Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > L.A. Noire

Old 01-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Mr.Ceefus

Rockstar Doesn't Do Happy Endings (Spoilers)

I've just completed L.A. Noire which I think is a fine game despite its flaws. Once again I was unable to redeem my character in the end and am left with no feelings of vindication for my characters struggles. What is it with Rockstar and tragic heroes? Niko Bellic, John Marston, and Cole Phelps.

I don't get why Phelps did some of the things he did, it wasn't my choice and it seems so out of his character to have done such things. All I know is that what he did do wasn't even bad compared to what his peers were doing through out the story. He was a just man, fighting the good fight and I couldn't wait to bring down the hammer on the corrupt hierarchy of 1940's L.A.

After being the golden boy the whole game only to be disgraced and demoted on account of an unexplained mistress, who was brought to light by his own "partner", who wouldn't want that shot at redemption? As if having all of your major cases be covered up by your own department to protect the powers that be wasn't enough motivation.

In the end though, the people he fought so hard to bring down spoke some real kind words at his funeral. What the hell? I love Rockstar's games, but their endings infuriate me. You might say he got redemption by helping his marine buddies that he let down during the war, but that's no good to me. And screw you Kelso. You know what you did.

Anyways, Rockstar's games are depressing and always leave me wanting more somehow. At least start giving us multiple endings that are decision based, but not bad vs. bad like GTA4.

Last edited by Mr.Ceefus: 01-13-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Dema013

I agree 100% with you.
Dema013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
IIIIGooseIIII

Most Noir films don't have classic happy endings. The protagonist is supposed to be flawed, as is the society he lives in. The fact that society is generally worse is what makes him the "good guy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ceefus View Post
Once again I was unable to redeem my character in the end and am left with no feelings of vindication for my characters struggles.
Quote:
In the end though, the people he fought so hard to bring down spoke some real kind words at his funeral. What the hell?
I can only think of two (though I may be incorrect) cases where you could determine the outcome, the rest of the time the case generally solved itself. Your choices determine how well the case was solved, but little more. LA Noire told a specific story, and we were along for the ride.

Also, I think his "enemies" speaking kindly at his funeral really solidified the theme. He started out trying to fix the world as a way to redeem himself after what happened in the war, but in the end the task was too great. They lived on, sure, but the happiness from the ending (as you said) stemmed from the fact that despite his failures, he was able to save the dame, and help his war buddies he felt he'd let down.

Quote:
I don't get why Phelps did some of the things he did, it wasn't my choice and it seems so out of his character to have done such things. All I know is that what he did do wasn't even bad compared to what his peers were doing through out the story.
The homicide cases were covered up because the killer was well connected, and to save the department's reputation, both of which speak to corruption. Have you also considered the possibility that he fell so hard from grace specifically because he was the golden boy (which makes the department look integrous), and the people he was going after were well connected to politicians, and police officers?

Just my thoughts, but I'm no film scholar.

Last edited by IIIIGooseIIII: 01-16-2012 at 06:30 PM.
IIIIGooseIIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
Razorbak86

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIIGooseIIII View Post
Most Noir films don't have classic happy endings. The protagonist is supposed to be flawed, as is the society he lives in. The fact that society is generally worse is what makes him the "good guy."
I agree completely with your assessment.

FWIW, whenever people finish the game, I recommend that they watch "L.A. Confidential" (1997), with Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, James Cromwel, and Kim Basinger. It's an awesome movie in its own right, but even if you've seen it before, you will be surprised at how many similarities there are between this game and that movie. I suspect the game was an homage to the film.
Razorbak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Andreson

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbak86 View Post
I agree completely with your assessment.

FWIW, whenever people finish the game, I recommend that they watch "L.A. Confidential" (1997), with Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, James Cromwel, and Kim Basinger. It's an awesome movie in its own right, but even if you've seen it before, you will be surprised at how many similarities there are between this game and that movie. I suspect the game was an homage to the film.
Interesting point.

I love detectives, the ending might not be the best, but I definitely... SPOILER ALERT

didn't expect him to die. It kind of reflects how imperfect we all are, that in life, there's usually no good or bad guys...
Andreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
smokeydubbs

About the ending, I clearly saw the new DA give Roy cash right after the eulogy. That was the theme to the entire 2nd half of the game. All in all though, very depressing ending, if not fairly expected. I had fun with the game and was addicted for every hour I put into it.

I agree with Rockstar having tragic hero's. But they haven't had a good ending in any of their games since GTA3. There was always a big betrayal or something like that.
smokeydubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
Andreson

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeydubbs View Post
About the ending, I clearly saw the new DA give Roy cash right after the eulogy. That was the theme to the entire 2nd half of the game. All in all though, very depressing ending, if not fairly expected. I had fun with the game and was addicted for every hour I put into it.

I agree with Rockstar having tragic hero's. But they haven't had a good ending in any of their games since GTA3. There was always a big betrayal or something like that.
I was disappointed by the GTA III ending by the way.
Andreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
Sweetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIIGooseIIII View Post
Most Noir films don't have classic happy endings.
Yeah I went into the game fully expecting Cole to die at the end. Tragic character arc kind of goes hand-in-hand with the genre.

That said, it would have been a totally awesome mind-f*** if they bucked convention and had a secret ending where Cole lives, opens up a successful private detective agency with Kelso, marries his German singer lady, and lives happily ever
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > L.A. Noire