Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher, The

Old 03-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Bilateralrope

Question about one decision in chapter 3 (spoilers)

How can leaving Alvin with Shani instead of Triss even look like a good idea ?

By the point you have to make that decision, Salamandra have already taken him twice. Once in chapter 1, and again in chapter 3. It's clear they are going to try again. Triss is a sorcerer, Shani is only a human.

From the mage glossary entry:
Quote:
Only rare individuals have the potential to become mages and many of those with this potential are doomed to madness. Unless the individual in question — known as a Source — learns to control their power quickly, he or she may end up a half-insane, slobbering oracle
Sure, Triss is part of a female only group of sorcerers, but they should at least have some plans to deal with males who have magic.
Shani has no magic training. So she can't help prevent Alvin going insane from his magic. But she could bring the plague home from the hospital.

Shani lives in a rented room, with an old woman below* who doesn't seem to like anyone. Triss owns her own house in a much more expensive part of town. So Triss is in a better position to care for Alvin.

*Unless you kill that old lady, then I don't know who inherits that house, or if they will let Shani keep renting it.

But the very worst thing against Shani: You did leave Alvin in her care in chapter 1. She quickly game him to the local witch.

Am I missing something ?

Every other big decision, and all the small ones I can think of, had enough ambiguity to them that I can see why someone would chose either option. But this one is very one sided.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
Jiggy727

The sex card, and cut scene are worth Alvin's lack of education and training, imo. In the end, it's the same outcome.
Jiggy727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Linkark07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy727 View Post
The sex card, and cut scene are worth Alvin's lack of education and training, imo. In the end, it's the same outcome.
Agreed although I was so desperate to play Witcher 2 that I forgot the sex card.

In the end, the outcome is the same. The only difference is how Triss and Shani will treat you in the next chapters I think. For me, Triss treated Geralt in a cold way. Dunno if Shani treats you like that if you choose Triss.

As for Alvis, his destiny will always be the same.
Linkark07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
Bilateralrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkark07 View Post
Agreed although I was so desperate to play Witcher 2 that I forgot the sex card.

In the end, the outcome is the same. The only difference is how Triss and Shani will treat you in the next chapters I think. For me, Triss treated Geralt in a cold way. Dunno if Shani treats you like that if you choose Triss.

As for Alvis, his destiny will always be the same.
Oh if you chose Triss, Shani wants nothing to do with you for the rest of chapter 3. She only tolerates you in chapter 5.

But what happens after isn't really the point. The Witcher has lost of decisions which come back to bite you with unintended consequences. Decisions which don't have a clear right answer when you have to make them.

The Shani/Triss choice stands out as a decision which, based on what you know when you make it, has a clear right answer: Send Alvin to the person who can better protect him, can help prevent his magic driving him insane, and didn't give him up in the first chapter.
Bilateralrope is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher, The