Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Auditorium

Old 02-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
JoeB

Differences from the Flash version?

I'm just curious. Is there any difference between the retail version on Steam and the free "flash" version (other than the convenience of it being on Steam rather than through a web browser)? In other words, is there additional content and features that the flash one doesn't have?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
NalgasDLemur

It's the same as the non-free Flash version. The only "free" one I'm aware of is the demo. This one is the same as the full, paid version that has a good deal more levels than the demo does.
NalgasDLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
ewichern

Beware, no way to change the resolution, and it looks pretty bad on a large monitor at 1920x1080. Reading the developers' blog it appears they have no plans to port over the "HD" content from the PS3 version. I'd imagine that includes both levels and artwork.
ewichern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
wcoastsands

Cipher Prime
@JoeB: NalgasDLemur is right. With the Steam version of Auditorium you get all the same levels available in the paid web version. The free version is just a demo. For the moment it also appears the same (on PC anyway, Mac handles higher resolutions pretty well), as ewichern points out. The latest version of the Adobe Air SDK supports hardware acceleration, which makes the game look magnitudes better at higher resolutions, but it's still interpolated from its original resolution of 830x466. The SDK isn't natively supported in Flash Pro yet, though. Planning to have hardware support implemented in an update once we get it working properly.

We brought Auditorium to Steam by popular demand. It's the same as what you would get with the paid web version without having to go through the browser. The Steam version of Auditorium also uses a level selection overlay menu similar to Auditorium HD that the web version doesn't have. But this is as far as we plan to go with Auditorium. Our future development work is focused on the sequel, Auditorium 2: Duet. We'll be developing Auditorium 2: Duet in Unity instead of Flash, and the game will be designed to support Steam features such as cloud support, leaderboards, and achievements from the get go. The game is going to look beautiful at any resolution. It's going to be bigger, better, and -- most importantly -- it's going to be multiplayer!
wcoastsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Johnny Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewichern View Post
...it looks pretty bad on a large monitor at 1920x1080.
I think that judgement depends entirely on one's tolerance for being able to see pixels. Scaled up to 1920x1080, the stairstep-y effect is noticeable on the circular objects, but it's anti-aliased and I honestly stopped noticing after a few minutes. Generally as you play you're focussed on the particle effects and the music.

Anyway it sounds like interested folks could try out the web demo and see for themselves.
Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
wcoastsands

Cipher Prime
@Johnny Law: Thanks for the input Much appreciated.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
JoeB

Thanks for letting me know. I guess the one I was playing in fact the demo. Namely the flash version that played in the web browser (only I couldn't really tell it was a demo since I didn't reach the end of it).
JoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
wcoastsands

Cipher Prime
Update just went live. Added GPU rendering support. Graphics look significantly better at higher resolutions. Steam overlay now works under Windows XP. The "demo" issue that appeared upon finishing the game is also resolved.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Auditorium