Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 03-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
ManOfManyWords

Banned
The Problem with TF2

The original QWTF mod had a lot of potential, sadly shadowed by the more technically advanced videogames. TFC was widely praised but still unpopular, and FF is pretty hipster. Valve could have made a great game out of the 9-class concept, with all the aspects of the best games mixed together. With the satanic feel of Quake, military tint of TFC and Source engine we could get a fast-paced, interesting game with strafejumping, airshots, grenades and lots of skill required. Sadly, all we got was a shiny, slow paced shooter with chidish, gimmicky cartoony graphics, hat-fapping casuals on pubs (where i haven't went for already 4 months) and self-confident nerds on competetive. That's sad, but a great concept was killed by the community and greedy developers. R.I.P. Team Fortress, sadly we will never once again experience the fast pace, concjumps, strafejumping, and the ultimate feel of a skilled victor after a won game.
-DFX, glorious member of the masterrace, 2012

Last edited by ManOfManyWords: 03-22-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
aw3s0m3m4n

Stuff about opinions.

Regarding grenades: (from dev commentary)
Quote:
One of the main changes between Team Fortress Classic and Team Fortress 2 was the removal of thrown grenades.
Most classes could carry a standard hand grenade along with a secondary grenade, tied more closely to the class. Team Fortress 2's focus on unique class roles led us to notice that the standard hand grenade was a more powerful combat decider than some of the primary weapons. This made the classes more similar in combat-not a desired effect. In addition, when we looked at some of Team Fortress Classic's map stalemates, they often resulted from large amounts of grenade spam. Two cases were particularly problematic: That of players throwing grenades repeatedly through doorways, hoping to kill any enemies who might be there, and players on the verge of death throwing all their grenades in rapid succession, hoping to get a kill after they die. Removing standard hand grenades made the game more fun almost immediately, especially for new players who were often confused as to why they died, when a grenade went off at their feet.

Last edited by aw3s0m3m4n: 03-22-2012 at 10:23 PM.
aw3s0m3m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Ascobal77

A little late aren't you?
Ascobal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
ManOfManyWords

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw3s0m3m4n View Post
Stuff about opinions.

Regarding grenades: (from dev commentary)
Grenades provide a degree of tactical play, unlike straightaway aiming at the targe. Anyway grenades are not even the point of what i am saying.
And what do you have to say about demo nade spam?
ManOfManyWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Better|Off|Dead

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfManyWords View Post
The original QWTF mod had a lot of potential, sadly shadowed by the more technically advanced videogames. TFC was widely praised but still unpopular, and FF is pretty hipster. Valve could have made a great game out of the 9-class concept, with all the aspects of the best games mixed together. With the satanic feel of Quake, military tint of TFC and Source engine we could get a fast-paced, interesting game with strafejumping, airshots, grenades and lots of skill required. Sadly, all we got was a shiny, slow paced shooter with chidish, gimmicky cartoony graphics, hat-fapping casuals on pubs (where i haven't went for already 4 months) and self-confident nerds on competetive. That's sad, but a great concept was killed by the community and greedy developers. R.I.P. Team Fortress, sadly we will never once again experience the fast pace, concjumps, strafejumping, and the ultimate feel of a skilled victor after a won game.
Your quite welcome to your opinion but honestly good luck with a view that accuses Valve of being "greedy" with a F2P game.

And I guess if you don't like TF2 in its insanely popular and playable form that has proved an amazing success (imagined by some of the original developers) then there's probably not much we can do to sway you.

So you're kind of beating a dead horse here for mine.
Better|Off|Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
The Medic

You appear to be very late. If you had mentioned this when TF2 came out of beta or whenever, people might have agreed, but those days of grenade spam and air-strafing are gone.

At least, until you start up TFC.
The Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
Durr-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic View Post
You appear to be very late. If you had mentioned this when TF2 came out of beta or whenever, people might have agreed, but those days of grenade spam and air-strafing are gone.

At least, until you start up TFC.
Agreed, although you can still air-strafe.
Durr-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
2dor

Quote:
and the ultimate feel of a skilled victor after a won game.
Highlander ? Compettive play ? Random spread ? Ramdom Crits ? Leagues ?

You have the perfect CS 1.6 stereotype. " I have skilllllz, let me join a server of noobs and pawn them thill they quit "
2dor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #9
Sicminded

Quote:
"Necro'd troll bait about the previous Matrix or something"
Oh man, I remember reading a post like this 4 frickin' years ago. Thanks OP for making my day.

Felt good.
Sicminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:08 AM   #10
nanom

ManOfManyWords indeed, yet with not much sense
nanom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:51 AM   #11
Cloymax

Banned
Get out.
Cloymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #12
Herr Shaun

All that text, and OP didn't realize the problem is him.
Herr Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #13
gen. DeGroot

Quote:
People sure enjoy getting mad,even thought i didnt attack anyone directly. I find this utterly sad.
TIP: Using the disguise kit will turn you into a whiner. Make careful note of where people are and whine every now and then. Don't whine big-scale. And tomorrow, I make my 1,000th post.
gen. DeGroot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
Shradow

Banned
You spent so much time, effort, and what little brain power you have in your OP (I think...), your comebacks are rather lackluster, however.

Last edited by Shradow: 03-27-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Shradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Koobadoobs

Quote:
-DFX, glorious member of the masterrace, 2012
Yes, rest in peace team fortress, it is CLEARLY dead/dying and no one likes it. Valve should just give up now because this horrible game won't be able to keep a solid fanbase for over 4 years with its silly, original, fascinating backstory, and clearly TERRIBLE combat that sucks because it isn't grenade spam. They certainly won't be able to make any money off it. Who would spend $100 on a cosmetic? No one.
/sarcasm
Koobadoobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2