Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #286
richard.eid

Yeah, but it's important to stay on topic. The last however many pages of this thread haven't really been, save for a few posts. Let's say I wanted to ask a question about why GFWL isn't working for a particular game of mine. Then every response for 10 pages is "GFWL sucks". Does that help contribute to the discussion?
Old 03-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #287
chrischameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.eid View Post
Yeah, but it's important to stay on topic. The last however many pages of this thread haven't really been, save for a few posts. Let's say I wanted to ask a question about why GFWL isn't working for a particular game of mine. Then every response for 10 pages is "GFWL sucks". Does that help contribute to the discussion?
If you like kotaku, that's fine, you should defend what you believe.

The reason why people want it gone is how sometimes they don't even report on gaming (flipping through the news feeds on steam I saw an article they had about a world masturbation champion, to be fair he was from Japan and loved anime).

Their community is toxic as heck.

They're owned by gawker, being owned by gawker also means they have to be a gossip website (I don't know if they've always been like that but it's pretty bad either way).

Last but not least when they report on the stupidest stuff, that "news" (I'm using the term loosely), is then put in my news feed for my games. I wish steam wasn't even connected to kotaku, they should get rid of them and use someone else, someone who reports on games!

Last edited by chrischameleon: 03-09-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:46 AM   #288
PythonJones

Quote:
But go ahead and keep railing on Kotaku. How does everyone know their site is so terrible so consistently? Is it because maybe you visit it so often? Why do you go there if it sucks so bad? If you don't visit the site, how can you even begin to form an opinion on the quality of its articles?
Anyone with half a brain uses multiple sites otherwise you could be forming opinions with bias information, you need to read the less reputable ones as well as the good.

As for the syndicated news feature get rid of it all together or give us the ability to choose, at the bare minimum a syndicated news source should be dedicated to games and nothing else.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #289
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Now be fair.

Certainly my contributions haven't been "Kotaku sucks" because I've at least gone into description and reasoning on my thoughts.

Topics do not have to be exclusive, but rather inclusive.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #290
Metal_Izanagi

Valve needs to just get it in their skulls that people don't want gaming "news" from crappy websites full of horrible excuses for journalists in the news feed for their games. If someone really wants to keep up with news on the games they have on Steam, they'd just bookmark a few sites and check every day, or subscribe to an RSS from the site(s) they prefer. The poorly-written articles on Kotaku, RPS, and the like just take up a ton of space, oftentimes completely covering up patch news, because these sites never shut up about popular games like MW3 and how much better they are than Skyrim, in their opinion. Seriously, if I wanted some ty website run by ten year-olds to insult me for buying Skyrim I would set Kotaku as my homepage.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #291
chrischameleon

I found this interesting article about how the founder of the toxic, trashed filled, website gawker (which by the way owns kotaku) wants to limit free speech on the internet.

He wants to limit us, yet won't clean up his smear gossip sites, wow!

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/11/tech/w...html?hpt=hp_t2

Valve, how can you be connected to this?

Last edited by chrischameleon: 03-11-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #292
473NG3R

Consider this thread signed by me too.

I have to admit, I do read Kotaku but I don't want it in Steam. If there are age requirements for viewing trailers on the store there should be age requirements for owning games and using the detail view. The amoumt of profanity Kotaku spews onto steam... Not to mention those articles are never about the game you have selected, half the time they aren't about games!

Here is my suggestion: only show product updates here and allow us to add a URL or RSS to feed the news section if we so choose. Some of us have kids...
Old 03-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #293
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 473NG3R View Post
Consider this thread signed by me too.

I have to admit, I do read Kotaku but I don't want it in Steam. If there are age requirements for viewing trailers on the store there should be age requirements for owning games and using the detail view. The amoumt of profanity Kotaku spews onto steam... Not to mention those articles are never about the game you have selected, half the time they aren't about games!

Here is my suggestion: only show product updates here and allow us to add a URL or RSS to feed the news section if we so choose. Some of us have kids...
Very good point.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #294
Chapa9dj

I'm still waiting for an update on this.
I really don't want to receive more crap from pseudo-journalists writting their sorrows every day like if it was a blog, or things i couldn't care less, and i'm talking about Kotaku.
I'm ok with RPS and PC Gamer.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #295
MSPreacher

It would be nice if Valve paid attention to their customers on this issue. There is clearly overwhelming support to say goodbye to Kotaku. Although if they're making money from promoting Kotaku, I wouldn't be surprised if they just ignored us.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #296
Eetami

If anything they should at least put up PA Report there. I hear it's all about quality news.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #297
Z Overlord

Kotaku is such garbage, it (and the rest of Gawker eMdia) needs to be wiped off the face of the earth.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #298
cybermind

yeah, Kotaku isnt even a english word... are they anime obsessed or something???? When you hear the word Kotaku you expect to click the review link and see a bunch of japanese symbols or something. Besides this, half the reviews are irrelavant. I click a link in lost planet 2 in the news, it brings me to some Kotaku link with people who cosplay Lost Planet 2... Should that really be in the news of my game?? Especially that game - I should read in the Lost Planet 2 news that they fixed all the problems with that horrible console port - NOT THAT PEOPLE ARE COSPLAYING IT !!! more than likely console owners of that horrid excuse for a pc game !A owner of the PC version would likely bring a disc of that game to the cosplay and smash it !
Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #299
chrischameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetami View Post
If anything they should at least put up PA Report there. I hear it's all about quality news.
I really don't like PA, but their journalism/news site is rather refreshing and classy.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #300
Obsidian1510

Open question to Valve:

With Kotaku recently becoming a class A journalism outlet, when can we anticipate its removal from the Steam news feeds?

(( aside:
For the unaware, Kotaku is currently participating in hardcore hate-mongering: http://i43.tinypic.com/118pu1f.jpg
))
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion