Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 04-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
SteJo6sic6

Having serious issues with my OS

Hey people hoping someone can help me with this. I ended up getting a BSOD yesterday on windows 7 the first one I got said "bad_pool_header".

I hoped maybe just a random error then I got another BSOD saying "memory_management". So I decided to format my system and do a clean install (hadn't done one in a while so I thought it couldn't hurt).

However when going to reinstall windows 7 I got the error code: 0x80070570. I've looked on forums for similar problems but have not found anything which has been much use to me.

I ended up getting an old version on XP working but even that has blue screened on me saying "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area". However I would like to get 7 back on my system.

These are my system specs:

- Case: Coolermaster Elite 334 Case - Black
- Power Supply: OCZ ZS 650w PSU
- CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz Sandybridge overclocked to 4.40GHz
- Motherboard: Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard ** B3 REVISION **
- Cooler: Xigmatek Dark Knight
- RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit "(I added an extra 4GB (2x2GB) from crucial.com and got the same thing when I went to reinstall windows 7. The extra 4GB had not given me any trouble from when I got it at xmas up until now."
- Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6GB/s
- Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked 1024MB GDDR5
- Sound: Realtek 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
- Optical Drive: LG DVD+/-RW SATA Drive

Does anyone have any suggestions on this issue?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
POWERMAN

Sounds like a memory issue..
since u did a fresh OS install, i take it ur drivers were upto date, so that could be ruled out..

Could be an issue with the Hard drive (paging) or Ram..?
but i'd suggest u wait for a more experienced person to advice..
POWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
YahooElite

RAM Problem.

Those errors have to do with 1 of 2 things, Bad RAM Stick, or a Failing Hard Drive.

Im leaning towards RAM. in my previous system i kept having problems, reformatted a few times, was thinking either HD or RAM, well last time i went to reformat/reinstall i was getting an error each time i tried.

Well to make a long story short, all the problems i had with that build was due to a bad RAM stick. removed the stick and Windows installed without a problem and didnt have any problems since with that build.

Run Windows Memory Diagnostic, thats what i was told to use to see if it was a RAM problem, it showed a hardware problem as soon as the Diag started.

You may have the same issue as the problems sound similar so give Mem Diag a go and see if anything pops up.

Btw, just noticed you said you were using Crucial RAM, the RAM i was using in that Build was Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB sticks of which 1 of the sticks was bad. there lies your problem i think.
-

One thing to keep in mind, RAM and a Hard Drive work together, paging etc as the person above me mentioned, if you have a problem with your RAM it'll more then likely cause problems with the hard drive as well. Like in my case of blue screens and having problems reinstalling Windows until the bad stick was removed.

Last edited by YahooElite: 04-13-2012 at 11:03 AM.
YahooElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
SteJo6sic6

Does Windows Memory Diagnostic tell you which stick it is that's bad because I have 4 sticks of 2GB RAM in my system and don't want to have to do trial and error 4 times to find out which stick(s) is bad. But I suppose if I have to I will.
SteJo6sic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
YahooElite

No it wont tell you which stick is bad, it'll just say that theres a Hardware Problem.

You'll have to test each stick individually to see which one is the problem stick if Diag does show theres a problem.
-

If you are unable to run Memory Diag, then what you can do is Remove one stick and attempt to reinstall Windows and go on from there until it actually lets you.

Time consuming sure, but not much else you can do really.

Or you can go the memtest route that everyone recommends, but honestly i think Win Memory Diag is good enough to get the job done.

Last edited by YahooElite: 04-13-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
SteJo6sic6

Cool thanks for the tip YahooElite. I'll try the Windows Memory Diagnostic with each stick on it's own. Thanks POWERMAN for replying too yeah all my drivers were up to date before I did a fresh install.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
YahooElite

np, well let us know how it turns out.

If you have any other unused RAM laying around you could give that a try also, even if its just 1 stick, just enough to get you started.
-

Also just a thought.. make sure the RAM you are using is compatible with your motherboard, long shot i know.

Any Overclocks you have set should be set to default as well to lower the possible cause of issues.

Last edited by YahooElite: 04-13-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
SteJo6sic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahooElite View Post
No it wont tell you which stick is bad, it'll just say that theres a Hardware Problem.

You'll have to test each stick individually to see which one is the problem stick if Diag does show theres a problem.
-

If you are unable to run Memory Diag, then what you can do is Remove one stick and attempt to reinstall Windows and go on from there until it actually lets you.

Time consuming sure, but not much else you can do really.

Or you can go the memtest route that everyone recommends, but honestly i think Win Memory Diag is good enough to get the job done.
I just spotted the edit you did where you suggest doing memtest. I was going to try that but I did it with a laptop I was going to fix and it took a week to get nowhere near done. WDM is doing well so far.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
YahooElite

Well in my case Win Mem Diag spotted the problem as soon as it started scanning.

If thats not doing it in your case it could be a Hard Drive problem rather then RAM, but im still leaning towards RAM.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
dosbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Jameson View Post
Have you put your system back to stock setting? That would be the first thing you should do.
This. Overclocks can turn bad over time.
dosbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
SteJo6sic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahooElite View Post
Well in my case Win Mem Diag spotted the problem as soon as it started scanning.

If thats not doing it in your case it could be a Hard Drive problem rather then RAM, but im still leaning towards RAM.
I had all my ram installed at the time and it wasn't the windows memory diag i was running it was something like memory mechanic x86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosbox View Post
This. Overclocks can turn bad over time.
I have never tried to overclock anything but my cpu and gpu came overclocked and superclocked (respectively) from the site I got it off. So do I need to change them?

Last edited by rotNdude: 04-14-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
YahooElite

The GPU isnt really in use until the desktop is loaded, as for the CPU yes for the moment you should default everything and see how it goes.

Try Installing Windows with just 1 RAM Stick, see if you get any results.
--

Okay this may sound a lil weird, but i was thinking about this in the shower..

For the RAM youve been using, what voltage are they rated for? cuz 1155 uses 1.5v for RAM, anything more could cause issues.

Last edited by YahooElite: 04-13-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems