Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 03-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
All0utWar

Anyone else think this game is stupid as hell?

I semi-like turn based games so I got this when it was on sale. Well, after almost an hour playing and still not knowing what in the holy I'm doing, I gave up. I've been doing the tutorials and I just don't understand.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
mr.ioes

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=456067

Make sure to play on prince or easier difficulty than that.
mr.ioes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
rupok2

if ur talking about civ 5 its pretty easy to get. I just kept playing and it guides you to what you should do cause it won't let you end turn without doing those.
rupok2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Hotax

I sense a troll...
Hotax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
OmNomy

you must be really dumb
OmNomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
ClintDrums

To be honest, an hour is almost nothing to base your experience on for this game. A full game can potentially last 10 hours if you are learning. It took me a while myself to learn the game and I'm still don't consider myself a great player.

Different segments of a game will feel and play completely different so it's difficult to get a feel for the game if you haven't even played a full game. Learning the units, buildings, techs, and social policies can be confusing at first but they all make a significant impact on how the game plays for you. Try reading a few guides and learn the basics while playing on an easy difficulty. Once you get through at least one full game, everything will seem more relevant and things start to make sense.

It's a very complex game that will take some time to learn. But, it's well worth the time and can entertain you as much as you let it. It is a thinking game, so it's not going to be quick to learn. Give it some time and play a few games before you forget about it.
ClintDrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
jackbauer15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintDrums View Post
To be honest, an hour is almost nothing to base your experience on for this game. A full game can potentially last 10 hours if you are learning. It took me a while myself to learn the game and I'm still don't consider myself a great player.

Different segments of a game will feel and play completely different so it's difficult to get a feel for the game if you haven't even played a full game. Learning the units, buildings, techs, and social policies can be confusing at first but they all make a significant impact on how the game plays for you. Try reading a few guides and learn the basics while playing on an easy difficulty. Once you get through at least one full game, everything will seem more relevant and things start to make sense.

It's a very complex game that will take some time to learn. But, it's well worth the time and can entertain you as much as you let it. It is a thinking game, so it's not going to be quick to learn. Give it some time and play a few games before you forget about it.
well said, i am a AOE and Supreme commander player who is learning this game also but so far im having fun but it is a different game of what im used to play
jackbauer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
DM88888

AOE & Supreme Commander = Real Time Strategy

Civ series = Turn Based Strategy

so its a big difference.
DM88888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #9
timmyisme22

10 hour games? Marathon is where it's at. Running a game and currently on turn 550(ish). Still in the mid 1200's. Been playing for about 10-20 hours so far at least.

Only built 5 military land units (1 swordsman scouting for barbs) so far and a few ships (2 trireme, 1 in an in-land lake. 1 caravel, and multiple scouts) and haven't lost a war yet. Lost a few scouts mind ya.

If you have the DLC, try the Incan. The hill ability is wonderful and the farms on the hillsides are great in more desolate areas like tundra. (EDIT: Forgot to mention the FREE tile upgrades on hills... just saying. It's OP)

Next time, going immortal. I own half the standard map already and no one can compete against me (450 score is the 2nd place, I'm at 1500...). Research still is too quick. Marathon is quick in civ 5.

Last edited by timmyisme22: 03-13-2012 at 12:53 AM.
timmyisme22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
TomKQT

Quote:
Originally Posted by All0utWar View Post
I semi-like turn based games so I got this when it was on sale. Well, after almost an hour playing and still not knowing what in the holy I'm doing, I gave up. I've been doing the tutorials and I just don't understand.
So, you played a Civ game for the first time and when you didn't understand everything in 1 hour, you gave up.
Honestly and without meaning to offend you - you should play some much simpler games, like most of the current mainstream FPSs or maybe even some games for kids.

And no, I'm not talking about the fact that you didn't understand Civ in 1 hour. That's natural, you have to play one or two full games to become familiar with all the principles.
I'm talking about the fact that you gave up after 1 hour. It means that you want/require a simple game where everything is clear in 5 minutes.
TomKQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
Mozgus

I find this game to just be mindnumbingly simple. Thats the real issue. Seems like none of the complicated aspects matter at all. Just build things and keep hitting next turn. Go up a skill tree. I have yet to find where the fun is hidden. This might be the worst $7 I ever spent on Steam. Very sad. After looking at the low user score averages on metacritic and amazon, I am convinced that the professional critics were paid off.
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
ClintDrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozgus View Post
I find this game to just be mindnumbingly simple. Thats the real issue. Seems like none of the complicated aspects matter at all. Just build things and keep hitting next turn. Go up a skill tree. I have yet to find where the fun is hidden. This might be the worst $7 I ever spent on Steam. Very sad. After looking at the low user score averages on metacritic and amazon, I am convinced that the professional critics were paid off.
What difficulty are you playing on? Even if you are very familiar with the game, it's not always simple or easy. If you have a good grasp of the game mechanics, try turning up the difficulty to challenge yourself.
ClintDrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
VicRatlhead51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozgus View Post
Every choice you make early on has a compound impact later in the game. You really have to play a lot farther along. You have to pick goals, decide if you want to focus on science, military or culture and work towards that goal without falling too far behind in the other aspects. If you could build every building in every city while still building an army to defend I'd understand what your saying but you can't. Its all about planning and strategy. If that's all too easy for you bump up the difficulty, even a flawless strategy can still lose on deity. If you still don't like it then you shouldn't be playing turnbased games.
VicRatlhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
DoubleD

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.ioes View Post
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=456067

Make sure to play on prince or easier difficulty than that.
Thanks for the tip. I only tried it for about 30 minutes and was completly lost. I will return to it when I have a bit more time to really sit and play. I am interested in this title and the gameplay so when I saw the deal I jumped at the price. I don't regret buying it.

I may be reaching out to you for help.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose..
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
Sheepdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippleD View Post
Thanks for the tip. I only tried it for about 30 minutes and was completly lost. I will return to it when I have a bit more time to really sit and play. I am interested in this title and the gameplay so when I saw the deal I jumped at the price. I don't regret buying it.

I may be reaching out to you for help.
I storngly advise finding someone who is good at the game, and playing with them. Maybe even you and them vs some AI. Thats how i got "good".

Obviously its seems overwhelming at first. It can seem really hard to balance happiness, gold per turn, defense, culture, science. Its rather easy once you get the hang of it.

FWIW my first 3 builds are Monument, Worker, then Settler or Scout.

Hope that helps.
Sheepdawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series