brataccas

Banned
Red face

what was the update that I got today?

cool to see all the unlocks free the new car skins etc
brataccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
somini

If I buy it in your site can't I have a Steam copy too?
somini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #18
Chef Excellence

Why do Valve even care? They sell GTA games, Saints Row 3 and all manor of games with more "offensive" elements than Smuggle Truck.

I don't think Smuggle Truck even had a Hot Coffee style mode that revolved around nudity and Alex.
Chef Excellence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #19
mattjd

If we've already bought Snuggle Truck on Steam, do we need to repurchase Smuggle Truck to get that skin or is there an option to be able to download the Smuggle version with proof of Steam purchase?
mattjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #20
OwlchemyLabs

Owlchemy Labs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
If we've already bought Snuggle Truck on Steam, do we need to repurchase Smuggle Truck to get that skin or is there an option to be able to download the Smuggle version with proof of Steam purchase?
This would be on a case by case basis, since it's a very manual process for us to deal with these requests. Please email support (info -at- owlchemylabs (dot) com) for these types of requests.
OwlchemyLabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #21
DevTesla

Whenever I see something like this, that immediately appears to be offensive and racist but actually comes from a satirical place that makes sense, I think of Chappelle's Show. While it's obvious that the show wasn't there to tear people down or support casual racism, it's clear that it was embraced by the vary people Dave was trying to target, the "not-racist" racist s. Realizing this was part of why he shut down the show so suddenly: his ironic minstrel show was slowly being turned into an actual one.

That's the problem I have with smuggle truck. It plays with stereotypes in order to deconstruct them, but it runs the risk of only being taken at face value and doing real harm. I fully support Steam and Apple's requirement that it be changed to snuggle truck in order to be sold at their respective stores, and I hope that the devs reconsider their plans for offering the controversial version. I don't think it could actually do any good without being more "preachy".
DevTesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #22
Kitsune Sniper

You know, I'm Mexican, and when I first heard about Smuggle Truck, I laughed my off.

I GET the satire. It's a stupid idea but the game looked fun.

I just got the game from the Humble Android Bundle 2 and am sad to see that the Steam version doesn't include Smuggle Mode. Oh well. The game is still fun.
Kitsune Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #23
TJF588

I'm no programmer, but I'm wondering if, since Smuggle Mode is mostly just a difference in graphics and sound, is there a way to provide a file pack that can be copy_pasted into the steamapps folder(s) that'll result in the ability to switch modes? That way, it's not an official part of Steam's build, but those who're interested enough can patch it in anyway.
TJF588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #24
bonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF588 View Post
I'm no programmer, but I'm wondering if, since Smuggle Mode is mostly just a difference in graphics and sound, is there a way to provide a file pack that can be copy_pasted into the steamapps folder(s) that'll result in the ability to switch modes? That way, it's not an official part of Steam's build, but those who're interested enough can patch it in anyway.
I wholeheartedly second this suggestion.

Even better would be a patch that makes the game look for the additional, manually placed Smuggle Mode files.
If it finds them in the correct location in the Steamapps folder, it automatically switches the mode.
(If Valve allows it, you could even add a toggle button on the launcher, maybe even with info on where to find and install them.)

You could then distribute the files via Bittorrent from your website and wouldn't need to worry about any censorship from Valve, nor have any major traffic/bandwidth/hosting issues.

A do-it-yourself approach for modern day PC gamers who is used to modding and fiddling with their games.
bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #25
Luckz

My friend bought me this game (back when it wasn't in a bundle for basically free), I started it, found no smuggle mode, and quit it never to touch it again

(and yeah with how unity works etc I suppose combining them on the user end is rather difficult. achievements don't work in smuggle copied over snuggle, for example.)

Last edited by Luckz: 03-28-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Luckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #26
soulrver

I too am disappointed that there is no smuggle mode in the Steam version, I was really looking forward to it. Still a fun game though!
soulrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:09 AM   #27
Luckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrver View Post
I too am disappointed that there is no smuggle mode in the Steam version, I was really looking forward to it. Still a fun game though!
If you don't mind the lack of achievements etc and don't mind a little emailing either [see post 20] (and are able to rename game folders/files from Smuggle to Snuggle), you're perfectly capable of playing Smuggle Truck in Steam. Sadly your friends will of course still see you as playing Snuggle Truck, unless you launch it as a non-Steam game.

Top support by the developers by the way, both here and via email. ^_^
Luckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #28
Craig234

I'm concerned about the whole anti-illegal immigrant issue with the game.

It's all too easy for some people to support hate and discrimination. Think about the minstrel shows mentioned in the only other post to say that.

The developer says it's a 'satire', but what' a satire about a bunch of illegal immigrants in a truck falling out?

It seems to make a joke of the whole issue about real desparate people to the point it dehumanizes.

Maybe I'm wrong and the game makes it clear it's opposing that sort of thing, but I doubt it.

This version doesn't have that, but buying it would still support the same people who thought spreading that was a good idea, and still do.

I like to support indie developers and this is said to be an otherwise good game, but I'm very turned off now to giving them any money.
Craig234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #29
TJF588

Yeah, reading it from you, it does seem more readily an exaggeration of that form of immigration itself rather than my country's "illegalization" of it. But then, it's because of that illegality that this form of immigration would have/"have" to exist, so it may wrap around to being a satire of the state of affairs people have been put in as a result of such laws.

That is, this is an exaggeration of the terrible ends people bring themselves to on account of (truly?) exaggerated laws.
TJF588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #30
number3son

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF588 View Post
This post is old now, but does anyone know if there's been any progress on including a "smuggle" mod as described here?
number3son is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Snuggle Truck