Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Saints Row 2

Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Turbo Chaos X

Saints Row 2 Defies Me

I have the common problem that SR2 crashes shortly after the gamespy logo. Now Im aware of the many "fixes" that dont work, so please dont suggest them, that includes FAQ's.

However I do have an idea as why it wont start... It hasnt installed any files into C:/users/profile name/appdata/local/THQ/Saints Row 2, the folder your supposed to go to for some of the fixes, the only thing I find there is one file labeled input.bin.

Im guessing this is just a bad copy/download of the game if thats even possible.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
GRS9

Banned
Please read the FAQ.
GRS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Turbo Chaos X

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS9 View Post
Just wow man, just wow.
Turbo Chaos X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
IdolNinja

It's kind of difficult to help if you tell us that every single known fix listed in the faq doesn't help you. That "Saints Row 2" folder you mentioned should only contain a few files:

input.bin - Created when you change controls from the default. It shouldn't even exist by merely trying to start the game

settings.dat - Contains other config like resolution and other video and audio settings and is created on launch if it doesn't exist

profile.dat - Created only when you start a new game and contains statistics for all characters.

_[numbers].bbsave - each one is a save file

Crashing like you are experiencing sounds like a problem with trying to create a settings.dat file. Are you absolutely certain that you tried the 800x600 windowed version of this file linked in the faq and that you put it in the right place?

Also, if you already have input.bin, did you install any mods like the Gentlemen of the Row which installs it as part of the 360 onscreen button mod? If so, you need to revert to vanilla and get it working that way first before clouding things with mod installs.

Did you preemptively install Powertools? This can cause crashing issues for some people if you are running fullscreen instead of windowed. You can uninstall Powertools by deleting the symbolic link to dxfreezerserver.dll that was created.

Assuming you're running anything other than vanilla, your best bet is to first verify integrity and kill the powertools install to make sure you can get it running correctly vanilla first. Then start introducing things like mods and powertools into the mix and see if something specific is causing the problem.
IdolNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Turbo Chaos X

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdolNinja View Post
It's kind of difficult to help if you tell us that every single known fix listed in the faq doesn't help you. That "Saints Row 2" folder you mentioned should only contain a few files:

input.bin - Created when you change controls from the default. It shouldn't even exist by merely trying to start the game

settings.dat - Contains other config like resolution and other video and audio settings and is created on launch if it doesn't exist

profile.dat - Created only when you start a new game and contains statistics for all characters.

_[numbers].bbsave - each one is a save file

Crashing like you are experiencing sounds like a problem with trying to create a settings.dat file. Are you absolutely certain that you tried the 800x600 windowed version of this file linked in the faq and that you put it in the right place?

Also, if you already have input.bin, did you install any mods like the Gentlemen of the Row which installs it as part of the 360 onscreen button mod? If so, you need to revert to vanilla and get it working that way first before clouding things with mod installs.

Did you preemptively install Powertools? This can cause crashing issues for some people if you are running fullscreen instead of windowed. You can uninstall Powertools by deleting the symbolic link to dxfreezerserver.dll that was created.

Assuming you're running anything other than vanilla, your best bet is to first verify integrity and kill the powertools install to make sure you can get it running correctly vanilla first. Then start introducing things like mods and powertools into the mix and see if something specific is causing the problem.
Yes Im sure, where the hell else am I supposed to put it besides the folder in THQ that says Saints Row 2, I also now it works because it did start up in windowed mode, and crashed!

Alright, maybe I wasnt clear on the fact that I bought the game last week during the steam sale, so unless your going to tell me that mods are installed along with the game, I did not download any mods, nor did I install any.

So in a complete nutshell, I am tryng to run the vanilla version, which continues to crash in windowed, and full screen mode, with all compatibility options enabled.

One more thing, when the game started up, I simply pressed buttons on my xbox controller and it worked, and again, no I did not install any mods enabling that feature, and I already tried unplugging non essential usb devices.

Last edited by Turbo Chaos X: 03-15-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
IdolNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Chaos X View Post
Yes Im sure, where the hell else am I supposed to put it
If you're going to cop that kind of belligerent and antagonistic attitude toward people trying to help you then I only have one suggestion on where the hell else you can stick that file.
IdolNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Turbo Chaos X

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdolNinja View Post
If you're going to cop that kind of belligerent and antagonistic attitude toward people trying to help you then I only have one suggestion on where the hell else you can stick that file.
Look if your going to take serious offense from that... Then you have some problems that need to be resolved.

I imagine your flustered right now, so Im just gonna leave you alone to lick your wounds, Ill find help elsewhere.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
GRS9

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Chaos X View Post
Just wow man, just wow.
The FAQ does list a possible solution to his problem.
GRS9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Saints Row 2