Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The

Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Myzteria

How To View Your "The Witcher 2" Serial Code! (for redemption at GoG)

1. Hit Windows + R

2. Type 'regedit' press enter http://i.imgur.com/x8yFv.png

3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Wow6432Node (ONLY IF x64) --> CD Projekt RED --> The Witcher 2

4. Check the "Serial" registry entry, it should show your The Witcher 2 CD-Key! http://i.imgur.com/BNgXn.png

5. Redeem @ www.gog.com/witcherbackup

EDIT #1: Some users have reported their keys being stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER instead of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, try that if you can't find your key.

EDIT #2: As noted by users on page 3; if you do not have a key, go to http://www.thewitcher.com/backup

Last edited by Myzteria: 04-20-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
SimbaTao

Doesn't work for everyone

I don't know why people are so sure this is the remedy.

I have windows 7 64 bit and there is no "serial" entry at this location:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Wow6432Node --> CD Projekt RED --> The Witcher 2" in my registry.

(Another post said to go to above as well right in software, there is nothing for "cd project RED" there either.
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> CD Projekt RED --> The Witcher 2"

I mean it doesn't solve my problem, thanks anyway though, and if anyone has a solution that actually works, I'd love to try it.

I have tried right clicking on my steam (nope) I have tried executing the register.exe in my steamapp/common/witcher 2/folder (nope) and also the above.

None of them show me my cd key. So as it may work for you, it doesn't for some of us.

Last edited by SimbaTao: 04-05-2012 at 05:56 PM.
SimbaTao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Myzteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimbaTao View Post
I have windows 7 64 bit and there is no "serial" entry at this location:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Wow6432Node --> CD Projekt RED --> The Witcher 2" in my registry.

(Another post said to go to above as well right in software, there is nothing for "cd project RED" there either.
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> CD Projekt RED --> The Witcher 2"

None of them show me my cd key. So as it may work for you, it doesn't for some of us.
The "Wow6432Node" directory is only available for folks who have a 64-bit operating system (If I'm not mistaken).

So you are in the right location you just don't have a serial key.

When did you purchase the game on Steam?

Just an assumption as they might have stopped including CD Keys after they removed the DRM for the game (excluding normal Steam DRM for Steam owners).
Myzteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
SimbaTao

I can find the cd project RED entry at the wow6432node location but there isn't anything for serial there, just "InstallFolder", "language" and "release".

I have poked all over my registry, done searches for "cd project RED" as well as "witcher" and "witcher 2" and as far as I can tell nothing on my cd key. I am fairly comfortable with regedit as well, having used it for various fixes and things since 95.

I think I bought the game here on steam about 4 months ago or so ... I dunno.. It's kind of annoying that it's such a stretch to find the key. Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
Nutlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimbaTao View Post
I can find the cd project RED entry at the wow6432node location but there isn't anything for serial there, just "InstallFolder", "language" and "release".

I have poked all over my registry, done searches for "cd project RED" as well as "witcher" and "witcher 2" and as far as I can tell nothing on my cd key. I am fairly comfortable with regedit as well, having used it for various fixes and things since 95.

I think I bought the game here on steam about 4 months ago or so ... I dunno.. It's kind of annoying that it's such a stretch to find the key. Thanks again for your help!
I'm in the same boat. I bought the game on release but I don't have a cd key either apparently. I've reformatted once since then though. Not sure what to make of it.
Nutlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Bethuny

I think we'll need to wait until the official announcement on how this is going to work - the assumption that you need the CD Key as opposed to some other proof of purchase may be false, given that so many of us don't have one, and it's not that easy to find even if you do.
Bethuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
xratec

question

Do we have to redeem from GOG? Or will Steam upgrade our Witcher 2 version here?
xratec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
Bethuny

The update will be available here, at Steam. That's definite.

What isn't clear yet is whether or not we'll get the partial pre-load option on 11th April, or if we'll have to wait until the official release on 17th. (I've got a query in to Witcher support on this. If they reply, I'll update).
Bethuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:25 AM   #9
skalana

I have Russian Steam release of the Witcher 2 (which is identical to the international version and shares the same AppID) and I have the serial in this branch (Win7 32):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CD Projekt Red\The Witcher 2

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7152/witq.png
skalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #10
Myzteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalana View Post
I have Russian Steam release of the Witcher 2 (which is identical to the international version and shares the same AppID) and I have the serial in this branch (Win7 32):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CD Projekt Red\The Witcher 2

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7152/witq.png
Alright, thanks for the feedback.

I'd like to also add that I have the US version, and have the Serial registry entry.
Myzteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:57 AM   #11
pizzahut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutlink View Post
I bought the game on release but I don't have a cd key either apparently. I've reformatted once since then though.
Reformatting deletes the Windows registry. If you restored The Witcher 2 from a backup, it's quite possible that the backup did not include the Windows registry with the product key. In this case it may help if you reinstall the game, but that's just speculation on my part.
pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #12
Skelter92

I've reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 7 and I downloaded the games including Witcher 2. I did not use a backup. I don't see a serial entry just the default, install folder, language and release.
Skelter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
SimbaTao

I haven't reformatted my drive nor reinstalled my windows since I bought the game.

I also do not have a branch for cd projekt RED in my HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CD Projekt Red\The Witcher 2.. just in the wownode.

I am in Canada, and when I buy games they are usually considered "US". Don't know that any of that helps, but it does show that some of this is different between us all.

I got to add that I am not as worried about the upgrade in this as I am being able to get the backup game from GoG.

Although I'd like to get the EE version too, I don't really like the way the steam version runs, as it is not DRM free. (I can't play it without steam, and since the game is so resource hungry, steam is just slowing it down)

And it's goofy when it runs, trying to do a first time install every time I run it. Since that has been the same since purchase and steam doesn't seem to give a ptooi that it's messed up.. getting a better and cleaner version appeals to me in a big way.

Last edited by SimbaTao: 04-06-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #14
skalana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelter92 View Post
I've reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 7 and I downloaded the games including Witcher 2. I did not use a backup. I don't see a serial entry just the default, install folder, language and release.
What if you try to start the game and then see if the serial appears?
skalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
soundcreepy

found my code just fine with this process. Thank you.

Win 7 64 bit
soundcreepy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The