Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War series

Old 03-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Midn12e

Possible cheats

Hello,

How can i report a potential cheat.

Ive played the same player 3 times and something isnt right in how over the top powerful his units are. And no im not jaratey cos i lost, i genuinly think he has an unfair advantage.

Thank you.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
Jibberish

Are you using cover? Units take significantly reduced damage while in cover. On the order of 60-70%, I think, for green cover.

Is he playing, say, Plague Champion? His heretic worship causes all nearby units to heal themselves at 5 hp/s. (nearby daemons such as bloodletters heal at 12 hp/s each! so you have a squad healing itself at 48 hp/s--faster than most ranged units will be able to damage them!) Combine this with a squad standing in cover, and it can be very difficult to damage them.

Is he playing Farseer? Farseer has a couple of abilities--Guide and Doom--which can significantly turn the tide of a battle. Guide boosts the firepower of one of his units, and Doom increases the damage that one of your units takes. Combine these and you can have a pretty massive swing.

There's also many types of armors and weapon damages in this game that you might not be familiar with--for instance, heavy armor (worn by space marines, tyranid warriors, sentinels, etc) take reduced damage from most standard ranged weapons (including but not limited to: guardsmen lasguns, guardian shuriken rifles, scout marine bolters, CSM/SM bolters, sentinel multilasers... most T1 ranged weapons)--but take a good chunk MORE damage from Power Melee weapons (banshees, stormboyz, catachan devils). This is just one example, there are many weapon types with many strengths and weaknesses to consider. Vehicles, for instance, take almost no damage from regular weapons fire--you need specific AV weapons to bring them down.

Units also gain experience and level up as they kill more enemies and stay alive--and level'd up units get significant boosts to reward their longevity and killing prowess. On the order of 20-30% boosts in health, damage, regeneration, etc. Were you constantly losing whole squads, while his were staying alive? Preserving your units is not just a key economically, but for keeping your units competitive with his, as well.

These are obviously just a couple of the possibilities for what is going on that you may be overlooking.
What I'm saying is, it's more likely you just didn't understand what was happening. The game is quite complex.

You should post a replay of one of your games with him--if you havent played any other games yet, check your replay folder--there is a replay named "temp" that you can simply rename and then upload somewhere, We'll take a look at it.

Last edited by Jibberish: 03-22-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Jibberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Rahab_mx

This is indeed a good topic specially because nobody speaks about it (don’t know if it has something to do with the "small" community size)
So far the cheats i have identified are 3:

Instamanticores, who land their missiles just 2 to 3 seconds after the marker shows up regardless how far the manticore is. (think I have a replay about this one somewhere on my library)

IG lascannon machine gun (could be a glitch) it’s a HWT who upgraded to lasgcannon and somehow gets a heavy bolter who causes suppression and does full damage to vehicles (I even have a replay where this cheats takes down a full health sentinel with 3 bullets)

And the most popular: Steamworks DOS attack; you are losing?, don’t worry!, attack you opponents steamworks ports till they lag and can be kicked out of the ranked match
Rahab_mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Jibberish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahab_mx View Post
This is indeed a good topic specially because nobody speaks about it (don’t know if it has something to do with the "small" community size)or maybe its because you are incorrectly identifying lag, glitches, and your own mistakes as cheats. lets check?
So far the cheats i have identified are 3:

Instamanticores, who land their missiles just 2 to 3 seconds after the marker shows up regardless how far the manticore is. (think I have a replay about this one somewhere on my library)
This is... how its meant to be? and 2-3 seconds isn't "instant". You may be incorrectly preceiving lag as a long delay on manticores firing, when in fact, the correct "in-game" time has passed... Manticores always take the same amount of time to fire. There may be a bit of randomness for the time between actual rockets hitting the ground, but the delay before the first hits is consistent at ALL ranges

IG lascannon machine gun (could be a glitch) it’s a HWT who upgraded to lasgcannon and somehow gets a heavy bolter who causes suppression and does full damage to vehicles (I even have a replay where this cheats takes down a full health sentinel with 3 bullets)
There was a glitch where both weapons could appear on the squad. This doesnt happen anymore since they broke HWT in a completely different way... and regarding the 3 bullets, I find that hard to believe, unless you were right up next to the HWT (who do more damage the closer a unit is to them--up to 200+ dps!) Also, sentinels don't have vehicle armor, they have heavy infantry armor, so they don't take extra damage from lascannons in either case.

And the most popular: Steamworks DOS attack; you are losing?, don’t worry!, attack you opponents steamworks ports till they lag and can be kicked out of the ranked match
lolwut. That isn't a cheat, or a DOS attack, and you don't seem to know what you are talking about...? The game has a lot of 'server maintenence' instances, but thinking that people can selectively cause them to one opponent is.. silly. In either case, people alt-tabbing out of the game and ragequitting is just people being whiny es.
Responses in yellow. Basically, Glitches + You are wrong.

