Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 03-22-2012, 05:24 AM   #1
nber1601

Angry Steam.exe (main exception): to run Steam, you must first connect to the internet

Hi,

I posted before about a steam error and it still hasn't worked.

I contacted steam and they gave me a list of things to do and none worked. All it did was give me a new error saying: Steam.exe (main exception): to run steam, you must first connect to the internet.

I told them and they say,"Please explain in more detail and take a screenshot of the problem," and they gave me links on how to take a screenshot and so on.

How exactly will a screenshot help when I already said that a box popped up saying this error?

This error will pop up when I try to access my Railworks 3 game or when I click into the steam program. When I click into either of those, it says Steam updating. . . . . then, boom! Steam.exe (main exception): to run steam, you must first connect to the internet.

Eventually, I would like to play the game in offline mode, but Steam has to connect to the internet in order for me to play offline. Does that make any sense?

Has anyone else had this error and how did you solve it?

I have probably tried everything I can think of.

I basically think it's a waste of time to contact steam especially when this is how they reply.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
Satoru

Try deleting everything EXCEPT steam.exe and the steamapps folder and re-run steam.

Also it looks like a connection issue, which might mean Steam is blocked. Are you at a school/workplace or attempting to run Steam through a 3G card of some kind?

Also see if Steam is running in compatibility mode

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1876684

Usually this is also because either there's a anti-virus program blocking, or the router firewall, or a local windows firewall is blocking the app.

Also a Hijack This log would be helpful

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

Last edited by Satoru: 03-22-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
nber1601

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
Try deleting everything EXCEPT steam.exe and the steamapps folder and re-run steam.

Also it looks like a connection issue, which might mean Steam is blocked. Are you at a school/workplace or attempting to run Steam through a 3G card of some kind?

Also see if Steam is running in compatibility mode

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1876684

Usually this is also because either there's a anti-virus program blocking, or the router firewall, or a local windows firewall is blocking the app.

Also a Hijack This log would be helpful

http://sourceforge.net/projects/athjt/
I already tried the first thing you told me to do. Steam support told me to do it, but nothing worked.

I have made sure that nothing was blocking the app.

About 6-8 months ago, steam worked perfectly, until I tried to get on it one day. It has not worked since then.

I believe I have tried everything possible and I am on the verge of asking for a refund from steam and taking my business elsewhere.

If I would uninstall all my games and the Steam program, would I be able to download them again from the Steam website?

Also, if I would buy Railworks 3 on a disc(instead of the download from steam), will I still be able to download add-ons from Steam and be able to use them with the Railworks 3 game that is on the disc?
Thanks.
nber1601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
nber1601

if I have my games backed up on another computer, can I delete Steam and everything off my computer and reinstall it?

I was going to try that today, but I wanted to get some advice first.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
TeKraken

Try reboot your router first - if you use one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nber1601 View Post
if I have my games backed up on another computer, can I delete Steam and everything off my computer and reinstall it?

I was going to try that today, but I wanted to get some advice first.

Thanks.
If you have a copy of steammapps folder or a backup of your games yes you can uninstal and reinstall.

Make copies of your game saves first.

You may need access to your email account for Steamgaurd.

How much success you have with the 'Steam backup' app though...? Some have trouble with it, hence the copy of steammapps folder method is one I prefer.

The worst that can happen is you will have to download all your games again.
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
nber1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKraken View Post
Try reboot your router first - if you use one.

If you have a copy of steammapps folder or a backup of your games yes you can uninstal and reinstall.

Make copies of your game saves first.

You may need access to your email account for Steamgaurd.

How much success you have with the 'Steam backup' app though...? Some have trouble with it, hence the copy of steammapps folder method is one I prefer.

The worst that can happen is you will have to download all your games again.
I just tried my idea and it didn't work.

I was reading somewhere else about steam guard. I guess it's when you are logged into a computer and try to get on another computer at the same time.

What I don't get is, steam works fine on the other SLOW computer and not the other computer. Would this be an issue with me logged in on the other computer? The other computer is usually off though.

Here's where I heard of that: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1&postcount=91

Thanks.

Last edited by nber1601: 03-24-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
TeKraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by nber1601 View Post
About 6-8 months ago, steam worked perfectly, until I tried to get on it one day. It has not worked since then.
And nothing has changed on your system? No new hardware?

Yeah steam guard will send a code to your email just to make sure it is you who is trying to access the account from a new PC (sometimes hardware).
You just have to input the code before it will let you log in.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
nber1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKraken View Post
And nothing has changed on your system? No new hardware?
Nope, no new hardware.

