Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Doom series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
xveganrox
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 24
Pricing is Hilarious

I bought the original PC release of Doom 3 and the its expansion when they came out in 2004 (and 2005?) and I can't help but find it hilarious that they are selling the "complete" edition eight years later for $34.99. Or you could buy RoE on Amazon for under ten dollars.

Nonsense like this is why people pirate games. If there was a quick, reasonably priced way to get this game (which is what Steam SHOULD be) I would buy it right away - but for an eight year old game, I'm not spending above $20.

In totally unrelated news I guess it's time for me to scrounge around in the attic among ancient PC games if I want to play this again...
xveganrox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
arisaka
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Reputation: 398
Posts: 1,435
id is the one who sets the prices.
arisaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
xveganrox
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by arisaka View Post
id is the one who sets the prices.
That's correct. id Software developed the games, owns the rights to them, and sets the prices. The absurd prices.
xveganrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Ghostbreed
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 1751
Posts: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by xveganrox View Post
In totally unrelated news I guess it's time for me to scrounge around in the attic among ancient PC games if I want to play this again...
Then please do so and stop bothering us.
Ghostbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
richard.eid
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 2169
Posts: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by xveganrox View Post
I bought the original PC release of Doom 3 and the its expansion when they came out in 2004 (and 2005?) and I can't help but find it hilarious that they are selling the "complete" edition eight years later for $34.99. Or you could buy RoE on Amazon for under ten dollars.

Nonsense like this is why people pirate games. If there was a quick, reasonably priced way to get this game (which is what Steam SHOULD be) I would buy it right away - but for an eight year old game, I'm not spending above $20.

In totally unrelated news I guess it's time for me to scrounge around in the attic among ancient PC games if I want to play this again...
Uh...the movie theater is showing Titanic 3D. It's a 15 year old movie but they're still gonna charge me full admission price to see it. Might as well sneak in? IT IS MY RIGHT TO PAY OR NOT PAY. <--Only it's not.

Your logic is severely flawed. If you don't want to pay the price for something you don't steal, you just move along without committing any sort of criminal acts. Like Ghostbreed said, go dig it out of your attic and stop blogging about how wrong id is for doing this. You also have no idea what you're talking about because the complete pack that is $35 includes Doom I, Doom II, all the expansions plus a bunch of extra level compilations, and Doom III including RoE. So it's not just two items that are included, it's more like an extra 50+ hours of gaming on top of those two items.

You wouldn't know this, of course, because you made something up out of thin air without reading anything besides a number.
richard.eid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
xveganrox
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbreed View Post
Then please do so and stop bothering us.
If my thread bothers you I'd appreciate you staying out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.eid View Post
Uh...the movie theater is showing Titanic 3D. It's a 15 year old movie but they're still gonna charge me full admission price to see it. Might as well sneak in? IT IS MY RIGHT TO PAY OR NOT PAY. <--Only it's not.

Your logic is severely flawed. If you don't want to pay the price for something you don't steal, you just move along without committing any sort of criminal acts. Like Ghostbreed said, go dig it out of your attic and stop blogging about how wrong id is for doing this. You also have no idea what you're talking about because the complete pack that is $35 includes Doom I, Doom II, all the expansions plus a bunch of extra level compilations, and Doom III including RoE. So it's not just two items that are included, it's more like an extra 50+ hours of gaming on top of those two items.

You wouldn't know this, of course, because you made something up out of thin air without reading anything besides a number.
While I appreciate your humble, friendly, and rational tone I respectfully disagree.

