Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Pirates!

Old 01-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Drakkel

Fix found for "Failed to Find Steam" Error!

I've been getting the "Failed to Find Steam" error, and the dll replacement fix did not work for me. The only way I could get the game to run was to close Steam and open the exe file manually.

Well, I've found a method of getting Sid Meier's Pirates! to run from Steam as it should. The problem seems to be that the game is expecting Steam to be in C:\Program Files\Steam, but if you've installed it somewhere else or are running 64-bit Windows it, for some reason, can't find the new location. At least my install couldn't.

I eventually discovered a fix for other games that works here:
  1. Bring up the Start Menu
  2. Right click on Computer, select Properties
  3. Go to Advanced System Settings, select Environment Variables
  4. Underneath the box labeled "User Variables for [Windows Username}" click the New button
  5. In the Variable Value field, enter the path to the Pirates! exe file, click OK

This worked like a charm where every other method failed. It's a shame the Steam version of this game seems to have so many problems, because it's a great game. I hope this fix helps, happy sailing!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
DuneTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakkel View Post
I've been getting the "Failed to Find Steam" error, and the dll replacement fix did not work for me. The only way I could get the game to run was to close Steam and open the exe file manually.

Well, I've found a method of getting Sid Meier's Pirates! to run from Steam as it should. The problem seems to be that the game is expecting Steam to be in C:\Program Files\Steam, but if you've installed it somewhere else or are running 64-bit Windows it, for some reason, can't find the new location. At least my install couldn't.

I eventually discovered a fix for other games that works here:
  4. Underneath the box labeled "User Variables for [Windows Username}" click the New button
  5. In the Variable Value field, enter the path to the Pirates! exe file, click OK

This worked like a charm where every other method failed. It's a shame the Steam version of this game seems to have so many problems, because it's a great game. I hope this fix helps, happy sailing!
Uh, what is the environment variable you're defining? You have a value, but no actual variable.
DuneTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Sjaman

This is the correct solution

You must do these steps like Drakkel wrote:

But then you go to the "System variables" section
4. find the Variable named "Path"
5. Mark it, and click Edit
At the end of the existing string:
6. add ";" followed by the path to Steam.exe
for example ;c:/programfiles(x86)/steam/ (if win7/64 bit.)

Enjoy!
Sjaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
cpholmes9

Thanks guys!!! This worked like a champ. I have windows 7 64 bit. Just follow these steps then exit steam and bring it back up and it will run. Now to go play it!!!
cpholmes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
bcasner50

An easier way...

My way around the problem is to simply turn steam completely off, then select Pirates. It starts steam up again and then pirates too. Works perfectly each time.
bcasner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
gijas04

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpholmes9 View Post
Thanks guys!!! This worked like a champ. I have windows 7 64 bit. Just follow these steps then exit steam and bring it back up and it will run. Now to go play it!!!
Which steps? So you need to close Steam first?
gijas04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Pirates!