Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sniper: Ghost Warrior

Old 03-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
willy508

Post Cannot activate Steam

Game always played well. Now whenever I attempt to start game (at the updating Steam box) I get blue screen saying ...check video drivers and hard drive space.

35 GB left on hard drive. Installed current video drivers for NeVidia 9300 GT. Ran a Malware bytes scan and Panda Antivirus scan. Also, ran a Defrag and got a dialog box saying all files defragged except two Steam files. I did not get the names of files.

At start up, get a box saying system has recovered has recovered from serious error.

System...Dell XPS 4...P4 3.2GHZ ...3GB RAM ...Nevidia 9800 GT 1 GB memory

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
FiatLux

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy508 View Post
Game always played well. Now whenever I attempt to start game (at the updating Steam box) I get blue screen saying ...check video drivers and hard drive space.

35 GB left on hard drive. Installed current video drivers for NeVidia 9300 GT. Ran a Malware bytes scan and Panda Antivirus scan. Also, ran a Defrag and got a dialog box saying all files defragged except two Steam files. I did not get the names of files.

At start up, get a box saying system has recovered has recovered from serious error.

System...Dell XPS 4...P4 3.2GHZ ...3GB RAM ...Nevidia 9800 GT 1 GB memory

Any help would be much appreciated.
What is you O.S. ?

You write that you "At start up, get a box saying system has recovered from serious error." , is that at Windows startup ? - if so then you could be looking at a serious software or hardware problem ! ("Blue Screen errors" are in general not a very good sign)

Have you tried using "Last known good configuration" ? Or the Windows "System Restore" function ?

If you get problems also when starting Windows you may have damaged system files which can occur both with some types of hardware failure and software problems. If you have any of those then trying to fix your Steam client ought not to be the "fix of the problem" !!!

If you have problems at Windows startup and with Windows itself then please direct your energy at fixing whatever is causing this problem prior to attempting to look at "Steam issues".....
Things that can damage your system files could be (but not limited to) issues like "harddrive fault" , "RAM fault" and Virus or malware issue... (please note that some of these issues sometimes can be very hard to pinpoint exactly , as both a manufacturers tool to examine a harddrive, in some cases, may fail to find a fault on a harddrive and e.g. Virus and Malware can be hard to nail sometimes !!!)
But if you have Windows problems you are advised to use tools to examine your harddrive (use drive manufacturers tool) and RAM , plus do extensive scans for virus and malware including in "Safe mode".... and with an "up to date" Anti Virus manufacturers Boot CD for AV-scanning....

If your O.S. have damaged system files then even after nailing the cause of the problem it could be that you have to repair or re-install your O.S.

In a case like yours a harddrive image based backup stored on an external drive could have been of great help !!!!

Anyway , a semi clean up of Steam install could go like this :

(You will need your Steam login credentials for this !!!)
Please exit Steam and go to the folder called C:\Program Files\Steam\ (this is the default location for a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it).
Delete all of the files in this folder except:
The \Steamapps\ folder and Steam.exe (this file is listed as an application and features the black and white Steam logo)
Restart your computer.
Then, launch Steam.exe from within the Steam installation folder, and not from a pre-existing shortcut.
With Steam running, re-test the original issue.
Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

Last edited by FiatLux: 03-10-2012 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Cleaning up post
FiatLux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
willy508

Post Thanks!

I have no issues with my OS which is XP. I tried what you suggested with no change. The error box occurs when I use a shortcut to access Steam. It will say "Updating Steam" before the blue screen crash. Prior to this I did not need to enter my password to access Steam. Now it requires a password at each log in.
willy508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
arizonachris

If you are getting a message saying the system has recovered from a serious error, something is wrong with Windows, or your hard drive. Also a chance your video card is dying. Like Fiat suggested, you need to run a diagnostic on that hard drive, and I suggest clean up some space. 35Gb these days is not very much at all.

Steam requiring a password means you don't have the "remember my login" box checked.

How long has it been since you took the side cover off that PC and, using a canned air duster, blew out all the dust bunnies?
arizonachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
willy508

Post Thanks!

Thanks for your input. I'll give it a try.
willy508 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sniper: Ghost Warrior