Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sins of a Solar Empire series > Trinity

Old 04-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
nbonini

Question Rebellion opinions.

I enjoyed Sins enough to re-buy it when it was available on Steam so I didn't have to deal with Gamestop's Impulse site any more. It's a nice way to spend a Sunday.

I think the gameplay would have been more effective if the research trees were larger. I loved a game like Warzone 2100 with a huge tech tree so you couldn't easily have everything for every game.

The graphics are nice, but I have a new rig that chews through Crytek games, so an upgrade there would be cool. I have always wanted to play a Babylon 5 strategy game that looked like this or Homeworld, so the modding community and the great ability to mod the game will give it long legs into the future.

What are your thoughts? I am thinking about getting the game to play the beta... maybe I'll wait for launch, but there aren't a lot of decent new strategy games right now that aren't fantasy.

nbonini
Old 04-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Ryatboss

Rebellion has some nice upgrades. Plus mods (like Distant Stars) do help keep it alive.
Ryatboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Warlok

Arrow

Thus far I am quite impressed by Rebellion, particularly with the unlocking/addition of the Advent (TEC and Advent) in the newest Beta.

Overall, Rebellion is the same game, yet with many minor tweaks & refinements which when added together make Rebellion quite superior (and pleasant) to Trinity. Not revolutionary, but refined.

Specifically I must say that the factional distinctions seem quite remarkable.

The only gripe I have at the moment might be that the pace of research when set to Slow is not slow enough... in a brief afternoon of gaming, I seem to have researched over 2/3s of all tech trees; from a longer term gaming perspective, that seems far too swift.
Warlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Ryatboss

You can modify that by modifying the Game.Constants file found under GameInfo file.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
crispy animal

I love it, always have loved Sins, but im thinking that maybe the corvettes are overpowered, make a fleet of them and they can take down a Titan or Starbase.
crispy animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Hummuluis

I like how they have split the races up, to make sub factions, Loyalist and Rebels. Should add a bit of a difference in the mix. Titans are fun to play with.

I am however on the borderline of disappointed. To me, the game feels the exact same when playing Trinity, except I now have a Titan and a few other perks and changes. I'll wait to see how the final product comes out, however so far I haven't seen much overhaul to justify a $40 price tag that I've already paid. To me, it feels more like I paid $40 for a mod. There are mods out there that seem to offer more content, unofficially. So we'll see.
Hummuluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
JK_DC

You could have purchased it for $30 before it was beta 2. I thought there should have been a bigger discount. I bought the original then Diplomacy on Steam then the upgrade. Way too much money.
JK_DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
Whippersnapper

If I already owned Trinity and only played offline in single player against the AI, I wouldn't have any reason to purchase Rebellion. I'd just play some of the numerous mods instead.

However, I only play online multiplayer PvP team games. So, for me, the justification for spending the $30 was to be able to play with everyone who purchases Rebellion and comes online. Hopefully that will be a large number.
Whippersnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
Ryatboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippersnapper View Post
If I already owned Trinity and only played offline in single player against the AI, I wouldn't have any reason to purchase Rebellion. I'd just play some of the numerous mods instead.

However, I only play online multiplayer PvP team games. So, for me, the justification for spending the $30 was to be able to play with everyone who purchases Rebellion and comes online. Hopefully that will be a large number.
Dirty I am going to have to disagree with this. My personal examination of the game mechanics reveals a lot of core changes that improve game play period. It even improves modding abilities (like no more damn hidden file system ). I can guarantee a lot of mods will be going and supporting Rebellion.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Whippersnapper

Ryatboss, that's good to know and in interesting perspective.
Whippersnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Hummuluis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_DC View Post
You could have purchased it for $30 before it was beta 2. I thought there should have been a bigger discount. I bought the original then Diplomacy on Steam then the upgrade. Way too much money.
Yeah I did pay the discounted rate of $30. However to me, going from Trinity to the Rebellion(beta), it feels like a small expansion. They should have sold this as DLC for the original, because I don't see justification for a new game price tag.

Really enjoyed Trinity, which led me to preorder. Was thinking they would have revamped ship models, planets, maybe make the game world seem more immerse, newer engine, things such as this. Like I mention, if they are selling this with a new game price tag, best have content to justify the cost. So far, it's not impressive. However it could still change, as it is only in beta.
Hummuluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
laszlozoltan

Sins IS a great game in my opinion; rebellion is sins but with a few extras- the graphics are a bit nicer, more detailed; I don t like the titans or starbases; it's like adding a super-queen chess-piece to chess.

If you love sins then you'll probabaly want this, the question being how long can you hold out for a sale price that won't leave you with a cheated aftertaste
laszlozoltan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sins of a Solar Empire series > Trinity