Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wargame: European Escalation

Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
Ace Quat

Talking is this neat game on origin?

if no, when will it come
Old 03-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Masher8559

Why don't you just go to the Origin store page and type in Wargame: European Escalation? you'd have your answer right away then.

http://store.origin.com/store/eaemea...ctID.246944300

It's available as a direct download for the UK, i would guess it's the same for any other region.
Masher8559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Ace Quat

thanx a bunch man its still too expensive for me though. wouldnt say the small content justifies 45€ (hardly any map variety, no basebuilding/resource harvesting, no navy/aircraft, not enough gamemodes)
Ace Quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
T-1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masher8559 View Post
Why don't you just go to the Origin store page and type in Wargame: European Escalation? you'd have your answer right away then.

http://store.origin.com/store/eaemea...ctID.246944300

It's available as a direct download for the UK, i would guess it's the same for any other region.
We don't have it in Asia Pacific region.
T-1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:29 AM   #5
Ace Quat

Thumbs down

ok but one question remains. why does this game cost more online (45€ on steam/origin) when you can get it for 37€ from amazon? plus you get a fancy retail box with a dvd inside while online stores give you nothing physical. does that make sense?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Masher8559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Quat View Post
ok but one question remains. why does this game cost more online (45€ on steam/origin) when you can get it for 37€ from amazon? plus you get a fancy retail box with a dvd inside while online stores give you nothing physical. does that make sense?
It has always been that way, Steam normally charges about 5 pounds more than most games i buy from a retail shop. Publishers set the price.

In reply to your other comment, the game has plenty of content, over 360 very detailed units, each one with its roll to play, yes the maps are the same in terms of colour, hence they all have green fields and green forests with small towns. But all play differently. Second, if you check the official forums, devs have confirmed we are getting more game modes and victory conditions added, more MP maps are being added, and not only are they giving us the ability to have a.i in MP, they have gone one step further and decided to improve the a.i so that it provides even more of a challenge. Not to mention all of the above is being patched in for free.

Also, the campaign in this game lasts longer than any RTS campaign i can remember, certainly lasts a lot longer than those rip off games such as COD which you will complete in 5 hours.

I don't normally take much of an interest in RTS games without base building, C&C 4 and DoW 2 were big let downs for me. However, this game plays out and works great without base building, That's not to say people don't set up defensive lines across the map, it's a very tactical game, simply building a bunch of units clicking them all and sending them to attack will not work at all in this type of game.

You are correct in that there is no resource harvesting, but like i said this isn't that type of game, you instead must keep your armies supplied, all units can run out of fuel,ammo and need repairing when damaged. You can deploy a forward operating base before the start of a battle and this can be used to repair,refuel,rearm all units, you can also call in supply trucks and choppers to be sent to the front lines to keep your units well supplied, not doing so will result in you having a force with no ability to move or attack. In a way this is a different form of resource harvesting. :P

There are no aircraft but there are a lot of choppers. Also, the only other RTS game i can think of that has as many units as this game is Men of War Assault squad. So i wouldn't exactly say this game lacks content.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Masher8559

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-1001 View Post
We don't have it in Asia Pacific region.
Ah, well like i said, i was only guessing.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Ace Quat

i've watched TONS of gameplay vids on youtube. even by watching the ingame footage, the game seems to go stale fast.

there's an uninspired campaign. decent for getting into gameplay a bit, not great for getting into multiplayer

and there are online matches: maps are hell boring after watching the fourththousandth green patch, why is there no variety (grass, wasteland, beach/sand, urban asphalt, rocks, SNOW) germany/europe just doesnt look all green.

beginning of match, set up army... tanks, some inf, heli, anti-air, arty if you like, go! hide in forest, flank, hunt down enemy command units... game over, always the same it seems

terrain not really usable, buildings not accessible by soldiers, very low destruction (you cant set aflame cities, cant destroy whole forst/trees)

no aircraft (they could have implemented it like in act of war where the jets arrive off-map, are very strong and fast, but immediately die once touched by antiair). i wanted to see su25s and a10s, a shame really

these are my main gripes. perhaps a dlc/exppack will sort those but until then i find this game lacking a bit. for its content, it could've been at 25-30€ max but 45€ for this seems a bit expensive. please note i am NOT HATING, just stating things i think that could've been better
Old 03-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #9
danuker

