Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Silent Hill: Homecoming

Old 04-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
SPAMCraft1

Exclamation Shouldn't Steam Release Silent Hill 2-4 for Download?

I am an avid fan of the Silent Hill series, and I was just wondering this. Will Steam ever put 2-4 up for download since they've got Homecoming? The only prices you can get 2-4 for are like in the $60s-$120s. I'd never pay that money.

Would Steam ever release them? Also, what are your thoughts on releasing them.

xD
Old 04-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
newageretrohipi

It's not up to Steam. Konami, as the publisher, is the one who gets to decide whether those games are sold here.
newageretrohipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
amp5566

No, they shouldn't.
amp5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
AmphibiousKitty

You can get Silent hill 2-4 for PC all for under 20 dollars.
AmphibiousKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Alienware Gamer

Konami won't unless they update certain things like aspect ratio & FOV (both highly unlikely) as you need to mod the current SH2,3,4 to run on a 16:9 or 16:10 PC monitor as they are from the days when 4:3 PC monitors were std.
Alienware Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
willisverynice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienware Gamer View Post
Konami won't unless they update certain things like aspect ratio & FOV (both highly unlikely) as you need to mod the current SH2,3,4 to run on a 16:9 or 16:10 PC monitor as they are from the days when 4:3 PC monitors were std.
I don't think any of this is an issue since there is already a PC version of SH2. Why it isn't on Steam is a mystery to me, since SH5 is on Steam and they would stand to make some easy money if they made any of the GOOD SH games available through Steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp5566 View Post
No, they shouldn't.

useful
willisverynice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #7
Alienware Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willisverynice View Post
I don't think any of this is an issue since there is already a PC version of SH2. Why it isn't on Steam is a mystery to me, since SH5 is on Steam and they would stand to make some easy money if they made any of the GOOD SH games available through Steam.

useful
Silent Hill 2,3,4 all need mods to run on a non 4:3 aspect ratio display as they are not designed for it. Its only because PC modders worked out how to change FOV/Resolution these games are playable on modern displays but only SH3 has the corect FOV the others 2 games are stretched & look awkward.

Konami will not sell these again unless they can change the code & because they disbanded Team Silent circa 2004 its highly unlikely as it would mean spending money to employ someone who has the ability to reverse engineer the code & perform QA etc etc.

Best case scenario is Konami will just release with 4:3 the original media but they have had years to do this & are unlikely to as Silent Hill games do not sell that well anymore just go to ebay & buy them there then track down the aspect ratio mods.

I bought all the games on original release & even today all 3 are excellent games. SH3 is the only one with an aspect ratio mod the other 2 games have mods to stretch the screen but it messes up the FOV so they are best played with pillarboxing (black bars left & right hand side of the screen).
Old 05-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #8
Nightwalker83

Considering most games available on Steam don't actually need to be run via Steam it is pointless.
Nightwalker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Substancer

As much as I'd like to have them in my Steam list, a release over at GOG would make more sense. They would actually do the work needed to make the games run with less hassle on modern PC systems.
Substancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Alienware Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Substancer View Post
As much as I'd like to have them in my Steam list, a release over at GOG would make more sense. They would actually do the work needed to make the games run with less hassle on modern PC systems.
Thats not possible here as Konami disbanded the team after SH4 failed to sell enough so unless those sacked workers want to help Konami out (unlikely) GOG would have to reverse engineer the code which could take months to do a proper job. All 3 games need FOV & Widescreen fixes in the game code not easy to do if you do not have the original source code & notes to go with it (all in japanese as well).

The japanese Team Silent Hill were a brilliant bunch of people & crafted some classic survival horror games which to this day are the best ever made. Konami went cheap after SH4 as they lost patience in low sales which is a shame but unlikely to ever change now
Old 05-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Nightwalker83

Quote:
The japanese Team Silent Hill were a brilliant bunch of people & crafted some classic survival horror games which to this day are the best ever made. Konami went cheap after SH4 as they lost patience in low sales which is a shame but unlikely to ever change now
Yeah, since the games have been developed by companies outside Japan the games have slowly got worse.
Nightwalker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
dreamslides

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmphibiousKitty View Post
You can get Silent hill 2-4 for PC all for under 20 dollars.
Nonsense

Amazon tells me Silent Hill 3 Used 25 bucks
Silent Hill 4 20 bucks
Silent Hill 2 37 bucks............

you say all for 20 bucks? NONSENSE.............

Even ebay has questionable copies, are they bootlegs? idk but I dun trust them.

So yea they're lost forever it seems.......
dreamslides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #13
Alienchild

Quote:
Thats not possible here as Konami disbanded the team after SH4 failed to sell enough so unless those sacked workers want to help Konami out (unlikely) GOG would have to reverse engineer the code which could take months to do a proper job.
That's the dumbest thing I've heard, stop talking about this like you know how it works. As a programmer I can assure you that the client/employer will get the source/raw resources to the project. They do not need to reverse engineer anything, so stop tossing words around that you don't know. All that would be needed would be to set up a proper dev environment similar to what the project previously had -OR- move it to their current tech/env. One of these they have already done, as they recently re-released SH2 and SH3 in widescreen and high resolution for the PS3.
Alienchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
Alienware Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienchild View Post
That's the dumbest thing I've heard, stop talking about this like you know how it works. The irony in your statement As a programmer I can assure you that the client/employer will get the source/raw resources to the project. They do not need to reverse engineer anything, so stop tossing words around that you don't know. All that would be needed would be to set up a proper dev environment similar to what the project previously had -OR- move it to their current tech/env. One of these they have already done, as they recently re-released SH2 and SH3 in widescreen and high resolution for the PS3.
If you think for a moment that the recent abhorent SH2/3 re-releases are something which should go anywhere near the PC your even more clueless than I thought you were
Old 08-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
Substancer

GOG doesn't fix games, they just make them run on modern systems. Things like widescreen and POV changes are not something that they do. They just get the games up and running exactly how they originally looked. Which is good enough really for this purpose. Fixing the POV and adding widescreen is more along the lines of the work that like those "HD Remakes" were supposed to do.
Substancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Silent Hill: Homecoming