Steam has wrote me and asked for a screenshot, but how will a screenshot help when I already wrote, "hey, there's this box that pops up when I go to access steam and it says Steam.exe (main exception): to run steam, you must first connect to the internet."

I would reply with a screenshot, but I don't know how to take a screenshot, etc.

I think that this is a problem on Steam's end that really needs fixed, soon.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
TeKraken

to take a screen shot you can:

Press your 'print screen' key and paste (ctrl+V) it into a new 'paint' document.
Save as name.JPG

Also, you could test to make sure the correct ports are open for steam to run:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2594795

(4th post)

Last edited by TeKraken: 03-24-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
nber1601

here are the test results:

Steam Port Tester

Result - FAILURE

* Ports: TCP 27014-27050 UDP 1500,3005,3101,3478,4379,4380,27000-27030,28960
* Firebind has detected Sun Microsystems Inc. Java 1.6.0_22 for Windows XP (x86)

Completed:
100%
Left:

* TCP Result: FAILURE
* Testing TCP Port: done
* TCP Passed:
* TCP Failed: 27014-27050
* TCP Test Error:

* UDP Result: FAILURE
* Testing UDP Port: done
* UDP Passed:
* UDP Failed: 1500,3005,3101,3478,4379-4380,27000-27030,28960
* UDP Test Error:

Detailed Results

* TCP Passed:
* UDP Passed:
* TCP Handshake Connection Initiation Failure:
* UDP Handshake Connection Initiation Failure:
* TCP Handshake Connection Refused:
* UDP Handshake Connection Refused:
* TCP Handshake Connection Timeout: 27014-27050
* UDP Handshake Connection Timeout:
* TCP Handshake Connection Failure:
* UDP Handshake Connection Failure:
* TCP Payload Send Failure:
* UDP Payload Send Failure:
* TCP Payload Receive Timeout:
* UDP Payload Receive Timeout: 1500,3005,3101,3478,4379-4380,27000-27030,28960

What does this mean?
Thanks.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
nber1601

please help me understand those results.
Thanks.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
lay92117

Screen shot. Fix it now please.

http://i46.tinypic.com/fedx7c.jpg

ALSO in thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...ception&page=6
this issue has been going on for YEARS. Please help us now, this is really poor service if this issue has been around for years and still no solution.

This guy had a good thing to say in other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty0x0 View Post
I'm having the same issue as the rest of you (Steam reporting and error that I'm not connected to the internet). I've tried all the solutions listed in this thread with zero success.

Now listen. None of the solutions on this thread really address the true problem. Here's how I know this. Steam was working fine last week. This week without adding any new hardware or software on THREE different computers on the network, they all suddenly report the same error.

One computer uses Vista64, another uses Vista32, and the 3rd PC uses Windows 7 (64x). All of these computers could connect to Steam last week, but none can this week!

It can't be Virus software, it isn't Firewalls, or anything else like that because each of these computers, without changing any security configurations, worked just fine a few days ago, and now none of them do.

Every other program connects to the internet, so it's not a hardware problem. I've even looked at my router (which hasn't changed) configuration and it has all the Steam ports enabled (which it automatically did on Steam installation a long time ago).

Something isn't working properly down the line. Steam's installer either has a bug connecting for its updates or whatever, or my ISP has blocked their servers without telling me, and I seriously doubt that, since many others have the same issue.

This is purely a Steam issue. They've messed something up in their latest client servers or the client software.
lay92117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
lay92117

Lets find the solution to this please...

I cannot believe the service, I have worked since a very young age and run my own business, I am currently 19 and I am disgusted that you people cannot do simple things. So here is some advice. And yes, you should be shocked that a kid can tell you this.

1: If you do not know what the problem is, man up and at least INFORM us that you have no idea what the problem is, some closure is great, none of this "no reply" crap.
2: Tell us you will try your best to resolve the issue, just show us that you care even a little bit.
3: Apologise for the issue as it looks like it is purely a Steam issue (not saying that it is, but from what I have gathered it looks like it) and even if it isn't your fault, a little kindness goes a long way.

Now please, help us, just tell us what you know and if you know nothing, tell us that too and we can all work together to figure it out.

This issue has been going on for years with no official solution, so please I ask again, help us.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
lay92117

Will keep bumping until we get a reply.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #15
megakoresh

Just got this issue today. I never had it before and I have been using this for 8 years (since launch)!
megakoresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips