Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 03-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
SOLIDAge

'Media Disconnected" message after playing games for ~20 minutes,never any other time

So i have the strangest problem.
Since moving my Windows 7 machine is now showing MEDIA DISCONNECTED after ~20 of playing games.

Now I can leave the PC on all day, i can download torrents for HOURS, and nothing happens...but as soon as I play League of LEgends or now Tera Online, it just dies

Nothing gets it back up and running besides 1)going to device manager and uninstall the NIC card and it auto-reinstalls or 2) restarting the PC. I have re-downloaded the latest drivers for my device, my Win7 is up to date as well.

When i do a CMD then an ipconfig it just says "media disconnected" yet I still have lights on the back of my NIC.

The ONLY thing i can think of is the cat5 cable that I'm using is bad. It is pretty new, but haven't used it before, perhaps it's busted and I'm going to try go exchange it tomorrow.

Have you ever heard or seen this before? it JUST started since moving and really makes no sense that I can download a 5 gig file over several hours with no issue, but the minute I play a game for longer than a few minutes my PC just says "Media Disconnected"

No viruses, I've scanned, I have all security software disabled, still having this issue.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Bad_Motha

Banned
Under IPCONFIG, does it list all the info for...
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Long as this area is fully filled out, you should be fine.

If there are any extras below this, like...
Tunnel Adapter
Media State . . . Media Disconnected

I'm pretty sure that is a normal occurrence. My Win7 machines always say this and I don't have any issues with games other programs that suggests this is any sort of a problem.

If you have HomeGroup features enabled and don't use them, try turning that service off and/or disable it. As well as Media Sharing if you don't use that. See if that helps. You can still do Network Sharing without the need for HomeGroup.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
SOLIDAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
Under IPCONFIG, does it list all the info for...
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Long as this area is fully filled out, you should be fine.

If there are any extras below this, like...
Tunnel Adapter
Media State . . . Media Disconnected

I'm pretty sure that is a normal occurrence. My Win7 machines always say this and I don't have any issues with games other programs that suggests this is any sort of a problem.

If you have HomeGroup features enabled and don't use them, try turning that service off and/or disable it. As well as Media Sharing if you don't use that. See if that helps. You can still do Network Sharing without the need for HomeGroup.
no, when I do an IPCONFIG every value is 0 and it says MEDIA DISCONNECTED
No homegroup sharing is turned on.

here is a picture of the CMD IPCONFIG prompt after a disconnect.
http://i.imgur.com/gj2Wo.jpg
(I just played Tera for about 15 minutes and it then disconnected on me0

Last edited by rotNdude: 03-25-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: learn how to use the edit feature
SOLIDAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
Bad_Motha

Banned
Try CMD prompt

Step 1: IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS

Step 2: IPCONFIG /RELEASE

Step 3: IPCONFIG /RENEW

If still experience issues, either try a different port on your router (unless it's a single port modem) or simply try disconnecting the cable at both ends and re-insert.

U sure u don't have a different/extra cable u can try?

Might want to try powering down your modem and/or router for 5 mins.
Then power back on. If you have both a separate modem and router. Power on the modem first, once it's been on for about 10-15 seconds, then power on the router.

Last edited by Bad_Motha: 03-25-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
SOLIDAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
Try CMD prompt

Step 1: IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS

Step 2: IPCONFIG /RELEASE

Step 3: IPCONFIG /RENEW

If still experience issues, either try a different port on your router (unless it's a single port modem) or simply try disconnecting the cable at both ends and re-insert.

U sure u don't have a different/extra cable u can try?

Might want to try powering down your modem and/or router for 5 mins.
Then power back on. If you have both a separate modem and router. Power on the modem first, once it's been on for about 10-15 seconds, then power on the router.
None of those commands work, bc it says
"Can not perform XXXX action while the media is disconnected" . I have switched Router ports, same thing.
SOLIDAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
Bad_Motha

Banned
This is why I suggested switching your router port. If still won't connect, then I suspect either the onboard ethernet adapter (NIC) itself is defective. Perhaps something is going up on it, possibly the actual port itself. Or you cable is defective/damaged. Does the cable shown any signs of wear/tear. Any area that look like might have gotten crimped at some point?

If you replace the cable and still doesn't work, then I would replace the NIC itself, by turning off the onboard NIC in BIOS and installing a separate one.
You can get them in various types:
> USB (Wired NIC)
> PCI (Wired NIC)
> PCI-E (Wired NIC)

Unless u have a 1000mbps router, all u need is one that supports 10/100mbps

Last edited by Bad_Motha: 03-25-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems