Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #541
Patflute
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Oct 2011
Reputation: 302
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
Read the first line of that video's description.
Plus there's no PS3.
Its an example you could easily find a lot of videos comparing all 3. I picked it because it had PC on low and high. To me the low looked better than the 360.
Patflute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #542
SirDrexl
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 348
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardDragon View Post
But developers in general can't assume that console players have access to keyboard/mouse controls, which is why RTS games are so rare on consoles (I can't think of any offhand, although I'm sure there are a few I haven't heard of).

If Valve's Big Picture thing becomes popular and more console gamers become aware that they can play PC games in their living rooms too, then the option would be there to use keyboard/mouse for RTS games and gamepads for everything else (or whatever combination the player wants).

If I understand the Big Picture thing correctly, the PC wouldn't even need to be in the living room (I think it's supposed to run a cable from wherever the PC is to the TV) so that would probably address the concerns people brought up about having to carry the heavy PC back and forth, or have it take up space in the living room. Plus I'm sure Valve would include some kind of wireless hub to receive input from wireless gamepads, so I'm sure they could easily have it work for wireless mice and keyboards as well.

So even if the PC is more expensive for the actual hardware, I'm sure the player would make it up in savings from Steam sales and PC games being cheaper in general. I think the Big Picture thing could totally work if Valve does it right, and therefore there's no need for Valve to make their own hardware.
The bigger problem there, I think, is that a mouse/keyboard setup just doesn't work in most living rooms. It's technically possible, but most won't want to do it. Using a laptop on your lap for casual browsing is one thing, but playing a competitive game is another. Most people who have a HTPC set it up to be controlled by remote.

M/Kb really needs a stable surface of some sort like a table or desk. Unless you don't mind hunching over a coffee table, or you have a special chair with a tray in front, it's not comfortable to use in the typical living room. I just don't see it taking off outside of a niche like steering wheels (which generally also need special accommodation).

There have been mice and keyboards for consoles over the years, and they've never caught on. I'm not surprised.
SirDrexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #543
G4M3P4DS SU#K
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post
The bigger problem there, I think, is that a mouse/keyboard setup just doesn't work in most living rooms. It's technically possible, but most won't want to do it. Using a laptop on your lap for casual browsing is one thing, but playing a competitive game is another. Most people who have a HTPC set it up to be controlled by remote.

M/Kb really needs a stable surface of some sort like a table or desk. Unless you don't mind hunching over a coffee table, or you have a special chair with a tray in front, it's not comfortable to use in the typical living room. I just don't see it taking off outside of a niche like steering wheels (which generally also need special accommodation).

There have been mice and keyboards for consoles over the years, and they've never caught on. I'm not surprised.
I would NEVER play in my living room...the only reason why I like the Xim3 & 360 Combo is to have a more level playing field as far as hardware is concerned.
I will always use a desk..I'll just put the flat screen tv on the desk as my monitor.

Unless they somehow devise a way to make a rig setup that allows you to have a harness or something to have the mouse pad surface/keyboard(more likely a keypad like "Razor Nastromo") in your lap & have it where it feels natual to play that way...I don't see people playing M/KB in the living room.
G4M3P4DS SU#K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #544
WardDragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 238
Posts: 1,854
I was thinking maybe a stand to sit on top of the coffee table (like those stackable shelves that college students use) in order to raise the keyboard/mouse to a comfortable level. But I've never tried it so I don't know how well it would work (my PC monitor is high-def and my TV isn't, so I've actually got my 360 hooked up to my PC monitor instead of putting my PC in the living room :P).
WardDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #545
crunchyfrog555
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 2669
Posts: 9,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardDragon View Post
I was thinking maybe a stand to sit on top of the coffee table (like those stackable shelves that college students use) in order to raise the keyboard/mouse to a comfortable level. But I've never tried it so I don't know how well it would work (my PC monitor is high-def and my TV isn't, so I've actually got my 360 hooked up to my PC monitor instead of putting my PC in the living room :P).
Alternatively, one can do as I do. Get a different mouse.

