Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Guild II series

Old 03-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
twitchypickle

Game won't start Win 7 64bit

I just purchased The Guild II Renaissance Expansion via Steam. (Just FYI - I also have a hard copy of The Guild II Venice, which appears to have the same problem on my computer).

When I try to run it via Steam or via double clicking the Guild .EXE file, I see a brief flash of the game title box, a quick black screen, and then it's just gone. The game never actually starts.

I'm running a Windows 7 64 bit OS on a very new machine with all current/updated video and audio drivers.

Here's what I've tried to make this work:

-Turned off showsplash in the config.ini file
-Installed DIVX hoping it would somehow make the intro vids start
-Changed the Compatibility settings on the GuildII.exe file to Disable visual themes and Disable Desktop composition.
-Set the EXE file to Run as Administrator
-Installed the 4.17b beta patch
-Tried running the .EXE file in Windows XP compatibility mode.

And - I've had exactly zero luck getting the game to run.

Any help would be most appreciated!

TP

Last edited by twitchypickle: 04-03-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: SOLVED
Old 03-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
twitchypickle

I should also post that the logfile.log has the following error info:

[subsystem] Gamebryo : Init
[subsystem] Gamebryo : Create renderer HWND:262394, FullScreen:0
[subsystem] Gamebryo : Renderer creation failed. Reason : Creation failed: Invalid 3D device type
twitchypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
twitchypickle

I just installed Virtual PC 2007, using Win XP (32 bit) as the OS. After installing a fresh copy of the game via a fresh download of Steam, the game STILL WILL NOT RUN (note: I tried all the same things I listed above to make it work in the new VM XP environment).

So - I'm just about convinced there's an issue with the Steam version of this game.

Anyone have any thoughts?

thanks,
tp
Old 04-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
frikenaddict

on my win 7 pc you have to alt tab through the opening cinematics to get to the menu. or you can disable the videos in the config.
frikenaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
twitchypickle

I don't a chance to alt-tab. The cinematics box flash for an instance and then is gone. This happens with splashscreen set to 1 or 0 in the config.ini file.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
twitchypickle

SOLVED

OK - after several days and alot of luck, I've managed to find the right information to resolve this issue.

Apparently the problem for me we the result of incorrect configuration of DirectX for 32bit.

To correct the problem, I made one change to the Registry by following these steps:

Use REGEDIT and change the "SoftwareOnly" key from "1" to "0" in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Direct3D\Drivers

and then reboot the system and the game worked with no issues (except I did still have to alt-tab out of the splash movies, but that was no problem once I reset the config file to turn off those movies).

Thanks again for all those that helped with this -
TP
Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
goladith

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchypickle View Post
OK - after several days and alot of luck, I've managed to find the right information to resolve this issue.

Apparently the problem for me we the result of incorrect configuration of DirectX for 32bit.

To correct the problem, I made one change to the Registry by following these steps:

Use REGEDIT and change the "SoftwareOnly" key from "1" to "0" in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Direct3D\Drivers

and then reboot the system and the game worked with no issues (except I did still have to alt-tab out of the splash movies, but that was no problem once I reset the config file to turn off those movies).

Thanks again for all those that helped with this -
TP
I'm having the same issues with the game (have disc version), but I don't have that key in my registry to change. Was that all you had to change to get it to work?

[EDIT] NM, I checked the callstack.log and apparently ATI Tray Tools was interfering, lol.

Last edited by goladith: 08-08-2012 at 08:47 PM.
goladith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
zonik77

Quote:
Originally Posted by goladith View Post
I'm having the same issues with the game (have disc version), but I don't have that key in my registry to change. Was that all you had to change to get it to work?

[EDIT] NM, I checked the callstack.log and apparently ATI Tray Tools was interfering, lol.
Hi,

Same problem here. And I don't have that key in my registry to change too. I don't understand what ATI is interfering (I have an ATI card in my laptop). I would agree if you, or someone, can explain me what can I do to solve this. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, as soon as I have limited computer knowledge

Thank you!
zonik77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #9
patr8044

try reinstaling the game and launch again
patr8044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
shadexe

This might work

So, I tried launching the game and was having similar issues to you, where the game would black screen and such post videos. To fix it, I went into the userconfig file and changed fullscreen to 0.000000 instead of 1.00000 (make sure you do it in the userconfig, not the config file). Now it works, and is in window mode.
shadexe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Guild II series