I made Wikipedia and Amazon out of thin air, of course:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil is a first-person shooter video game developed by Nerve Software and id Software. It was released for the PC on April 3, 2005, as an expansion pack for Doom 3 and on October 5, 2005, for the Xbox video game console. The Xbox version does not require the original Doom 3 in order to play, and also includes the original Doom, Doom II: Hell on Earth, and Master Levels for Doom II.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
9 used from $9.20
All that content you mentioned is available for $9.20. I've already purchased this content. I'm saying that I enjoyed it enough that I would purchase it AGAIN, for convenient access alone - but I'm barred from doing so by id's inane pricing. They're charging more for 7-17 year old content than many mainstream titles cost, and in my opinion it's ridiculous.
xveganrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
MoonUNit
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 2091
Posts: 3,597
Funny, I got the id Super Pack for $34.99 a while back.

Don't like the price? Either don't buy it or wait for a sale.

EDIT: I must be looking at the wrong thing. Doom Pack (Doom 1 and 2):
http://www.amazon.com/Doom-Collector...3571161&sr=1-1

Doom 3:
http://www.amazon.com/Doom-3-Pc/dp/B...d_sim_sbs_vg_6

Doom 3 RoE:
http://www.amazon.com/Doom-3-Resurre...ef=pd_sim_vg_3

All those combined is more than 35 bucks.

Last edited by MoonUNit: 04-04-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: just cuz.
MoonUNit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
richard.eid
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 2169
Posts: 5,137
Sigh. You're comparing two different products and services.

Doom III RoE on 360 from a marketplace seller on Amazon isn't the same product as the Doom complete pack for PC here on Steam. You wouldn't know this, of course, because you made something up out of thin air without reading anything besides a number.

And what you're buying for $9.20 is a used optical disc whose quality you can't determine before purchase. I mean, you don't even really know if you'll be scammed or not. That seller offering the $9.20 price could just take your money and never send the product. That can't happen on Steam. The price of this used disc is also set by a random person out there and not the publisher or developer of the game. You also can't be sure that the disc will last forever. You can also damage the disc. Where does that leave you then?

With Steam, you get a better product with more content. The price of this product is set by the publisher of the product, in this case id Software. You can always be certain the files will be available for download. If you get a new computer with a new operating system, you can still play Doom whereas with the 360 version you're tied to the 360 hardware forever if you wish to enjoy that game in the future.

So, you see, you're complaining about the price of one product and its feature set because a used, completely different product with a different feature set is cheaper at a different place that isn't even a store. It's just one person selling a used DVD. But it's cheaper. So you complain.

MoonUNit: http://www.amazon.com/Doom-3-Resurre...3570945&sr=1-2
richard.eid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
xveganrox
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.eid View Post
Sigh. You're comparing two different products and services.

Doom III RoE on 360 from a marketplace seller on Amazon isn't the same product as the Doom complete pack for PC here on Steam. You wouldn't know this, of course, because you made something up out of thin air without reading anything besides a number.

And what you're buying for $9.20 is a used optical disc whose quality you can't determine before purchase. I mean, you don't even really know if you'll be scammed or not. That seller offering the $9.20 price could just take your money and never send the product. That can't happen on Steam. The price of this used disc is also set by a random person out there and not the publisher or developer of the game. You also can't be sure that the disc will last forever. You can also damage the disc. Where does that leave you then?

With Steam, you get a better product with more content. The price of this product is set by the publisher of the product, in this case id Software. You can always be certain the files will be available for download. If you get a new computer with a new operating system, you can still play Doom whereas with the 360 version you're tied to the 360 hardware forever if you wish to enjoy that game in the future.

So, you see, you're complaining about the price of one product and its feature set because a used, completely different product with a different feature set is cheaper at a different place that isn't even a store. It's just one person selling a used DVD. But it's cheaper. So you complain.

MoonUNit: http://www.amazon.com/Doom-3-Resurre...3570945&sr=1-2
Could you be any more condescending? If you'd have read the links I provided, you would see that I'm not "making things up out of thin air" (a phrase you seem terribly fond of), and that Doom III ROE on the XBOX includes all the things in the 35$ Steam pack. Thanks much.
xveganrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
richard.eid
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 2169
Posts: 5,137
1. You haven't provided any links at all. I think we did that for you. Furthermore, the links we've provided clearly detail the differences between the two. But alas, it seems you still haven't clicked on any of them, and if you have then you haven't been able to understand the details.

