Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
Alshain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faravid View Post
Using XMP profiles is not overclocking, it's Intel's extension to SPD (memory profiles) to allow automatic setting of higher clocks that are not supported in normal memory profiles.
For some reason XMP is often disabled as default in the BIOS.
Well that's probably because other computer components may not be fully compatible with higher memory clocks and can cause problems.
Sometimes enabling XMP triggers an unintentional overclock due to TurboBoost. Though it's hard to say if you can really consider that an overclock, it's actually what it's designed to do.

Last edited by Alshain: 04-12-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #17
Bad_Motha

Banned
With any matching kit, watch out. If one RAM goes bad or needs an RMA, the whole kit must be RMA'd back.
Look around for better RAM.
TBO if you want the faster RAM, go with lower CAS timings.

If were me, I'd get 2 sets of this (2x4GB) kit, which is CAS7
To make setting the DRAM settings in the BIOS much easier, you want XMP RAM, which most RAM supports now. Just be sure that it does.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #18
YahooElite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faravid View Post
Using XMP profiles is not overclocking, it's Intel's extension to SPD (memory profiles) to allow automatic setting of higher clocks that are not supported in normal memory profiles.
For some reason XMP is often disabled as default in the BIOS.
Well that's probably because other computer components may not be fully compatible with higher memory clocks and can cause problems.
I Am aware of this, but enabling XMP on some motherboards enables 1 of 2 things, 1: Turboboost, i.e an Overclock, or 2 a higher then Turbo Overclock.

Its done this with my motherboard and with someone elses when i mentioned it doing this when XMP is enabled.

wouldnt have mentioned it if i didnt know what i was talking about or atleast have experience with it.
YahooElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #19
Bad_Motha

Banned
If XMP happens to present a problem, a simple work-around is to just disable Intel TurboBoost.

Although, u don't HAVE to use XMP, but for beginners it may make setting up the correct RAM frequency/voltage/timings that much easier. If you know what you're doing, don't bother with XMP, just manually setup the correct DRAM settings yourself.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems