Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Total War: SHOGUN 2

Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
ix_longy_xi

[BUG] - Ship cannot move after being boarded

First of all, I am getting tired of finding things wrong with this game. Why bother selling us a game which hasn't been fully tested and fixed first?!

/Rant

Hey,

My army was right next to my fleet, and it was the start of the turn so they had their full movement area available. However, once I boarded the fleet with my army, the ship could not go anywhere, like it had moved the max it could that turn.

I don't think that would be a feature so I'm guessing a bug?

Somebody else try it out to see if they have the same problem?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
Slartybart5

I think that's a feature. It gives other ships the opportunity to intercept your fleet before it lands and reflects the considerable amount of time it would take to load an army on to ships.
Slartybart5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #3
ix_longy_xi

I did consider that, loading an army onto a ship would take a long time. However if this is a feature, it would have been good to have your movement limited to the amount of troops being boarded. 1 unit of Spears will take much less time than 20 cavalry.

I didn't think it was a feature though as looking back as medieval and Rome, boarding ships didn't have the same penalties?

Last edited by ix_longy_xi: 04-12-2012 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
ix_longy_xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Slartybart5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ix_longy_xi View Post
I did consider that, loading an army onto a ship would take a long time. However if this is a feature, it would have been good to have your movement limited to the amount of troops being boarded. 1 unit of Spears will take much less time than 20 cavalry.

I didn't think it was a feature though as looking back as medieval and Rome, boarding ships didn't have the same penalties?
Remember in Rome and Medieval each turn was 6 months, but in Fall of the Samurai each turn only represents one month, so that might be why.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
masterthehero

That's can't be right dude, there's 4 seasons. I believe Shogun 2 is Quarterly, so it is actually 3 months.
masterthehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
Slartybart5

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterthehero View Post
That's can't be right dude, there's 4 seasons. I believe Shogun 2 is Quarterly, so it is actually 3 months.
It is in vanilla. FOTS is different though, so it's only one month per turn.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
masterthehero

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I keep forgetting people are talking about FOTS, I haven't transitioned to that game yet as I'm finishing up my Hojo campaign first.
masterthehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
ix_longy_xi

Ahh true, the turns represented a bigger time!

However, I have found that sometimes boarding a ship still leaves me with some movement space. Sometimes I can't move, sometimes I can.

If it was a feature, I would have thought it would be the same every time?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
Yokozunayojimbo

I am fairly sure that two things have an effect on ship movement after having been boarded.One will be how far the fleet had to move in order to allow the troops to board the other factor is to take into account the process of the ships being loaded.Also as others have said if you got a full movement length after just having been loaded up it would be an unfair advantage if you could suddenly sail half way to your objective right away.

And the turns in FOTS are on a smaller scale not a larger one.

Like I said the size of the fleet and the size of the army on it have an effect as well as how far the fleet had to move to allow boarding.I think that it is good game design because without it one could easily spam a bunch of fleets with troops on them on go crazy when such an operation was a major undertaking and still is.IT also adds in the element of planning.

Someone said that it allows others to intercept the fleet I disagree with that because often times the attacking force may be some distance away and perhaps still under the fog of war effect.

To get the most movement it would be best to move your fleet to the planned boarding location one turn in advance.No matter what however the movement in the same turn will always be reduced after having just loaded troops.

It is no bug that is for sure and it makes alot of sense from a balance standpoint.Also why just move one single unit via a fleet that is just a waste of resources.Honestly myself i like to send a larger force via a land route and then send a smaller force via a fleet and land the fleet based troops a turn of so ahead of the true attack force and the enemy often finds out the hard way a lesson from The Art of War when they go after the smaller force while the larger one sneaks in the back door.

Last edited by Yokozunayojimbo: 04-12-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Yokozunayojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
ix_longy_xi

Cool story Bro, needs more dragons and stuff.

No, thanks for clearing that all up. Now I have a tip for sieging too!

Thanks Yokozunayojimbo
Old 04-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
Yokozunayojimbo

You can always flip the coin as well and have the bait force be the land based one and the actual assault force be the fleet based one it could go either way you never know.I am always a bit weary of placing a very large army onto a fleet if the fleet should met a superior enemy one and it destroys all of your ships you just lost a huge army and perhaps your daimyo.

Expect the unexpected.The person that fights fair in war will surely loose.
Yokozunayojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
zarker

Did you board at a port, or just on some stretch of empty coastline?
zarker is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Total War: SHOGUN 2