2. You are making this up out of thin air because "Doom III ROE on the XBOX includes all the things in the 35$ Steam pack" is terribly inaccurate. If you would spend just a few more minutes researching the differences, you'd see that you're getting a completely different product. Much of the content is similar, but the Steam distribution of this has a lot more content and extensibility. More than that, with the Steam distribution you have the ability to use source ports to enhance and further improve the Doom experience. And maybe I'm mistaken, but you can't download any custom content for the 360 distribution. You just get what's there and that's it.

And that only scratches the surface. So, you see, when you say these two products are the same, I don't what you're talking about. But like someone else said, if you don't like the price then wait for a sale. I think I picked up the Doom complete pack for ~$15 during a sale. I believe it's actually been cheaper than that since.
richard.eid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
xveganrox
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 24
I'm not going to acknowledge the clearly and obviously false things you're saying, since you're selectively ignoring much of what I'm saying, but I do feel the need to ask about this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.eid View Post
...the Steam distribution of this has a lot more content and extensibility. More than that, with the Steam distribution you have the ability to use source ports to enhance and further improve the Doom experience. And maybe I'm mistaken, but you can't download any custom content for the 360 distribution...
As far as I know, you're correct insofar as that it is difficult or impossible to use "mods" or custom WADs on console games. Are you suggesting that it is okay for id software to inflate prices based on independent, freely available content? If so, I rest my case on the absurdity of your argument.

As a side note, the next time I see it on sale for < $15 on Steam I'll certainly grab it. Until then, if I feel the desire to play it I will use other available means, for the reasons I've given above. I still find it ridiculous that a 7+ year old game is being sold above the price of many new games - not because I think the game itself lacks value (I don't; I've heartily enjoyed DIII, RoE, and D1/D2) but simply because it's accepted that as many things get older they should reduce their cost accordingly.
xveganrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
mjc0961
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 28
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by xveganrox View Post
I can't help but find it hilarious that they are selling the "complete" edition eight years later for $34.99.

but for an eight year old game, I'm not spending above $20.
See the contradiction here? You're not spending $35 for one game. You're spending $35 for 6 games. That's roughly $5.83 per game. And even more technically, it's 7 games (Final Doom is 2 full level packs bundled together), making it roughly $5 per game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonUNit View Post
Funny, I got the id Super Pack for $34.99 a while back.

Don't like the price? Either don't buy it or wait for a sale.

EDIT: I must be looking at the wrong thing. Doom Pack (Doom 1 and 2):
http://www.amazon.com/Doom-Collector...3571161&sr=1-1

Doom 3:
http://www.amazon.com/Doom-3-Pc/dp/B...d_sim_sbs_vg_6

Doom 3 RoE:
http://www.amazon.com/Doom-3-Resurre...ef=pd_sim_vg_3

All those combined is more than 35 bucks.
You there, stop making sense. You'll shatter TC's sad little world and make him cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xveganrox View Post
If my thread bothers you I'd appreciate you staying out of it.
Okay then, but by that logic, if the price of games on Steam bothers you, we'd appreciate you staying off Steam. Or people can go wherever they want and post whatever they want (as long as they follow the rules) in a PUBLIC forum. You can't have both at your own leisure, so pick one: either stop telling people to leave your thread, or follow your own logic and leave this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xveganrox View Post
Could you be any more condescending?
Of course. In fact, no one can be condescending enough for this thread. To be quite blunt, you have absolutely no sense of value ($35 for one game is too much, even though the bundle is actually 6 or 7 games depending on perspective?), have done absolutely no research (RoE for Xbox includes all the things in the Steam pack? Wrong, RoE on Xbox does does not include Final Doom or Doom 3), and have been blatantly lying (the links you provided? You haven't provided a single link). This thread and every post you have made it in are, to be quite frank, terrible.
mjc0961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
Deighvyd
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Reputation: 13
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc0961 View Post
See the contradiction here? You're not spending $35 for one game. You're spending $35 for 6 games. That's roughly $5.83 per game. And even more technically, it's 7 games (Final Doom is 2 full level packs bundled together), making it roughly $5 per game.

