Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Trine series

Old 03-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
mule001

Banned
Trine 1 not working

Apparently after downloading and installing it, it won't go pass the launch settings.

Any solutions?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
JoelFB

Frozenbyte
What are your system specs? It sounds a bit like your graphics card might be insufficient, perhaps an old integrated one. Let me know and we can see how to proceed from there...

Old 03-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
mule001

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelFB View Post
What are your system specs? It sounds a bit like your graphics card might be insufficient, perhaps an old integrated one. Let me know and we can see how to proceed from there...
woah - not an old integrated one.

intel i7 bloomfield oc'ed 3.22ghz
ati 6950 sapphire 2GB
6GB ram
windows 7

and so on..
mule001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
JoelFB

Frozenbyte
Heh okay. Yeah it's either a DirectX or PhysX issue. Have you installed PhysX? You'll need the PhysX drivers even with an ATi card.

You can also go to the game's folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\trine\ ) and launch trine.exe directly. It should show you an error message that might help us figure out the cause.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
mule001

Banned
I can access the game now from the trine folder but I can't access it via steam.

and i'll brb - class is starting lol
Old 03-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
JoelFB

Frozenbyte
Ah, so you mean the game works fine when you launch trine.exe directly? Then it sounds like something's a bit off with the Steam client in this case. I'm not quite sure how to fix that... but perhaps you could just create a shortcut or something and use that to play instead, it's not ideal but might be easier than trying to figure out the actual problem...

Old 03-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
mule001

Banned
Quote:
Ah, so you mean the game works fine when you launch trine.exe directly? Then it sounds like something's a bit off with the Steam client in this case. I'm not quite sure how to fix that... but perhaps you could just create a shortcut or something and use that to play instead, it's not ideal but might be easier than trying to figure out the actual problem...
Yes that's right. I guess steam's the one with the issue, not the game.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
Shad0WeN

you would need to use the launcher to change your graphics settings though. at least in a user-friendly way anyhow
Shad0WeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
conde_cadista

Here doesnt work.

I always played it well.
In christmas, my pc crashed and I formated it.

I install now trine and same that this guy .

I want to play it, only played it for a while!
conde_cadista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
JoelFB

Frozenbyte
Sorry to hear. Have you tried running trine.exe directly from the game folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\trine\ ) ? That should give a more elaborate error message. If it says something about PhysXCore.dll or such, then the problem is PhysX and we need to install it on the system. For Radeon cards it's easy, just download it separately, for NVIDIA you could first try updating the graphics drivers in general.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
conde_cadista

Yes, it told me "didn't find PhysXLoader.dll. Maybe reinstallating could solve the problem".

I have NVIDIA.
conde_cadista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #12
JoelFB

Frozenbyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by conde_cadista View Post
Yes, it told me "didn't find PhysXLoader.dll. Maybe reinstallating could solve the problem". I have NVIDIA.
Ok, that's clearly a PhysX issue then. It's possible that the easiest way to get this working is to 1) uninstall current graphics drivers, 2) install the separate PhysX drivers, 3) reinstall the graphics drivers again. It can be a little bit of a pain but it tends to solve the problem...

Old 03-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
Dark5id3

Unhappy

Quote:
Sorry to hear. Have you tried running trine.exe directly from the game folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\trine\ ) ? That should give a more elaborate error message. If it says something about PhysXCore.dll or such, then the problem is PhysX and we need to install it on the system. For Radeon cards it's easy, just download it separately, for NVIDIA you could first try updating the graphics drivers in general.

I am having the same issue and I have done what you said above and....no go. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game. I have uninstalled the physx driver and downloaded again from your link and still....no go. If I start the game from the .exe file, I get "this application has failed to start because PhysXLoader.dll was not found".

My specs are....

Intel Core i7 2.67GHz
6gbs RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870X2
Vista 64bit

I have been reading threads in this forum and in the Frozenbyte forum and cannot find anyone who still couldn't get the game running after doing the PhysX driver download. Am I maybe doing something wrong?

I, also, might add that I play Trine 2 without any problems.
Dark5id3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
JoelFB

Frozenbyte
Trine 2 incorporates the PhysX stuff inside the executables (which is a great new feature that we can't use with Trine unfortunately). That's why it works so flawlessly...

Since you have a Radeon, it should be reasonably easy to get PhysX installed. Did the installer complete ok, with no errors? You could also try the silent install method (/quiet or some other parameter - search for PhysX quiet install or so).

Also check if PhysX has made a Start menu folder, and if there's a test program there.

Then you could check the C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Engine and see what folders exist. Trine needs 2.8.1 if I remember right. In theory you could possibly copy the files there to the Trine folder if all else fails, even if that's not really recommended and may not work perfectly...

Old 03-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
Dark5id3

Quote:
Trine 2 incorporates the PhysX stuff inside the executables (which is a great new feature that we can't use with Trine unfortunately). That's why it works so flawlessly...

Since you have a Radeon, it should be reasonably easy to get PhysX installed. Did the installer complete ok, with no errors? You could also try the silent install method (/quiet or some other parameter - search for PhysX quiet install or so).

Also check if PhysX has made a Start menu folder, and if there's a test program there.

Then you could check the C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Engine and see what folders exist. Trine needs 2.8.1 if I remember right. In theory you could possibly copy the files there to the Trine folder if all else fails, even if that's not really recommended and may not work perfectly...

First of all, the driver wouldn't install because of the missing PhysXLoader.dll file. I found a program that fixes that and now I have the PhysXLoader.dll. So now the game starts but crashes about 4 minutes in. This is what the log file says.....

"25.3.2012 [15:25]
DEBUG: Driver 0(Primary Sound Driver) -- does NOT support EAX
DEBUG: Driver 1(Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)) -- does NOT support EAX
DEBUG: Driver 2(Digital Output Device (HDMI) (High Definition Audio Device)) -- does NOT support EAX
DEBUG: Driver 3(Digital Output Device (SPDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)) -- does NOT support EAX
DEBUG: Hardware sound channels initialized: 0
ERROR: PhysicsLib - Failed to create PhysX SDK"

I did do a search on the /quiet install and I don't understand how to do it. I couldn't find instructions that were in 'layman' terms.

Edit....OK, I did the /quiet install and now the game is working. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Dark5id3: 03-25-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: problem solved
Dark5id3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Trine series