Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
dOnUt!?
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 278
Posts: 1,135
Are there any clever/funny item names/descriptions that aren't references?

I'm just wondering, since the only item names I see are references to a game, video, movie or TV show, most of which I don't understand at all.

The funniest example of a non-reference item name I have is my own Direct Hit.
http://tf2b.com/item/76561197998255650/244667901

Please post your funny names/descriptions

EDIT: I found another favourite.

"Plan B"
Level 1 Pistol
"If you're reading this, it worked."

Last edited by dOnUt!?: 04-05-2012 at 02:08 AM.
dOnUt!? is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
FiveEyes
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Reputation: 256
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by dOnUt!? View Post
The funniest example of a non-reference item name I have is my own Direct Hit.
http://tf2b.com/item/76561197998255650/244667901

That made me laugh, +rep for you.
FiveEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
A 1970 Corvette
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 3828
Posts: 10,027
Just ask KingOfTeam, he's plenty good at funny names/descriptions.
A 1970 Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Simon >:C
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 1748
Posts: 3,790
My Rocket Launcher is named "Simon Says: Die." Does that count as a reference?
Simon >:C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Awesomegame17
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Reputation: 49
Posts: 873
Would it make you feel better if I told you I called my Sydney Sleeper "Mundy's Marvelous Musket"?
Awesomegame17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
dOnUt!?
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 278
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon >:C View Post
My Rocket Launcher is named "Simon Says: Die." Does that count as a reference?
I suppose it doesn't, good one.
dOnUt!? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Perfect Cell
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Reputation: 468
Posts: 2,334
My Shortstop was named "BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM", but meh.
Perfect Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Shradow
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 1198
Posts: 6,535
Well, this is my Strange Backburner. I've gotten some compliments on it, so I'd say it's not too bad.
Shradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
dOnUt!?
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 278
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shradow View Post
Well, this is my Strange Backburner. I've gotten some compliments on it, so I'd say it's not too bad.
Honestly, I'm not sure what that's supposed to be?
dOnUt!? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
Rynjin
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 2663
Posts: 13,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shradow View Post
Well, this is my Strange Backburner. I've gotten some compliments on it, so I'd say it's not too bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dOnUt!? View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure what that's supposed to be?
FIRE BLAST MOTHERER
Rynjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
Shradow
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 1198
Posts: 6,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
FIRE BLAST MOTHERER
Actually, that's incorrect. While my Backburner is named for the Japanese kanji for fire, Fire Blast does not use the same one.

It uses "大" (dai), meaning "big". The Japanese name for the move being Daimonji. Note the differences between it and "火", "fire".

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upl...Fire_Blast.png
Shradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
Rynjin
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 2663
Posts: 13,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shradow View Post
Actually, that's incorrect. While my Backburner is named for the Japanese kanji for fire, Fire Blast does not use the same one.

It uses "大" (dai), meaning "big". The Japanese name for the move being Daimonji. Note the differences between it and "火", fire

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upl...Fire_Blast.png


Fire Blast is cooler *grumble grumble*

I could have SWORN the one from Pokemon Stadium looked like that though.
Rynjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
Huff
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 3416
Posts: 5,762
My non-reference ones are either in-jokes, puns, or just a joke. I need more pun items.
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
Shradow
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 1198
Posts: 6,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
My non-reference ones are either in-jokes, puns, or just a joke. I need more pun items.
Become the pungeon master!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
I could have SWORN the one from Pokemon Stadium looked like that though.
This is from Stadium 2.
Shradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
Rynjin
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 2663
Posts: 13,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
My non-reference ones are either in-jokes, puns, or just a joke. I need more pun items.
Read Xanth.
Rynjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.