Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm

Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
NovusWolf

Angry Failed to create D3D Device!

I've been trying to get the game working all day, and I haven't been able to due to this error - an error not mentioned on any of the stickied FAQ's.

I have updated my Video Drivers and tried the -dxlevel 81 and -dxlevel 80 solutions, but the screen continues to blink three times and then crash. I'm at my wits end trying to fix this issue.

Here's a DxDiag I ran of my machine. Anyone see the problem?

EDIT - Windows is also apparently up to date. I still don't understand why I see this error.

Last edited by NovusWolf: 04-05-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Kein

Quote:
ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series
Hmm, that's weird, your GPU definitely matches all the requirements. is there any other program on the background that can use/lock GPU in exclusive mode? Try to shutdown all the programs and services just to check it.
Kein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
NovusWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kein View Post
Hmm, that's weird, your GPU definitely matches all the requirements. is there any other program on the background that can use/lock GPU in exclusive mode? Try to shutdown all the programs and services just to check it.
This one's a couple of days old, but I think I found a fix. For some reason the game seems to break on it's default resolution when you have a 1366x768 resolution monitor. I looked around and found the fix was the commands "-w 1366" and "-h 768". This appears to be an old bug that was never fixed for some mysterious reason.
NovusWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
goodone

have u tried to update dx at all? dx can get scre*ed by installing games with their own bundled [old] dx version, and symptoms r similar to urs - everything works but not just...

update usually fixes that.
goodone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
iamcreasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovusWolf View Post
This one's a couple of days old, but I think I found a fix. For some reason the game seems to break on it's default resolution when you have a 1366x768 resolution monitor. I looked around and found the fix was the commands "-w 1366" and "-h 768". This appears to be an old bug that was never fixed for some mysterious reason.
Thank you. This fixes my problem. Wonder why steam support doesn't add this to their support page.
iamcreasy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm