Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Need for Speed series

Old 02-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Fowst

NFS Shift crashing on startup

Hey

I recently downloaded NFS Shift for Steam and it crashes everytime I start it. It shows the loading screen, after that I see a black screen with my mouse on it. I can move the mouse, yay...
My PC is crapy but not crapy enough to cause this problem.
My Monitor is from the stone age, about 10 years old but did every game from elder scrolls series to l4d2, ruse.... never had issues with it.

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4770 <- this may be the problem

I did the following up to now:

- got directx9.0c from an external website
- updated Microsoft .net framework to 4.0
- updated AMD Catalyst crap
- validated integrity of cache files in steam
- went nuts

gonna start it in windowed mode now, brb tomorrow.

greetz
Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Piotr_L

Hi Fowst,
any progress on that issue? I have the same problem.
It was working since a couple weeks ago. I can't really say when - i'm playing iRacing most of the time.

My computer:

- AMD Phenom II X4 3.2, 8GB RAM
- Win 7 64 bit
- ATI 6870 1GB
- Eyefinity - 3x 22" Acer - 5980x1080

so system it's non an issue - i think. I assume it's a new update but i'm not really sure if it's ATI driver or perhaps NFS game update

If You got it working please let me know.

Cheers
Piotr
Piotr_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Rallymen007

It's likely related to PhysX, try reinstalling them with the setup contained in the game's folder.
Rallymen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
neema_t

I've got a problem with it too. I'm sure I had it working a while ago (I've apparently played it for 3 hours) but now it won't launch, it crashes to the desktop with an error message instantly.

I'm using a GTX 580, too, so it's not AMD-specific. I tried reinstalling PhysX but it told me I'm trying to install an older version and didn't let me. I'll have a poke around, but adding it to the DEP safe list and running as an admin didn't work like it did for countless other games I've had trouble with.
neema_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
Rallymen007

If it crashes on the screen talking about wearing helmets and racing on tracks, then it's probably related to PhysX. However, PhysX are horrible to install or reinstall, you might want to try to uninstall it from the Control Panel, then reinstall it from the game's setup. It might break all the PhysX games, but you could reinstall their version of PhysX later. If they are using a more recent version, it might cause the problem.

Alternatively, maybe that downloading PhysX from NVIDIA's website may install all the versions, thus fixing the problem with SHIFT.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Piotr_L

Didn't worked . I did everything. Uninstalled the PhisX and installed new. Several times, several ver. Uninstalled the game an installed without PhisX so it could install it's own. Nothing worked . I tried on my iMac (Bootcamp) it's an old one, 27” but the one first ones. It worked without a problem. I have a Win Vista 32bit on my iMac. On my PlayPC I do have Win7 64bit. If i'll get PhisX icon (not every time after an install) it allays says 32bit. What kind of system do you Use? 'Cause I think thats the real problem
Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
Rallymen007

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, and I'm pretty sure that the icon showing 32-bit isn't a problem, SHIFT is a 32-bit game anyway.

I see that you're using Eyefinity, did you tried to disable it and then launch SHIFT ?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
Piotr_L

It was working fine with 3 screens. But it was the first thing i tried. Even yesterday after installing (and uninstalling) phisx. Eyefinity or not it's still not working .

Last edited by Piotr_L: 03-20-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
maha

Arrow Possible fix for crashing NFS: Shift

Another customer with a crashing NFS: Shift here (well, I got it fixed).

I used to play Shift on a monitor that could do higher resolutions than my current gaming TV can. The TV only goes up to 1920x1080. The game would try to use the old display's higher resolution and crash, since the TV doesn't support it. Shift's configuration file contained the old resolution and when editing it to saner numbers, it started up.

On Windows 7, the configuration file is located in your My Documents folder. The path is:
  • C:\Users\<your_user_name>\Documents\NFS SHIFT\graphicsconfig.xml

In this file, search for a line beginning with <prop name="Mode"

On this line you find the resolution the game tries to start with. For example the line might have this configuration:
  • <prop name="Mode" adapter="0" width="1920" height="1200" antialias="4" refresh="60" />

You probably know what to change the red numbers to. The current Windows' resolution is a good bet. I don't know how your Eyefinity thing works, but it'll probably need the width and height resolutions of all your monitors added together. Or maybe a different adapter attribute for every display.

Maybe just switch it to the line below, delete all extra <prop name="Mode" lines and take it from there using the in-game menu (in case the crash was actually caused by this resolution thingy):
  • <prop name="Mode" adapter="0" width="1920" height="1080" antialias="4" refresh="60" />
maha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
SuperNovafx

Thank you for the post, maha!
SuperNovafx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #11
Piotr_L

Maha U R a Genius!!!
Eyefinity puts all screens togehter as a one gigant screen ink. screen frames. So i just put my 5960x1080 and it works !!!
Thanks man.
Cheers
Piotr
Old 03-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
maha

Great to hear this fixed your problem as well.

Now if only the AI drivers didn't bump into everything they see, I'd be really happy! It's still a nice game though.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
fightingfalcon

I am having the same issue with both shift 2 and 2 unleashed. I was already to play and follow one of my car guy's friends suspension setting tips, went to open, said the normal 'prepairing to launch the game' and then it just closed on me, didnt even get to the game screen...any one know why?

system specs are as follows:
intel i3 2100
msi board
nvidia 550ti
two 500 GB hdd's
noctua nh-d14
and a 730w psu...so i know its not my pc. its the game.
fightingfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
Ryley

Thumbs up Thank You

THANK YOU! I've been looking for a solution to that problem for months after I had switched to a monitor with a lower Res. I wonder why re-installing never fixed the problem. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Ryley: 04-07-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Ryley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
maha

Re-installing doesn't delete the old profile and savegames, which contain the source of this problem. Glad to see you got it sorted out as well :-)

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Need for Speed series