Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 03-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #31
kont@ct

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr0v3 View Post
The Macbook Pro's lighter and smaller, so it'd be easier to carry around college. Surprisingly, the Macbook Pro also has the better GPU if you're going to be doing any gaming. Also,

This.
No, not this. He can install any variant of the free Linux OS on a Windows PC so does not need OSX because it is a Unix OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy72294 View Post
I've had macs all my life till October of 2011.... they run incredibly hot (both our iMac and macbook), and sometimes they're just infuriating to use. I did like the fact I didn't really need an AV on it though... and I feel that PC's are generally easier to repair compared to macs.
What do you mean you didn't need an AV on it?

Last edited by rotNdude: 03-19-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: learn how to use the multi-quote feature
kont@ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #32
Fatimmortal

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecJ32 View Post
A 14" laptop with a higher screen resolution will give a larger 'workspace' for the user. At the same time, the 14" HP laptop is only .2 pounds heavier than the Macbook. Unless you are bed-ridden and on the verge of death, the extra .2 pounds is not going to make any form of difference at all. Zero physical mobility is given up. You're really only losing battery life by going with the HP. Of course, in a campus where every student has a laptop, I would expect power outlets on all the desks. Like I said before, when I worked at a University that provided students with laptops, they had power outlets at most of the desks because they were anticipating students using laptops in their classes.

Maybe you're failing to register the fact that a 14" laptop is still a small laptop, and thus, regardless of anything, still offers the mobility of a small laptop because that's what it is. So even though it is a larger laptop with a larger workspace (...which doesn't have to be physical. A higher resolution display of the same size would give a larger workspace to the user.), it still provides mobility. Clearly this device can have both, especially since we're only speaking relative to the alternative choice: The Macbook pro.

I'm honestly not sure why you're in here giving meaningless rebuttals to every post that doesn't favor the Macbook pro. You've made your opinion clear several thousand times already. However, as others have pointed out, if the thread starter cares about performance or the higher resolution display (which it seems he does), the HP is absolutely the better way to go, plain and simple.
These.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kont@ct View Post
No, not this. He can install any variant of the free Linux OS on a Windows PC so does not need OSX because it is a Unix OS.
I said this two times already.

Quote:
For the most part, you won't be needing an antivirus on OSX. That applies for Linux too.
Fatimmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #33
kont@ct

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatimmortal View Post
These.

I said this two times already.

For the most part, you won't be needing an antivirus on OSX. That applies for Linux too.
Yea, and I didn't read every post to find out if you said it two times or not already.

If OSX and Linux are impervious to virus's then explain the existence of ClamAV for Linux.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #34
Fatimmortal

Banned
Quote:
Yea, and I didn't read every post to find out if you said it two times or not already.

If OSX and Linux are impervious to virus's then explain the existence of ClamAV for Linux.
It's fine.

And I did say for the MOST part, especially against viruses meant for Windows. Other than that, OSX and Linux are completely vulnerable to a whole list of shenanigans.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #35
kont@ct

Banned
Then you shouldn't say won't need an AV on them, because you still do, just not as much as a Windows PC. OSX is getting attacked more frequently now since it is getting more popular with the sandals and black socks set.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #36
Fatimmortal

Banned
My bad, then. Though it wasn't me who originally said it in this thread. I ALWAYS emphasize on getting an AV no matter what OS anyone is using. You never know when a new malware pops up and kicks your computer right in the e-nuts.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #37
Zodiark1593

How did a supposedly quick hardware comparison turn into this ugly mess? Talk about being aboard the Derail Express.

FYI, All computers can get viruses regardless of your choice of OS and should have some sort of AV.
Zodiark1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #38
skippy72294

Quote:
I never viewed anything... erm... "bad" on it. I don't pirate, and I taught everyone else in my house what to look out for. The only time I came close to a virus on a mac was that macdefender scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patflute View Post
^ is true MACs are very hot. I'm guessing you have a desktop at home where you play games?

Oh there are only 3... Then I would go with the HP you said.
Yep, I used to game on a 20" iMac with a Radeon 2600 "pro", aka an underclocked 2600XT. Easily hit 180F on the CPU, ~205F on the GPU if I was stressing them. Our white polycarbonate macbook runs the same way, threatens to melt through your crotch if you do anything more than browse the web.
skippy72294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #39
Fatimmortal

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy72294 View Post
Yep, I used to game on a 20" iMac with a Radeon 2600 "pro", aka an underclocked 2600XT. Easily hit 180F on the CPU, ~205F on the GPU if I was stressing them. Our white polycarbonate macbook runs the same way, threatens to melt through your crotch if you do anything more than browse the web.
It's what you get for a AIO/laptop with barely enough room within the internals to expend air and that's the biggest downside of Macs that I know of.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #40
MrSniker

I'd get the HP, it is better performance wise, though it may take a hit on the battery life. If I were you I'd decide what you'd use the computer for and take it from there.

Couldn't he just install Mac OS on the HP laptop instead of installing the Windows 7 for $100 on a Mac? I've never really looked into it, but I can't imagine it being that difficult.

To me it seems that basing the TC's purchase off OS is pretty stupid since everyone seems to be encouraging the TC to dual boot anyways.
MrSniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #41
Lamperi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSniker View Post
I'd get the HP, it is better performance wise, though it may take a hit on the battery life. If I were you I'd decide what you'd use the computer for and take it from there.

Couldn't he just install Mac OS on the HP laptop instead of installing the Windows 7 for $100 on a Mac? I've never really looked into it, but I can't imagine it being that difficult.

To me it seems that basing the TC's purchase off OS is pretty stupid since everyone seems to be encouraging the TC to dual boot anyways.
Actually you can not install Mac OSX into anything but a Mac.

The portability of 13" Macbook Pro is great; I'm using one myself, carrying it everywhery I go. The inner Unix system is very valuable for me, as I can easily run lots of programming languages and software available for POSIX-systems. You can also consider it as an exercise to learn another operating system!

I have also heard good stuff about Elitebooks, but haven't used them myself.
Lamperi is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems