Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 03-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Eisenford

Sid Meier's Civilization V Error! Please Help!

I recently purchased Civilization V during the weekend deals, and I have encountered an error every time I try to launch the game. The problem is coming from "civilizationv.exe", but whenever I search for it on my computer I can't find that file. Whenever I validate my files, it tells me that one file is missing, and that it will be reacquired. Well, that isn't totally true because whenever I validate my files again, it still says that one file is missing. This leads me to believe that the execution file wasn't properly put into my computer.

The only thing that I'm lacking when it comes to the minimum requirements for running this game is 1GB of RAM. Would that be enough to completely inhibit me from even starting up the game? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

P.S, I have looked at the sticky for troubleshooting various errors. The ones that I believe would have affected me are not working.

Last edited by Eisenford: 03-14-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Worstluck

Yes, only 1GB of ram will probably prevent you from running the game. The game has a minimum requirement of 2GB, that is BARE minimum.
Worstluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Eisenford

I've heard people say that their computer will run Civilization V on 1GB of RAM. Surely this couldn't be an issue on my part?
Eisenford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Ivanho

I have a similar problem and my system is well within required minimums. The game will load to the game setup screen, then always crashes to desktop identifying the error with "civilizationv.exe". I've tried all the suggested fixes (update video drivers, reload DXSetup.exe and vcredist_x86.exe from the "sid meier's civilization v" directory, verified game cache, ensured "Allow" boxes are checked for "Admin" and "System" for both "Full control" and "Read", skipped the intro video, and started the game directly from the executable in the game directory) with no success.

After 9 hours downloading the game, and another 4 hours trying to make it work, I suspect that this game simply won't play on some unlucky combinations of CPU/video card/operating system. I should have downloaded the demo first and saved my money.
Ivanho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Eisenford

I've previously searched for files such as "usersettings.ini" and "GraphicsSettingsDX9." I've checked my ENTIRE "C:" and I'm incapable of finding these files, any assistance here?

I've also noticed that I don't have a "My Games" folder, is this an issue? How should I correct it?

Last edited by Eisenford: 03-15-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Worstluck

Well I am sorry, I am not too familiar with this game as I just have recently bought it as well. Generally though, if a game requires a certain amount of memory, depending on what OS you are using, you need to have that amount of memory. You can sometimes get by on a lacking CPU/GPU, but with lacking memory, most games will just crash right away or fail to even start.

Those files should be located in the following path for Windows 7/Vista:

C:\Users\YOUR COMPUTER NAME\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5

If you are using Windows XP, you may not have a my games folder. In that case I believe these folders will just be in the my documents folder (it's been a while since I have used XP extensively sorry). If you don't have those files, I would completely uninstall the game. Then reinstall it, restart the Steam, then try to play the game. Good luck.
Worstluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
Eisenford

I've downloaded the entire game again without any anti-virus software on, and then reinstalled it. I'm still having the same exact issue. The files that were missing beforehand are still missing. Civilization V is not appearing in "My Documents" as you suggested, I can only access that folder through folders such as "C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V"

I'm beginning to believe that is is a problem that is related with Steam itself. Should I give their tech support a call? I've asked questions on the 2k forums and I've been through Steam's support page with no cure to this technical ailment.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Stexred

cant you go for more ram?

and on what operating system do you have it ?
Stexred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Eisenford

I'm not entirely sure on whether I can get more ram or not. I believe I have my motherboard/whatnot maxed out for what it can hold.

I'm running on Windows XP Home Edition.

Do you have any idea on why some of the files aren't downloading properly.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
Stexred

if its just 1 file then you have it all with some steam games it stays at 1
on xp the ini's should be at c:\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\
but since your game crashes before it runs civ 5 it wont be created i guess

i guess there no way you can run the game with just 1gb ram

save money for a better system
Stexred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
Eisenford

I don't have a My Games folder.
A previous poster said that they would be found in My Documents, but they are not found there either.
I've checked my entire "C:" and the ones that I've searched for are nowhere to be found.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series