Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Day of Defeat: Source > Custom Maps

Old 04-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Agent_S

After a long hiatus

Well after 6 years I finally found myself back in DOD! work had forced me out of mapping, my tag used to be [oap] Agent Smith.

So it was with great pleasure this Easter weekend when I was at a loss and decided to fire up DoD again, low and behold the old community is still alive and kicking, after filtering for some of the CAMP maps I stumbled upon a server running one of my old maps dod_ardennes_rc1 and my goodness did it bring back memories

Long story short I fired up hammer, managed to find an old vmf and picked up where I left off all those years ago, mainly for something to do but also it's rather embarrasing to have a map in RC1 for 6 years and never actually finished

All the things I wanted to do back then are now possible (things like advancing spawns) and hardware has advanced at a base level to support such an open map so I've spent the best part of today sprucing the old girl up.

Hoever the mapping boards seem a bit quiet, is there even an appetite for custom maps these days? is it worth finishing the old girl off?

I've attached some screenies for those of you that have not seen the map.

DOD_Ardennes_1
DOD_Ardennes_6
DOD_Ardennes_7
DOD_Ardennes_10
DOD_Ardennes_12

DOD_Ardennes_13
DOD_Ardennes_14
DOD_Ardennes_20

The general layout is good, it could be a bit narrower in areas but thats easily fixed, on my GTX295 the FPS is 200+ all over so theres plenty of room for the much needed detailing but it's all perfectly doable.

Hats of to Valve and Hammer though, the tool is so easy to use I was back in full flow in no time.

Cheers
Agent S
Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Enemy1

it would be an pleasure to ad your map to the rotation again sir !

Welcome back !!
Enemy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Agent_S

Thanks,

I'll keep playing with it and post more info as it gets closer but the gist of it will be phase 1 where the allies spawn in the forest and have to fight to the edge of town when the axis have a spawn close by,

Then if the allies can cap the church (two man cap) it moves into phase 2 their spawn is moved to the church and the axis spawn is moved back to the HQ and the battle can move into the streets.

I've also changed the 88's cap point to a 2 man cap for the allies and once this is done the 88's are destroyed permanently, I've also reduced their damage and the damage of the allied bombing run.

So basically it should lent it's self to a long objective team based game.
Agent_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Enemy1

Sounds good :-)
Enemy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Day of Defeat: Source > Custom Maps