You there, stop making sense. You'll shatter TC's sad little world and make him cry.

Okay then, but by that logic, if the price of games on Steam bothers you, we'd appreciate you staying off Steam. Or people can go wherever they want and post whatever they want (as long as they follow the rules) in a PUBLIC forum. You can't have both at your own leisure, so pick one: either stop telling people to leave your thread, or follow your own logic and leave this forum.

Of course. In fact, no one can be condescending enough for this thread. To be quite blunt, you have absolutely no sense of value ($35 for one game is too much, even though the bundle is actually 6 or 7 games depending on perspective?), have done absolutely no research (RoE for Xbox includes all the things in the Steam pack? Wrong, RoE on Xbox does does not include Final Doom or Doom 3), and have been blatantly lying (the links you provided? You haven't provided a single link). This thread and every post you have made it in are, to be quite frank, terrible.
Makin' me all warm 'n fuzzy inside.

+rep
Deighvyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
sonsonate
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Reputation: 14
Posts: 117
"And what you're buying for $9.20 is a used optical disc whose quality you can't determine before purchase. I mean, you don't even really know if you'll be scammed or not. That seller offering the $9.20 price could just take your money and never send the product. That can't happen on Steam. The price of this used disc is also set by a random person out there and not the publisher or developer of the game. You also can't be sure that the disc will last forever. You can also damage the disc. Where does that leave you then?"

Yeah, you know, for someone with that many posts, I would have avoided this argument like plague. Both sides sound silly.

For one, if you get scammed as a seller or buyer on Amazon, you can file a claim. I've done this and I've also contacted sellers when things went awry and I've had my money fully refunded, got to keep the product (eg: Fallout 3 with used key) and make do with what I got (use a Gears of War key to play) -- or just try again and buy from someone else (bought again).

Discs scratched? I've never had that happen to the point where it can't be read in all my years unless it was on purpose. Once when my daughter figured out how to open my disc drive and put in her own music CDs and another time when the game I got was such utter crap I scratched it with a knife.

In regards to the price sure the price is set by said random person, but you could decide whether or not to buy it. Usually, the prices aren't too far off the modal price. If it's especially low, the person's either used the key, damaged, or lost something important that devalues the item.

I like to buy from Steam. I like to buy from Amazon. There have been times where Steam (well, there are plenty of games that are way expensive on Steam compared to retail) was more pricey than retail and I went that route. No need to go off the deep end, just buy it retail or wait for a Steam sale. Also no need to jump all over the guy for saying something is cheaper at XYZ Store -- it happens.

Lol.
sonsonate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #15
richard.eid
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 2169
Posts: 5,137
OK, so you get your money refunded. Now what is your next cheapest option? Is it still $9.20? What if the next one you buy ends up not being satisfactory and you require a refund for that, too? Then what is your next cheapest option? You may have never been burned like this, but I have. And so have plenty of other people. Also consider what your time may be worth. I'm sure there may be a little inflation in the price due to the convenience factor that Steam offers, but I'd say it's worth it. I'd never have to worry about a refund because the product didn't come exactly as described.

But I don't know who went off the deep end. The guy created this thread with a condescending tone and he was replied to in kind. He was so sure of himself that one product cost $9.20 while another product he thought was exactly the same cost a lot more. I tried to point out that he didn't read the listing properly and he came back with more of the same. So, you know...it gets frustrating trying to inform people that don't listen and you really have no choice but to repeat yourself.
richard.eid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Doom series


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.