Because of disability, I use a marble mouse (trackball). These can easily be accommodated whilst on sofa. I do it all the time.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #546
Dr.Fly
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Reputation: 3
Posts: 2,032
For years, Valve has been all about writing software that provides great gameplay experiences. Now we’re developing hardware to enhance those experiences, and you can be a key part of making that happen. Join our highly motivated team that’s doing hardware design, prototyping, testing, and production across a wide range of platforms. We’re not talking about me-too mice and gamepads here – help us invent whole new gaming experiences.

Woot, steambox;p?
Dr.Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #547
s1234567890m
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Reputation: 146
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Fly View Post
For years, Valve has been all about writing software that provides great gameplay experiences. Now we’re developing hardware to enhance those experiences, and you can be a key part of making that happen. Join our highly motivated team that’s doing hardware design, prototyping, testing, and production across a wide range of platforms. We’re not talking about me-too mice and gamepads here – help us invent whole new gaming experiences.

Woot, steambox;p?
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/04/val...s-interesting/
s1234567890m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #548
richard.eid
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 2169
Posts: 5,137
It's kinda like people forgot about a month ago when everyone already went over this. Why did they post that article? Why are other sites reporting on this again now? We already knew this, remember?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/e...-and-whether-w

I mean, I was pretty distracted by the epic beard(now with more epicness), but I still read the interview and remembered all of it a month later. GG journalism.
richard.eid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #549
leveller
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 429
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.eid View Post
It's kinda like people forgot about a month ago when everyone already went over this. Why did they post that article? Why are other sites reporting on this again now? We already knew this, remember?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/e...-and-whether-w

I mean, I was pretty distracted by the epic beard(now with more epicness), but I still read the interview and remembered all of it a month later. GG journalism.
The ad is new though?
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #550
WardDragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 238
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Fly View Post
For years, Valve has been all about writing software that provides great gameplay experiences. Now we’re developing hardware to enhance those experiences, and you can be a key part of making that happen. Join our highly motivated team that’s doing hardware design, prototyping, testing, and production across a wide range of platforms. We’re not talking about me-too mice and gamepads here – help us invent whole new gaming experiences.

Woot, steambox;p?
The "whole new game experiences" thing makes me think it's something totally new (as opposed to a custom-built PC or yet another console).

Going purely based upon what I think would be awesome, maybe it's voice-recognition that actually works so that we can talk to the characters directly and argue with Glados :P
WardDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #551
crunchyfrog555
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 2669
Posts: 9,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardDragon View Post
The "whole new game experiences" thing makes me think it's something totally new (as opposed to a custom-built PC or yet another console).

Going purely based upon what I think would be awesome, maybe it's voice-recognition that actually works so that we can talk to the characters directly and argue with Glados :P
There was a great interview with Gabe in PC Gamer this month where he explained that the "Steam Box" is nonsense, in effect. He explained that they have various setups they knock up to test their things upon, and that photo was one of them.

Of course, that's not to say something might come forward in future, and he certain hasn't discounted it. However, for the purpose of THIS "Steam Box", it is indeed bogus.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #552
leveller
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 429
Posts: 1,828
Let's add some more fuel to the thread:

http://www.cultofmac.com/160760/why-...lve-exclusive/
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:52 AM   #553
crunchyfrog555
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 2669
Posts: 9,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller View Post
Let's add some more fuel to the thread:

http://www.cultofmac.com/160760/why-...lve-exclusive/
It still doesn't mean an awful lot, for the reasons I expressed on the thread that someone has already put up about this.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:58 AM   #554
ilv
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 161
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller View Post
Let's add some more fuel to the thread:

http://www.cultofmac.com/160760/why-...lve-exclusive/
To be honest the author hasn't done a very good job. He should do more research.
ilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.