Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 03-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Unlikable Loner

SP DLC

The single player campaign is over.

Not a big deal, every game comes to an end at some point.

But there are times when that is not enough and it feels like there's more stuff to do and more things to see.

Portal 2 seems to be one of those cases, but luckily Valve has added a co-op mode to increase the game's longevity.

Now, co-op is nice and fun, but there is something in solving a puzzle by yourself (maybe a fairly long and difficult one) that can’t be replaced by co-op.

The incoming Puzzle maker will help greatly with this issue for a while, but wouldn’t you like an official single player DLC?
Maybe with new mechanics, new characters, new story elements and so on.

I know, I know… That would mean putting resources and time into its development and with all the projects currently going on at Valve, this may be the last of their preoccupations.

Perhaps in the future… Who knows?

Since I'm feeling unusually creative today, here’s my idea.

Chell won’t come back, the writers had said that multiple times by now.
So who will be the next Test Subject?

ATLAS and P-body make a great team together, so separating them may not be a good idea.

With all the human subjects being… compromised during the little trouble with the bird, the only solution for GLaDOS could be creating this Test Subject by herself, like the co-op bots.

This new bot would be the result of all the things GLaDOS has learned during her many years of testing and from the experience had with Chell. For example she may try to emulate her tenacity.

The main problem with robots is that they can’t die (the co-op campaign explains it), but GLaDOS could try to simulate it by simply not rebuilding the unfortunate bot and then creating a new one from scratch.

And let’s not forget about Mr. Chubby Beak and his siblings!

Crows are among the most intelligent birds on Earth and I wouldn’t be surprised if GLaDOS will try to use their intellect in the creation of the “Perfect Testing Machine”.

Maybe she will even put a bit of her own programming in it, making it like a sort of a son.

That could be the start of an interesting relationship between them.

Yes, it’s a somewhat funny idea (especially the bird thing) but I find it quite fitting for the Portal theme, imo.

What do you think?

In short:
  1. Do you think Portal 2 needs a SP DLC and why?
  2. If yes, how would you like it to be?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Sgt Cortez

If they do add some SP DLC, I don't see why they couldn't allow you to play as a co-op bot. It could be lighthearted, like a zany adventure. They could even release 1 story for each bot.
Sgt Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
NabsterHax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Cortez View Post
If they do add some SP DLC, I don't see why they couldn't allow you to play as a co-op bot. It could be lighthearted, like a zany adventure. They could even release 1 story for each bot.
I like this idea.
NabsterHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
ShellM591

I've always dreamed of a Portal metroidvania.

Exploring aperture labs, "Oh no there's a blue emancipation grill in front of that portal surface here."

Explore a little more and acquire an upgrade - now you can shoot through blue emancipation grills. Go backtrack to that one you saw earlier.

And so on.
ShellM591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
InsaneGuyOfDoom

Didn't the Final Hours of Portal 2 mention they at one point planned for their to be single player content in Peer Review, which would have just been you controlling one of the co-op bots? I believe they said it would be about Rick returning and convincing whichever bot you chose to go with him "on an adventure" in space. So if there's single player dlc it would probably be something like that.
InsaneGuyOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Motanium

sp doesnt need dlc. mappers take care of it. It would be fun to see them continuing the story
Motanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
PopularVote

The rumor is (emphasis on rumor) that one of the most requested DLCs is a new single player campaign.
PopularVote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
berty_basit

I've always thought this would be a good place to put SP DLC :

http://steamcommunity.com/id/berty_b...filter=app_620

maybe play as a bum and get paid in beard dirt.
berty_basit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #9
Xpectro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlikable Loner View Post
The incoming Puzzle maker will help greatly with this issue for a while, but wouldn’t you like an official single player DLC?
Absolutely, co-op is fun but there is some kind of magic in a singleplayer campaign that nobody can reproduce in a multiplayer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berty_basit View Post
I've always thought this would be a good place to put SP DLC :

http://steamcommunity.com/id/berty_b...filter=app_620
This one million of times, I LOVED "The Fall" and I think it was the best chapter from the game.
Xpectro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:08 AM   #10
Tasty Uberwich

Yeah, who says if they made a single player you'd have to play after the events of Chell or the co-op bot's adventure? Like many others on this forum I've said this a hundred times before whenever a single player DLC thread pops up:

Why not make it take place during the 50s when Aperture was in its prime? Or the 70s when they were down on their knees testing the homeless? Or the early 80s when they started using their own employees to test, near the end of the sub level test chamber's era?

Having a little sub story to explain more of Aperture's past during any one of those periods would be incredibly fun and not to mention instead of GLaDOS we'd have Cave's messages to guide us through the tests.
Tasty Uberwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:41 AM   #11
Agent-1138

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopularVote View Post
The rumor is (emphasis on rumor) that one of the most requested DLCs is a new single player campaign.
The rumor is (emphasis on rumor) that one of the most requested games is a new half life.
Agent-1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:32 AM   #12
Solarmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Cortez View Post
I wonder if you could use each bot to tell one part of a single story. You see things from two POVs.

As others have mentioned "The Fall" was a great chapter and not only because of Cave. To me there is more Aperture history to explore expecially the time period after Cave dies and GLaDOS is "woke up". sm
Solarmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
Virzy

I hope they introduce a new puzzle mechanic into the DLC.
Virzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
frogboy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-1138 View Post
The rumor is (emphasis on rumor) that one of the most requested games is a new half life.
The rumor is (emphasis on rumor) that DLC has nothing at all to do with a new Half-Life game.
frogboy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
LPChip

They could create a single player experience with both bots where you can switch between the bots by a keypress, cotrolling one bot at the time, and you need to get both bots to the exit. Sure, you will not be able to to rely having one bot fly through the air while the other one places the portals (unless the levels are so designed that the bot will remain in the air so you have enough time to switch, shoot the portals and the bot automatically flies and lands to the designated area).
LPChip is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2