The one "cheat" that I ever knew of that was officially acknowledged (and promptly fixed) was a way to have a librarian rapid-fire smite attacks at 0 energy costs. And this has been removed for quite a while.

Last edited by Jibberish: 03-22-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
Rahab_mx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibberish View Post

..maybe its because you are incorrectly identifying lag, glitches, and your own mistakes as cheats. lets check?...

how its meant to be? and 2-3 seconds isn't "instant". You may be incorrectly preceiving lag as a long delay on manticores firing, when in fact, the correct "in-game" time has passed... Manticores always take the same amount of time to fire. There may be a bit of randomness for the time between actual rockets hitting the ground, but the delay before the first hits is consistent at ALL ranges...

...There was a glitch where both weapons could appear on the squad. This doesnt happen anymore since they broke HWT in a completely different way... and regarding the 3 bullets, I find that hard to believe, unless you were right up next to the HWT (who do more damage the closer a unit is to them--up to 200+ dps!) Also, sentinels don't have vehicle armor, they have heavy infantry armor, so they don't take extra damage from lascannons in either case....

....lolwut. That isn't a cheat, or a DOS attack, and you don't seem to know what you are talking about...? The game has a lot of 'server maintenence' instances, but thinking that people can selectively cause them to one opponent is.. silly. In either case, people alt-tabbing out of the game and ragequitting is just people being whiny ♥♥♥♥♥es.....

Responses in yellow. Basically, Glitches + You are wrong.

The one "cheat" that I ever knew of that was officially acknowledged (and promptly fixed) was a way to have a librarian rapid-fire smite attacks at 0 energy costs. And this has been removed for quite a while.
You just like to proof you only write nonsense , every single IG player knows the manticore missiles hits faster the closer the manticore is to the target, if its a point blank shoot the missiles fall after 2 seconds the marker shows up, if you shoot to the limit of the manticore's range the missiles takes 6 seconds to land. But hey dont take my word, go and try it yourself.

as for the Sentinel, it does receives damage from small arms but is still considered a vehicle and the snare and damage of the lascannon fully applies to it, and guess what, we have a new glitch:

Get your upgraded lascannon HWT with a sarge into a building let them get some damage till there is only one unit left (this unit will be the sarge) reinforce the squad and now you will have a lascannon HWT that uses a heavy bolter that shoots bullets with lascannon properties.

As for the DDOS, there are tons of apps that do this and same number of video tutorials on youtube on how to use them, step by step. yet you say it is impossible cause according to you the hacker would need to attack the steam servers???

lol you have already proved in other threads you don't know anything about programming, modeling, texturing and now you probe you know nothing about networking

DOW2 games are P2P and only uses steamworks to make sure you are online, if the game cant reach the steam servers it shots down the match for you, since the matches are P2P the attackers can get the IP address of the vicitm and alreayd knows the ports to attack cause those are the same for all steam users (look here) so the hacker only needs to attack the clients ports used to connect to steamwork and voila, the victim is kicked out of the match by its own game.

do yourself a favor and stop posting gibberish

Last edited by Rahab_mx: 03-23-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Rahab_mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
Milkycookie

It's not specifically a Steam work dos attack. The problem lies in the P2P network that's used to run the Multiplayer match.

It's the same problem complained about for Relic's Company of Heroes as well, for about 5-6 years? already. It's been called a lot of things, Drop Hacking is the most common form used in the CoH Community.

There is no fix for it. Relic has more or less acknowledged it since there is no way to prevent it. Which is why CoH has a 'Honor' system based on your prior statistics. If you continously 'lag out' and drop from a match before completion each time you 'lag out' you'll get a loss instead of a win, while awarding the win to your opponent.

I'm not sure if this honor system is implemented to WH40k, but it makes a lot of sense to include it. But then again we're talking about game companies who somethings don't have that in abundance.

I'm not going to explain how it works. We have enough idiots as is.
Milkycookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
Jibberish

Regarding Manticore: Huh. I've played a significant amount of Imperial Guard, and I've never noticed the distance-variable delay. Maybe thats because no self respecting Guard player builds Manticores at all .

Regarding the HWT: Thats obviously a glitch, then, not a "cheat", isnt it? As I said, that unit is bugged. Probably the buggiest in the game (save for lictor/GUO flesh hooks).

Regarding the "dos hax"--i've never experienced this supposed hack. You are far more likely just to have a steam disconnect--i dont know how many hackers you think there are in this game, it's already a tiny community. The solution is obviously stop playing with shady russians.

Oh, and I know plenty about programming and modeling--i do it professionally. I think you might be underestimating the work, not me overestimating. Also, lets try to keep the personal attacks under wraps--no matter how right or wrong you are, if you act like a , you're the loser.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War series