Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Supertim

Thumbs up Companion Cube - Android Live Wallpaper

Hi!

I just wanted to let the members here know that I have released a Companion Cube live wallpaper for Android phones - it is relatively accurate (not just a textured cube ) and looks great!

The app does cost FREE (thank you to Sgt Cortez) but is totally worth to keep the companion cube with you at all times.

The application can be found on the android market: https://market.android.com/details?i....companioncube
Or search for it by typing: Companion Cube 3D (HD) LWP - please make sure it is by "SUPERTIM"

It is not interactive, but it spins around on your home screen. Please note that due to the mesh complexity it typically takes a second to load up. Nearly all phones can handle this live wallpaper (tested with Optimus T, HTC Desire Z (G2), HTC MyTouch 4G, and Galaxy Nexus Prime) but phones with Ice Cream Sandwich have serious difficulties dealing with any live wallpaper and will stutter when you change home screens; Please be aware of this. You are welcome to purchase it and test it, but if it lags too much please request a refund right away to ensure that you don't get charged to begin with

I'm open to all feedback! Suggestions, questions and concerns are more than welcome.

I really wanted my companion cube but the one that was available was (no offense to developer) really crappy, literally cube, with texture. This one is quality, made with extra love.

Thanks and enjoy!

Screenshots:

https://lh4.ggpht.com/uiXEhtiehmuiQJ...VuP80ztSIF_rDN
https://lh4.ggpht.com/Z2dKQ_IpLIlkP3...suE46F9Dl_tHIb
https://lh5.ggpht.com/r07K4NxKDhgppX...Hjh2STlkiGw_UI
https://lh4.ggpht.com/5iznzDkrsuYUUl...OQpuMb8lVHfhSC

Last edited by Supertim: 04-10-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
blindmind

Needs space background.. like Companion Cube in space.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Supertim

Haha blindmind I hope you're serious. Because I'll do it
Old 02-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
blindmind

Yeah, I'm serious, I don't own Android device tho, but judging by the screenshots, the companion cube looks too plain without background.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Supertim

Space it is, then Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
MOTpoetryION

good suggestion blindmind. And great job OP
edit And OP one where it looks like its sitting on the moon might appeal to people also

Last edited by MOTpoetryION: 02-23-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Ganjatobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTpoetryION View Post
good suggestion blindmind. And great job OP
edit And OP one where it looks like its sitting on the moon might appeal to people also
2nd that, and maybe some onmi/directional lighting on the model, it needs some shadows and depth.

Last edited by Ganjatobi: 02-23-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #8
Grue12

I think it's illegal to sell intellectual (artistic work) property of Valve without an agreement. Like it would be illegal to sell real-world paper Super Mario stickers without a deal with Nintendo. Or selling Mickey Mouse toys without royalties to Disney.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Supertim

Grue12 - I am flattered. Let me tell you why: it is because what I am selling is not the work of Valve, but my imitation. Think of it as homage to valve. See, had I ripped out their companion cube from the game and began selling it - that would be very dirty and illegal. I understand that, which is why I sat down and modeled my own version which looks quite similar to valves. I put my own effort into it and thereby it is my own, original work.

In addition, I do not directly compete with Valve. You are right about Super Mario and Mickey Mouse, but you also don't realize that companion cube directly is not a trademark (unlike Mario and Mickey). It is part of the game, yes, but it isn't trademarked. Same as it is not illegal to make heart shaped pillows if you decided to - you don't have to pay to whomever invented pillows, right? Or the last person whom you saw make pillows?

In either case, my hat goes off to valve, and respect to you for standing up for trademark/copyright, though not entirely relevant it is a responsible move on your part.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
drewdinie

i dont have 99c : ( i want it!!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
celozzip

well, you're an idiot if you think you'll get away with this, but whatever... the people who pay for it or even dumber.

the amount of crap (clearly in breach of copyright or just plain rubbish) being sold on the app stores these days is shocking.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
Sgt Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by celozzip View Post
well, you're an idiot if you think you'll get away with this, but whatever... the people who pay for it or even dumber.

the amount of crap (clearly in breach of copyright or just plain rubbish) being sold on the app stores these days is shocking.
While I don't agree that he should be charging for an "imitation" as he put it (this could be considered a scam if you want to get technical, since you're not getting the authenticity out of it) I do agree that he's not doing anything illegal. If Valve really cared about it, they'd most likely delete this topic and possibly have him suspended or banned.

Supertim, don't take this as an offense, as I mean none and am pretty impartial to what you choose to do on this forum.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #13
celozzip

tim i didn't read any of that you just wrote, you're still an idiot. if you can't see why from the start then no amount of posting will convince you.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
celozzip

hang on a minute you say i'm an idiot but because of this other guy pretty much agreeing with me, you'll also considering making it free?? i give up - do whatever lets YOU sleep at night. as for myself, i'd feel bad making money off this but whatever, i guess i must be old fashioned or something.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
celozzip

for 's sake man, YOU need to let it go! i've won - you're not selling it anymore!

whether you attribute it to someone other than me is beside the point and frankly pretty ing weak.

but i don't mind, the outcome is a good one so i'm happy with it. now you need to do the same for those other wallpapers where you're making money off other peoples brands. good day, sir.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2