20% VAT = 11.49 Pounds
$9.99 US = 6.39 Pounds + 20% VAT = 7.49 Pounds

Last edited by DFNathan: 03-14-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #60
awsometeeth

so US gamers pay no tax?
awsometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Stacking