Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Server Feedback

Old 04-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Ahippo

Unhappy Good tutorials for starting a TF2 server?

Since several of my friends and I play and enjoy TF2 (we also run a small gaming community), we decided to collectively buy a TF2 server. My question is this: Where is a good place to find a tutorial on basic server setup (installing mods, configuring the server, grouping players [Newbie, Regular, Frequent, VIP, Donator, Admin])?

I have checked out AlliedModders, and they seem to have pretty good mods, but I was also wondering if there is a list of exclusively TF2 mods, since the boards there seem to be cluttered with mods for other games.

Finally, I'd like to ask for some links for mods that I like but haven't been able to find
First: a mod that periodically prints messages in chat (such as "Remember to visit our forums!")

Second: A mod that would play a sound clip whenever a certain player entered

Third (and I know that HL2 Stats does this, but I'm trying to find a free version): A mod that tracks a user's time playing on the server, and optionally automatically promotes a user to a group once he/she reaches a certain playtime.

Thank you very much,
RalphORama (aka AHippo)
Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
M33CROB

Go to http://sourcemod.net which is allied mods, but not, and choose plugins, then select TF2 from the game list.
M33CROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
M33CROB

Allied Mods is the forum aspect of SM, MM, AMX etc, but the link above is the web site not forum.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
Ahippo

Thank you for the tip!
Ahippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
abcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahippo View Post
grouping players [Newbie, Regular, Frequent, VIP, Donator, Admin])?
Simple Chat Colors allows you to put tags on players' names in chat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahippo View Post
First: a mod that periodically prints messages in chat (such as "Remember to visit our forums!")
Advertisements.
abcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
Ahippo

Thanks very much, abcorn!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
M33CROB

Be mindful of problems that may arise with the Simple Chat Colors plugin. Since this plugin has to capture and inspect text, it can sometimes cause chat triggers to not work correctly. For example, if you have a stats system where players type "rank" in chat to get their rank, it may not work with SCC enabled.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
abcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M33CROB View Post
Be mindful of problems that may arise with the Simple Chat Colors plugin. Since this plugin has to capture and inspect text, it can sometimes cause chat triggers to not work correctly. For example, if you have a stats system where players type "rank" in chat to get their rank, it may not work with SCC enabled.
No, it will all work fine, provided the ranking plugin is a SourceMod plugin. The way that SourceMod works, every single plugin that hooks chat will receive every single message, even if one of the plugins blocks the engine from receiving it (which is what SCC does, then prints its own version of the message, with color).

I'm using a stats system alongside SCC and it works fine.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
Ahippo

Ok, I'll keep an eye on SCC.

Thanks for the help from everyone so far!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
M33CROB

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcorn View Post
No, it will all work fine, provided the ranking plugin is a SourceMod plugin. The way that SourceMod works, every single plugin that hooks chat will receive every single message, even if one of the plugins blocks the engine from receiving it (which is what SCC does, then prints its own version of the message, with color).

I'm using a stats system alongside SCC and it works fine.
I used that as an example. Quit trying to argue for the sake of arguing. Here's a better example: SCC WILL break functionality for the Web Shortcuts plugin. This is one that I know of for sure, 100% will conflict. I was just giving advise and trying to play devils advocate because some really bad/unintended things can/will happen with plugins that capture text. Another example, the chat filter/replacer plugin. If this plugin is configured to replace text (such as bad text/language) and someone types those bad words in chat too many times, it will overflow the buffer and crash the server.

My $0.02.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
abcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M33CROB View Post
I used that as an example. Quit trying to argue for the sake of arguing. Here's a better example: SCC WILL break functionality for the Web Shortcuts plugin. This is one that I know of for sure, 100% will conflict. I was just giving advise and trying to play devils advocate because some really bad/unintended things can/will happen with plugins that capture text. Another example, the chat filter/replacer plugin. If this plugin is configured to replace text (such as bad text/language) and someone types those bad words in chat too many times, it will overflow the buffer and crash the server.

My $0.02.
Not sure what you're talking about with Web Shortcuts. Web Shortcuts and SCC run alongside each other just fine on my server.

I'm not just arguing for the sake of arguing. I'm pointing out that SCC works on my server with no unwanted side-effects at all. Maybe you're using the older version of SCC?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Server Feedback