Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Server Feedback

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Meety*`

Can't find servers

This might be an issue on my end. But I can't find any servers when I hit the play now button, I even went to the server list and 0-60 servers only came up. Anyone know what I should do?

I recently switched from AT&T to Comcast

My current anti-virus is Microsoft security essentials

P.S. This was working normally after I switched to Comcast, which was about a week and a half ago

Last edited by Meety*`: 04-02-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Tilown

I think I am having the same sort of problem. I can't find any servers in the server browser or play now option.

Plus in offline servers the item servers will always be down.
Tilown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Meety*`

I hope this is an issue on Valve's end because I'm am a little upset at the moment. I can play my other steam games online normally.
Meety*` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
M33CROB

I too am having this issue. Some people have persistent issues with this, I tend to experience outages that clear themselves up after a few days/week.
M33CROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Meety*`

Still having this problem. Any fixes?
Meety*` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:18 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
JacobU

Valve
Please try to keep your issue in one thread. The server list not working is generally a client side issue. If you are on a router, you should try to bypass it. If you have a firewall or antivirus, you should disable it or uninstall it temporarily to see if that is causing the issue.
JacobU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
GoldenCoffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobU View Post
Please try to keep your issue in one thread. The server list not working is generally a client side issue. If you are on a router, you should try to bypass it. If you have a firewall or antivirus, you should disable it or uninstall it temporarily to see if that is causing the issue.
...You know that everything began after update on 28th March? It probably changed everything, yes?
GoldenCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Melkath

I wants me some TF2

I am having this issue as well.

In the past, I have been able to check out my History and Favorites, and it has done the trick. This time, however, all of that data has disappeared as well. I can see the server lists just fine through the steam interface, but when I launch TF2 it gives me to "could not connect after 4 tries" message. I have also tried adding an IP address directly into my serverlist to no avail. This does not appear to be an issue on my end, it seems to be an issue within TF2 itself. Now before you say it, I have restarted Steam, then I restarted my computer. I can still get to server lists through steam, but cannot get the TF2 game itself connected to a server.

Can anyone offer any help other than "this is typically a client side issue (universally known as 'not my problem'), now uninstall all your firewalls and antivirus".

UPDATE
So after more toil (discovering and attempting to "Verify integrity of Game Cache..." and "Defragment Cache Files"), I stumbled upon the option in Steam to "Delete Local Content...".

Deleted my Local Content, and set about the lengthy re-download of TF2. The download just completed, signed in, and abra kedabra, hocus pocus, my game is connecting to servers again, and since all achievements and items are saved on the cloud, I lost nothing.

The issue was not with my firewalls or antivirus programs, the issue was with something in my "Local Content", something simply fixed using a feature within Steam.

I do not mean to be disrespectful, but it seems Mr. JacobU would have been more helpful initially pointing out simple features such as "Verify integrity of Game Cache" "Defragment Cache Files" and "Delete Local Content/Re-download" before he labeled the issue as a "client side issue" and told us to deactivate all security software on our computers and to dismantle our networks.

Last edited by Melkath: 04-06-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Update - got it to work
Melkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
M33CROB

Quote:
^^^this^^^

clearly it is our routers and other stuff even though it is affecting many people and strangely all at the same time.

nice attempt at trying to make your self look helpful without actually being helpful.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:45 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
JacobU

Valve
Quote:
Originally Posted by M33CROB View Post
^^^this^^^

clearly it is our routers and other stuff even though it is affecting many people and strangely all at the same time.

nice attempt at trying to make your self look helpful without actually being helpful.
I am not experiencing this issue and in the past it has been client related. Have you tried verifying your game cache in order to ensure you have the latest files?
JacobU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:46 AM   #11
Dravu

Quote:
Originally Posted by M33CROB View Post
^^^this^^^

It actually generally IS your router. When you open or use the server browser (which the Play Now feature does), your game connects to hundreds, sometimes thousands of servers in a very short period of time which can overwhelm your router. My old one wasn't able to handle it and opening the server browser would mean having to restart my router in order to have everything working again. My new one, however, runs like a champ and has been able to handle everything without ever an issue.

The bottom line is that it's most likely your router, but the problem with your router is caused partially by the large amount of connections the game makes (which is why it's not just you that is having troubles). If the TF2 team would implement a better/customizeable connection limitter, I think it would make the problem affect less players.
Dravu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #12
alex902602

I can confirm I've had this issue however it fixed itself yesterday.
alex902602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
M33CROB

I'm not even having this issue anymore. As stated in my first post, this type of thing always resolves itself. It cropped up once the item servers were having issues but now that those seem stable (at least to me) my server browser is working again. Those 2 services are probably separate yet somehow related.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
PlatypusBeast

...still broken for me
PlatypusBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
Melkath

In tech support, you "generally" want to start with the simple solutions first

Quote:
I am not experiencing this issue and in the past it has been client related. Have you tried verifying your game cache in order to ensure you have the latest files?
This is what you should have said initially (though you still left a few more important useful bits of info out).

It is often the case in tech support, that someone will describe an issue to you, and your system will not replicate that issue. That is when you test software to try to replicate the issue, or question those looking for support to try to diagnose their issue.

It is "generally" unwise, and "generally" lowers your customer satisfaction ratings when you come out of the gate saying "its probably a problem on your end." To use a healthcare metaphor, as a doctor, if a patient comes in with a fever you "generally" want to check them for a cold or a flu before you tell them "fevers generally present with incurable diseases".

A simple rundown of:
-"Verify integrity of Game Cache..."
-"Defragment Cache Files"
-"Delete Local Content.../Re-download"
would probably address the issues of most people who land on this thread. After you have provided that level of support (and dare I say a bit more), that's when you'd tell a non-IT-professional (customer) to start trying to reconfigure their networks and play around with firewall/antivirus settings. Coming out of the gate with that will "generally" just result in more people screwing up their networks and security settings, and your support doing nothing more than making their problems worse when 3 clicks and a 3 hour wait would have fixed their problem.

Your job is to teach layman people about the various Steam functionalities that may prove beneficial to them, not to give "general" answers that will get them off the forum.

Sorry, I just expect better out of Valve and had to get that off my chest. Back to TF2!
Melkath is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Server Feedback