Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 03-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
dexmtec

"deleted steam.exe but the file is still there" error - A troubleshooting guide

So I'm not sure if its a compatibility issue with the steam installer and Windows 7 (I'm using the 64-bit version), but some people have been getting an error message that appears during steam installation that says

"Steam.exe(main exception):ERROR: deleted Steam.exe but the file is still there."

This happens because the underlying MSI process that actually does the file extraction and copying accidentally locks the \program files (x86)\steam directory so when steam tries to update itself - the process fails. Here's how I fixed the issue:

1. Enable the built-in local administrator account
2. Log out and log in as the local admin
3. start the steam installation - when it gets to the finish screen do not click "finish" or "next", that will start the failing update process. Use task manager to kill the setup process (msiexec.exe)
4. Restart your computer - boot into safe mode with networking
5. login as the built in administrator account
6. start steam - login using your account credentials and let the update run. After it finishes, should be good to go.

I hope this has been useful, or better yet, I hope we get a working copy of the installer.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
schnitzeljaeger

Addition to 1. for the newbs

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
schnitzeljaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
ZakTheEvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzeljaeger View Post
Irrelevant. This is for .exe. The .msi shouldn't require this. Steam installer is crappy. That's all.

I uninstalled Steam and reinstalled it on the same computer and now it gives me that error. I installed it before, no problem.
ZakTheEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Plumb_Drumb

Banned
I tried all kinds of things but the only method that finally worked was uninstalling Steam (backing up the Steamapps folder, of course), and installing it again.

Not too big of a deal, just had to adjust some settings again.
Plumb_Drumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Denizathan

This problem is related with administration issues. I tried:

-Uninstalling AVG,
-Setting up Administration mumbo-jumbo:
+As default, SYSTEM owns the all drives, I owned all back to current user, no result,
+Logged as Built-in Administrator, no result.
+Gave all users Full Control, no response.
+Run as Administrator, no response.
-Replaced Steam.exe,
-Reinstalled Steam countless times,

but;

I did restart after Steam update failed with exact problem and ran in Safe Mode with Networking, update succeed.

but, there is one more but;

The next day Steam checked for an update and failed again.

What I can't understand is Steam was properly used on this computer before with same operatin system. I turned off some of Windows services but I did same thing before last clean format. My suspicion is Services but I (guess) turned related services back to Automatic.

So, I can't restart whole computer 3 times to log-in Steam everyday and this is a serious problem I guess. Steam's Troubleshooting doesn't worked, so what it needs is an update or a proper Troubleshoot.

This is really weird and annoying to be interrupted by such a crappy error to acces big part of my games.
Denizathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
dabalciunas

I'm currently facing exactly the same problem here.
dabalciunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
Hyadum

Why does Valve takes no action about this? The error is there for almost a year now.
Hyadum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #8
Hyadum

Still there, no solution.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #9
Exhorder

I probably found the 'real' fix for the problem.

Go to services and look for Application Experience Service (AeLookupSvc) - (Anwendungserfahrung in
german), set the start type to manual. Then you are able to install steam from the usual executable (*.msi)

Deactivating that service can cause all sorts of problems, not only with steam. It seems to lock up some .exe files after the program is already closed so it cannot be deleted or moved.

Try the following example:

Download TCPView, start it, close and then try to move the folder to another directory. It won't work unless the App..Experience Service is on manual because the exe file is still locked up for a while.

Last edited by Exhorder: 11-30-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Exhorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #10
MADDOGGE

Have any of you sent in a support ticket indicting in detail as you have done in this thread all you have done to fix the issue and requesting some help? In all my 8 years as a Steam slave, I've never seen this issue personally and I'm running Win7 64. I personally haven't clue what to advise.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #11
ECG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhorder View Post
I probably found the 'real' fix for problem.

Go to services and look for Application Experience Service (AeLookupSvc) - (Anwendungserfahrung in
german), set the start type to manual. Then you are able to install steam from the usual executable (*.msi)

Deactivating that service can cause all sorts of problems, not only with steam. It seems to lock up some .exe files after the program is already closed so it cannot be deleted or moved.

Download TCPView, start it, close and then try to move the folder to another directory. It won't work unless the App..Experience Service is on manual because the exe file is still locked up for a while.
Worked like a charm! Finally. Thanks a lot mate.
ECG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
orosee

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhorder View Post
I probably found the 'real' fix for problem.

My Hero!

It also solved all sorts of problems I had since I used a "tuning tool" that disabled a number of "unnecessary" processes... Double Hero!

Thanks a lot, really.
orosee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
Hyadum

Thank you Exhorder, you are more capable than the entire Steam programmer and service desk teams combined.
After 6 months of tickets, this finally solved my reinstalling issue.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
Exhorder

Glad that it helped, don't be too harsh with the steam support, it's very dificult to figure this out on a computer where that particular service is still untouched and intact.

Last edited by Exhorder: 12-01-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Exhorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
rslafond

How do you set AeLookupSvc to manual? When I try (by right clicking on it) I get a message of access denied.
Thanks
rslafond is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips