Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Heavy

Old 03-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
pyroforpres

Laser Minigun Idea...

Hey guys. I thought of another idea for a weapon, but this time for the Heavy. Please don't flame this idea so harshly, for this is only just for fun.

EDIT: I based this idea from this video. Credit goes to whoever made it.

The HyperDrive
Level 10 Gatling Laser Gun
Has a tighter firing cone
Penetrates through enemies
Infinite Ammo

Requires a reload animation to get a full clip
Picked up ammo or dispensers does not fill ammo for this gun
25% less clip size

Possible Craft Recipe: (Direct Hit? +) Pomson 5000 + Brass Beast + Reclaimed Metal

Read the Explanations of Stats below!:

Tighter firing cone: This counts as a neutral stat because with a tighter firing cone, the bullets/lasers would hit a smaller area, but would also shoot with more accuracy. A Direct Hit sort of idea. However, with a smaller firing cone, it requires the Heavy to aim more precisely.

Penetrates through enemies: A Righteous Bison sort of idea. Basically, the tighter firing cone makes it easier to cut through enemies. Also, Valve likes the idea of lasers cutting through enemies, so this would be perfect. Ideal for swiping enemies off the payload cart or cut through enemies trying to defend their medic.

Infinite Ammo: What this basically means is that it is not required to pick up ammo packs to refill your clip. The gun still stats out with a clip of 150 shots and goes down when you shoot. You could reload it at anytime to bring it back up to 150 shots.

Requires a reloading animation to get a full clip: The animation would take a little longer than the length of the Sandvich eating animation. Since ammo picked up doesn't go to this weapon, it is required to find a safe spot to stand still and reload your gun. You can either find a safe spot yourself or use TEAMWORK and ask for cover while you reload.

Picked up ammo or dispensers does not refill gun: Goes with the "reloading animation" downside. Although it is a more offensive gun, it still requires the user to constantly find safe areas to not get ambushed.

25% less clip size: That would leave the heavy with a clip of 150 rounds. Sort of thought of this last minute, but with a Heavy that could penetrate enemies, I think he should look for reloading spots more frequently.

BENEFITS
-Good for Payload Defense when enemies are all in one area pushing the cart
-Good for Heavy/Medic pair matchups to where the enemy Medic tries to hide behind the Heavy he's healing (Damage both at once, kill the Medic first, then the Heavy soon after
-Has good Synergy with a shotgun for when the primary gun is out of ammo
-Good for hitting farther targets with less bullet/laser drop off
-Recommended for players that could aim at targets directly with a Minigun

DOWNSIDES
-Bad for dealing with enemies that tend to scatter when in groups
-Bad for dealing with close-up enemies like Pyros or Scouts because of the tighter firing cone
-If equipped with a lunchbox item, you have no way to defend yourself when you absolutely need to reload
-Needs to constantly take short breaks from mayhem to hide and reload primary
-Not a really good "Heavy Rusher" kind of weapon
-Not recommended for players that rely on ammo pick ups to reload their gun.

Last edited by pyroforpres: 04-02-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
robly18

Banned
My reaction to each of these stats:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroforpres View Post
Tighter firing cone: This counts as a neutral stat because with a tighter firing cone, the bullets/lasers would hit a smaller area, but would also shoot with more accuracy. A Direct Hit sort of idea. However, with a smaller firing cone, it requires the Heavy to aim more precisely.
Mmmh... More sniper-annoying hoovies? No.

Quote:
Penetrates through enemies: A Righteous Bison sort of idea. Basically, the tighter firing cone makes it easier to cut through enemies. Also, Valve likes the idea of lasers cutting through enemies, so this would be perfect. Ideal for swiping enemies off the payload cart or cut through enemies trying to defend their medic.
Oh god no

Quote:
Infinite Ammo: What this basically means is that it is not required to pick up ammo packs to refill your clip. The gun still stats out with a clip of 200 shots and goes down when you shoot. You could reload it at anytime to bring it back up to 200 shots.
Oh... Oh god... OH GOD NOOOOOOOOOH NERF NAOW

Quote:
Requires a reloading animation to get a full clip: The animation would take a little longer than the length of the Sandvich eating animation. Since ammo picked up doesn't go to this weapon, it is required to find a safe spot to stand still and reload your gun. You can either find a safe spot yourself or use TEAMWORK and ask for cover while you reload.
Oh phew. I'd just given up hope

Quote:
Picked up ammo or dispensers does not refill gun: Goes with the "reloading animation" downside. Although it is a more offensive gun, it still requires the user to constantly find safe areas to not get ambushed.
Yes...