Quote:
i've watched TONS of gameplay vids on youtube. even by watching the ingame footage, the game seems to go stale fast.

there's an uninspired campaign. decent for getting into gameplay a bit, not great for getting into multiplayer

and there are online matches: maps are hell boring after watching the fourththousandth green patch, why is there no variety (grass, wasteland, beach/sand, urban asphalt, rocks, SNOW) germany/europe just doesnt look all green.

beginning of match, set up army... tanks, some inf, heli, anti-air, arty if you like, go! hide in forest, flank, hunt down enemy command units... game over, always the same it seems

terrain not really usable, buildings not accessible by soldiers, very low destruction (you cant set aflame cities, cant destroy whole forst/trees)

no aircraft (they could have implemented it like in act of war where the jets arrive off-map, are very strong and fast, but immediately die once touched by antiair). i wanted to see su25s and a10s, a shame really

these are my main gripes. perhaps a dlc/exppack will sort those but until then i find this game lacking a bit. for its content, it could've been at 25-30€ max but 45€ for this seems a bit expensive. please note i am NOT HATING, just stating things i think that could've been better
Theres always room for improvement in the game, and I agree with you on the points you make.

But terrain not being usable? Forests provide cover and hide your units, infantry are heavily protected and near invisible inside Adamantium buildings (that part always made me scratch my head).

But for MP games being boring after a while, it's the same with every RTS game out game out there. It's a matter of finding out the optimal build order and then sending them to engage the enemy.
danuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:37 AM   #10
Ace Quat

Quote:
Originally Posted by danuker View Post
But for MP games being boring after a while, it's the same with every RTS game out game out there. It's a matter of finding out the optimal build order and then sending them to engage the enemy.
yes but at least the other rts games i played seemed to offer a bit more strategical diversity in my view.

no matter if it was dow40k, c&cgen or coh, you had to choose a firm strategy first: either rush your opponent with low-tech units or go for a stable midgame build or even go for strong lategame units once you survive the teching up. pick a unit, know its costs, harvest the proper resources accordingly, identify its strenghts and weaknesses, micro it to success.

in wee (at least from what i've seen in yt vids) it's more or less: pick your tanks, inf, arty and heli right from the start, rush, secure supply zones, kill the command units, done! i dont say it's not tactical, the game is very tactical. but to me, matches could go stale fast. i would likely have fun for 50h, then the game could end up never to be touched again. and such a game isnt worth 45€ imo
Old 03-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
Masher8559

Quote:

The devs did not want any off map units that could change the tide of a battle, ironically, you say the game is stale fast? yet the reason aircraft were not put in was due to the slow tactical pace of battles from what i read, on the subject of pace, it depends on the level of skill between you and your opponent. In MP i have had battles as quick as 10 minutes and the longest being 1 hour so far. most 3v3/4v4 games will last 20-30 minutes a game depending on the level of skill a team has of course, a team with players much better than the other will wipe the floor in a matter of minutes.

You're completely wrong about terrain, first of all soldiers CAN enter buildings and become invisible to the enemy once inside, sticking ATGM soldiers in a building or forest or just below a hill when tanks pass they will all go up in smoke. Towns can be set aflame and DO burn down. They are all destructable as are hedges where a lot of the CV units are normally hidden. Forests on the other hand cannot be burnt down probably because they are so important to the gameplay, using the terrain you can move entire forces undercover hence why it is so important to use recon in this game.

I agree with you on map variety, they are all green fields,forests etc.. we have asked for more variety and the devs have said they will add more MP maps, we don't know whether any will be snow/sand etc.

Another thing, deploying tanks,infantry,helo's at the start will work against new players, if you don't form a strategy or keep enough money in reserve and recon the enemy you are likely to end up with a force that just cannot cope with the units your enemy has brought.

