Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Total War: SHOGUN 2

Old 04-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Stollen

RotS - Diplomacy

I have recently started out as the Minamoto clan on normal.
Several times now actually, trying to figure out the diplomacy, and I have a question;
Is the diplomacy kind of broken or just intended to be unreasonable?

Two things I think about right now...
1. Why isn't there ever anyone to arrange marriage with? I have gone through every encountered clan several times on different sessions.
2. Is it not possible to befriend Fujiwara? My last session I gave them 1000 koku every season until they were solid green on the diplomacy map. Still they rejected my alliance request no matter how much more money I offered.
"This offer is unacceptable!" -_-;

And of course they still declared war on me even though they were solid green. Seems kinda broken..

Do I HAVE to kick them in the nuts for them to leave me alone or what?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Neverpleased

My general sentiment is Diplomacy is for the weak or people that have enough time to patiently abuse a broken system. You'll need to money for your armies because most clans are hard-wired to go hostile when you pass a certain trigger. Conquer choke points and tank with your castles so they can't invade, just leave the diplomacy up to the people that want to use it.

In FotS I was a shogun allied clan. I had killed off most of the other Imperial clans guess what happened. The Shogun's faction decided to shift allegiances to the Emperor.

I ask you what's up with that? The Shogun's faction. The Tokugawa's. Shifted allegiance to the emperor, the losing side! The SHOGUN. The guy who had rallied clans around his cause to fight for him. Switched sides to team up with the losing side. Of course the rest of the clans continued to fight for the shogun. The shogun that was now siding with the emperor.

The Campaign AI just needed SOME clan to fight me so it made a random allegiance switch with the closest clan next to me. Seeing that massive pile of nonsense I quickly decided that neither of those tossers would be worth fighting for so say hello to the Republic of Japan, dictator Me.

Last edited by Neverpleased: 04-15-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Neverpleased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
3asytarg3t

I used diplomacy in ROTS along the lines of the three primary clan families fighting for ultimate control of the island.

Or to describe it more simply in primary colors since CA was accommodating enough to align it that way, anyone my same color, I'm aligning with diplomatically and economically. If you are either of the other two opposing colors, I'm working to undermine you, not bothering to do much of anything diplomatically with you, and possibly trading with you only temporarily if you're willing to do so.

So, if I'm red, I'm consolidating with the rest of the reds, and I'm aligning my military efforts in the direction of blue and green. Further, my agents are converting blue/green provinces to my cause (if you're not doing this heavily in ROTS, you're missing out on a very strong option to utilize in your campaign, in fact, it's really OP imho).

In short, nothing broken, unless of course you're trying to get along with the wrong people.
3asytarg3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Stollen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3asytarg3t View Post
In short, nothing broken, unless of course you're trying to get along with the wrong people.
Well... that just it! I wanna get the Fujiwara off my back without having to fight them. I understand all that about choosing your allies according to the "correct" family and all. And using agents I am. That's no problem

But I think it's somewhat to have a system that won't allow me to ally with Fujiwara when they have even better diplomatic values than some of the Minamotos in my case. Why bother with the system then?
They should just say "oh btw, you cannot ever befriend the Fujiwara", because it seems that would be the case here.

They should not have a diplomacy system that implies you can play however you want if you put some effort into it, when really you cannot...
Stollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
3asytarg3t

Then get them off your back w/o fighting, use agents.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Stollen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3asytarg3t View Post
Then get them off your back w/o fighting, use agents.
When he steamrolls me with 2-3 giant armies my agents are not that many to prevent that ^^ Nor is my treasury big enough.
Still a valid point though, but not really what I'm looking for. =)
Stollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
3asytarg3t

Well, I can only relay what's worked for me. And the key for me early is to obtain provinces w/o fighting, and to use cheap units to stave off attacks such as the ones you're encountering.

The other piece on the economic front, I make a beeline right from the start towards taking the closet province that provides me a port if I don't start with one. The instant I've got it, I send one ship east and one ship west, you can't trade with clans you've not encountered, so I don't waste anytime making contact with everyone so I can trade widely.

And next I upgrade the port, I consider this a very high priority, I need trade ships down taking over all the nodes at the west end of the island. With those secure I can financially weather the rest of the campaign and not worry about losing clan trade agreements either in the lead up to RD or when it inevitably hits.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Ba5tard5word

Junsatsushi are pretty important for converting AI provinces to your faction, and then buying them out. Something good to do at the start of a campaign is find all the clans near you that are in your faction who only have a single province. Get a junsatsushi ranked up a bit and have him go to those provinces and buy them out, you can get at least a few provinces easily like this. Also after RD when your twin clan declares war on you, send the junsatsushi to their provinces and get them to flip, very easy.
Ba5tard5word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
3asytarg3t

Agreed, that one agent is amazing in ROTS. Really the centerpiece of the game.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Total War: SHOGUN 2