Quote:
25% less clip size: That would leave the heavy with a clip of 150 rounds. Sort of thought of this last minute, but with a Heavy that could penetrate enemies, I think he should look for reloading spots more frequently.

Yep. Checked.

I like the idea but add the following:

+25% more falloff

This is just to discourage sniper-harrasing hoovies.

Anyways, balanced. I congratulate you for making the first truly balanced heavy weapon suggestion that I've seen. You should get a prize.
robly18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Munkyman720

Quote:
Originally Posted by robly18 View Post
Mmmh... More sniper-annoying hoovies? No.
Quote:
I like the idea but add the following:

+25% more falloff

This is just to discourage sniper-harrasing hoovies.
Well, we have the Cozy Camper now. Just saiyan.
Munkyman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
War Monkey782

I am all for more accuracy as a heavy. Heavy has a "point in general direction to kill everything" playstyle, so something that rewards accuracy would be good.
Penetration would be a useful ability as heavy.

Now, while those two would be useful, there needs to be an actual downside to counteract them being too powerful. Such as: Less damage, slower fire rate (more than tomislav), less ramp up, etc.

Still needs to be hitscan though.
War Monkey782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
pyroforpres

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Monkey782 View Post
I am all for more accuracy as a heavy. Heavy has a "point in general direction to kill everything" playstyle, so something that rewards accuracy would be good.
Penetration would be a useful ability as heavy.

Now, while those two would be useful, there needs to be an actual downside to counteract them being too powerful. Such as: Less damage, slower fire rate (more than tomislav), less ramp up, etc.

I was thinking it should do less damage to buildings, just like the CM3K. I forgot to put it in there the first time though.
pyroforpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #6
Cap'n Funshine

Quote:
To be honest, with all the laser weapons being projectiles I'd like to see the Heavy's minigun continue the trend, but at a faster speed. Faster than the Man Melter, but not hitscan.

If it's going to penetrate enemies, it shouldn't be hitscan.
Cap'n Funshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #7
War Monkey782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Funshine View Post
To be honest, with all the laser weapons being projectiles I'd like to see the Heavy's minigun continue the trend, but at a faster speed. Faster than the Man Melter, but not hitscan.

If it's going to penetrate enemies, it shouldn't be hitscan.
But then it would be useless. It would be just another spammy laser weapon. It being a projectile would effectively ruin what I was hoping it would achieve, a more skillful heavy unlock, something that rewards accuracy.
I thought of another potential downside. Lasers are made of energy, not matter (or at least not as much as a bullet), so they wouldn't carry much force behind them. So maybe it has less knockback.
War Monkey782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
isildur4

less damage to buildings
isildur4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
pyroforpres

Quote:
I thought of another potential downside. Lasers are made of energy, not matter (or at least not as much as a bullet), so they wouldn't carry much force behind them. So maybe it has less knockback.
This be true. On the count that the lasers cut through targets other than pushing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isildur4 View Post
less damage to buildings
Yea that's probably a good idea. I think I said that in one of the replies to this thread, but not change the OP because I'm lazy :P
Old 04-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
pyroforpres

I like it how troll threads get bumped more frequently than my possibly legitimate game ideas because of the SPUfers that constantly rage against them.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
Craylash

how about the cone tightens after x amount of kills, meaning you have to work for it
Craylash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
pyroforpres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craylash View Post
how about the cone tightens after x amount of kills, meaning you have to work for it
Unless it's a magic gun, I don't see a reason as to why it would. Besides, a tighter cone could be a good or a bad thing. You could fire farther, but you'll have to hit the target right on or else youll miss them. Not good for strafing scouts/pyros that are right up in your face.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Heavy