There is likely to be no DLC as the devs already said they have no plans for any PAID DLC, however, they are adding more features via patch by request from the community, such as being able to ping your allies, more maps for MP, and a.i for comp stomp. The game has over 360 units, very large maps and a campaign that is 22 missions long, and yes they are a tough challenge once the game goes on. So i disagree with you on the content side, it was worth every penny i paid in my opinion. Unlike games such as DoW2 where i only played a maximum of 16 hours before growing tired of it.

From the sounds of it, this is not your type of RTS. Also, I've heard nothing of a demo or free weekend, so either wait for a sale or give this game a miss. Although i would honestly recommend this game to any RTS fan.

Last edited by Masher8559: 03-18-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
Ace Quat

Quote:
You're completely wrong about terrain, first of all soldiers CAN enter buildings and become invisible to the enemy once inside, sticking ATGM soldiers in a building or forest or just below a hill when tanks pass they will all go up in smoke. Towns can be set aflame and DO burn down. They are all destructable as are hedges where a lot of the CV units are normally hidden. Forests on the other hand cannot be burnt down probably because they are so important to the gameplay, using the terrain you can move entire forces undercover hence why it is so important to use recon in this game.
well once again i gotta say that i didnt play the game yet but rather only watched some yt vids. from those, i couldnt tell if the game lets you utilize the terrain/houses properly. thanks for clearing things up for me

Quote:
I agree with you on map verity, they are all green fields,forests etc.. we have asked for more verity and the devs have said they will add more MP maps, we don't know whether any will be snow/sand etc.

There is likely to be no DLC as the devs already said they have no plans for any PAID DLC, however, they are adding more features via patch by request from the community, such as being able to ping your allies, more maps for MP, and a.i for comp stomp. The game has over 360 units, very large maps and a campaign that is 22 missions long, and yes they are a tough challenge once the game goes on. So i disagree with you on the content side, it was worth every penny i paid in my opinion. Unlike games such as DoW2 where i only played a maximum of 16 hours before growing tired of it.
if that's all true what you're saying i may change my mind on not buying the game. sounds great to me that the devs gonna deliver free support via patches. i really hope they'll add some more map variety and dynamic weather:
- like when it's raining, all your ground vehicles will drive slower and are more likely to get stuck in mud
- when it's foggy, the units' visibility range will be decreased tremendously
- when it's a snowy map, all units will move slower and ground vehicles may slide on the slippery ground more being unable to maneuver for some seconds

Quote:
From the sounds of it, this is not your type of RTS.
i am not quite sure either. i didnt play games like dow2 or wic as i just cant picture a proper rts title without basebuilding and resource harvesting. that's why those games probably put me off. but wee is different, i love cold war and wee's tactical challenge and scale of the battlefield is huge. i am ready to try something else and i am confident this game may suit me.

one thing i never liked in all current rts games is the initial rush for resources on match start, it's like 'lose that and be done for'. in wee however, resources kinda seem to be secondary and it's more important to play tactical, use your units and win the game by killing off enemies (at least in low-point matches). that's a very interesting concept and it sure gives the more defensive players a chance to win a match too, especially if the attacker screws up his rush.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
Masher8559

I understand what you are saying about base building because i am the same. I hated C&C 4 and i did not enjoy DoW2 with the removal of base building. That said, this game is all about the map control and tactical movement. There are some balance issues people are complaining about at the moment but the devs have already released a few patches and show no signs of giving up yet so we can expect these to be resolved.

You can see from this thread what they are currently working on.

http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/view...php?f=4&t=3470

If you have suggestions such as weather,map variety etc... then post in the suggestion thread on the official forums,Unlike these forums the devs actually read and respond on the official forums.

I also forgot to mention that they are adding more game modes and victory conditions, so if you are worried about battles only being about who can rush and take out enemy CV's first then at least you know there will be different modes soon.

Last edited by Masher8559: 03-18-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wargame: European Escalation