Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oddworld series

Old 04-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
miseryguts

C'mon JAW let's have a Stranger's patch status update at least..

I can't be the only one that's almost spontaneously combusting waiting for this patch (current issues render the game unplayable for me) I'm refreshing this page at least 10 times a day desperate for any news, can you at least tell us if it's actually coming this month or not..?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
MrCarni

I know your feeling. Bought the Oddbox at the release, bugs and crashes ever since. I just don't get it. There is now a huge list of all kinds of updates and awesomeness they are going to implement. Why in the name of all that is Odd did they think about that AFTER they released the crappy ports? They say they love the series. Well Mr Gilray. Look me in the eye and tell me without laughing that those first releases were a polished product of love and effort. (yes I am being dramatic. But you get the point.)

Yeah you got munch kinda from the hands of others. There was not much you could do about that. Well besides the fact that you could have checked whether you could actually get through the tutorial level, we can't blame you guys for that one. (if there is anyone out there where munch worked perfectly from the launch. I will take that back.)

But stranger was your project. And you just should've taken much more time with it. These games have quite a nostalgic value for a lot of people here. *Dreams away to memories of playing abe's oddysee with his dad and promising himself to complete every game in the series*

*cough*. But come on. You knew the game wasn't finished. At least keep us updated some more on what you are doing each day, five days per week for a couple of months....work you somehow overlooked at the release.

Sorry for the long post. I am honestly glad someone is working on these awesome games. But come on, hurry up with the awesomeness.
MrCarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
miseryguts

To be quite honest, this is nothing more than a self indulgent venting of frustration on my part..
Fair play to Mr Gilray, he already responded to a similar thread I posted here.. the wait would be a lot less painful (at least for me) if there was a roadmap though.
miseryguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
MrCarni

lol yeah I read your other post. And it's pure frustration here also. The people at jaw are probably doing the best they can. But I have been waiting to play this game for a lot longer then the steam release. (even bought it once already, convinced it would play on my xbox 360. it didn't.) I genuinely...guinini..really think our frustration is justified though. As you said, they could give us a roadmap or something (it's 2:30 in the morning here. forgive my spelling. also, English is not my native language)
Old 04-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
Darkhoodness

You guys remind me of the people who keep making new threads on the Black Mesa boards asking about when the mod will be released even though the FAQ clearly states that it's coming "When it's done" and that the mod isn't dead. I know fans hate to hear the dreaded "When it's done" phrase, but these things take time.

Unlike that mod though, you know the Stranger patch is coming soon and that work on it is more or less complete - It's not as if they aren't working on it. Be patient and give JAW time to work out their bugs, so that they can hopefully give you a trouble-free gaming experience.
Darkhoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
MrCarni

Yes you are absolutely right Darkhoodness. But this game has quite a history for me. And it's not really comparable to 'we are making something and it's done when it's done' because that would have been fine if they had that attitude in the first place. I wish they just had waited with releasing things untill the HD update (which is a term they use very loosely beceause it's more of a complete overhaul.) Because there wouldn't have been any complaints in the first place.

But yeah, I get that these kind of threads are not the most interesting ones for a lot of people. But sometimes you just want to make a sound. If people hadn't said anything on the release there wouldn't have been bugfixes at all. That means JAW listens to their customers. If we ask for a status update. Maybe we will be heard. And that's awesome.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
Liderangel

Me too, I bought the Oddbox in the release, but I still waiting to play both "new" games in HD.

I never have any issue, but we have been waiting more than a year to this patch.

After the first game in HD (Stranger's) we will have to wait another year for Munch HD?
Liderangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
Soggyburrito

Well to be fair, the problems seem to exist mostly with ATI and Intel graphics. And apparently it's due to their bad drivers. Unfortunately I recently purchased an ATI card assuming it would run this game fine considering my old GeForce 9600 had no problem.

Waiting for this HD update feels like waiting for Christmas... but times 1000.
Soggyburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Jargas

Ya the wait is getting a bit long but at least its for an HD version and not just a fix for the regular game cause then yes that would suck. Game is almost playable for me too it starts up syncs up with my Box controller and runs smooth as silk for about 10 15 min and just crashes. Almost rather have it not work at all instead of teasing me like that haha
O and here my specs incase there happen to be a easy fix i haven't discovered yet

AMD Phenom II X6 2.80 GHz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 460
4gigs ram
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Jargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
Leon Belmont

I played it (for first time) for about 11 minutes and I haven't any issues with the game.... my rig is:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.50GHz
Nvidia Geforce GTSS 450 OC 1GB
4GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit!
Leon Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
miseryguts

A lot of the issues seem to be with ATI cards/drivers (now there's a surprise!) I updated to the most recent drivers recently & tested the game yet again, but I still experience multiple graphical anomalies & whilst the game is technically 'playable' for me, you'd have to be some kind of masochist to want to experience it in this state.
Until JAW hit us ATI users experiencing these issues with this HD patch there isn't really anything we can do.. at least as far as I'm aware?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Soggyburrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jargas View Post
AMD Phenom II X6 2.80 GHz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 460
4gigs ram
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
That's very interesting. You have the latest video drivers right?
Soggyburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
miseryguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggyburrito View Post
That's very interesting. You have the latest video drivers right?
Yep 12.3
Old 04-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
Jargas

Well me Compatibility mode worked this time. Made from start to second town with no crashes. Runs smooth and no graphical anomalies. Only issue i noticed was in control using 360 remote. When in 3rd person when i get up to speed wheres hes running it will suddenly slow up and i lose my momentum. Seems to happen at random. Not an awful issue but kinda annoying when i slow to a walk right in front of the guy i was gonna ram
Jargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:35 AM   #15
Liamaj

Just Add Water
Hi guys, we're working as fast as we can; we want to make sure that all the improvements from the PS3 patch, which is very very near completion, make it into the PC HD update.

I know you've waited a long time, and far be it from me to ask you to wait even longer, but it is definitely coming, and you guys/gals won't have to wait much longer.

<---- Jaw Game Designer
Liamaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oddworld series