Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther

Old 04-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
MaRkYBoX

Useful Tip: Binding Keys/mousewheel for 4-speed variable walk speed!!

I decided to buy this game (er, 'interactive story') because it has English subtitles, as I am deaf. I'm enjoying it so far, but one frustrating thing is when I fell down the wrong path, I had to start over again. Ugh, several lost minutes of repetitive boredom in an otherwise interesting land I liked exploring.

SOLUTION: Use the mousewheel for variable walk speed!

INSTRUCTIONS:
Edit your \Steam\steamapps\common\dear esther\dearesther\cfg\userconfig.cfg file and add these lines:

bind 1 "de_playerspeed 100"
bind 2 "de_playerspeed 200"
bind 3 "de_playerspeed 300"
bind 4 "de_playerspeed 400"
bind "W" "+forward"
bind "MOUSE1" "+forward"
bind "MOUSE2" "+zoom"
bind "MWHEELDOWN" "de_playerspeed 100"
bind "MWHEELUP" "de_playerspeed 200"
bind "MOUSE3" "de_playerspeed 400"

Then you can just lazily hold down the left mouse button to keep moving forward. No hands on keyboard needed. Also, you can use mousewheel up/down to speed up and slow down your walking. For turbo walk speed, just click the mousewheel. (Alternatively, just use the number 1,2,3,4 keys)

This "game" has a habit of resetting your speed back to walk speed, so the ability to change your walk speed back again, is quite useful to allevitate boredom....

You can even use a cordless mouse while lounging on the sofa in front of you HDTV to play this story - since the entire game can now be played without the keyboard (WASF), once the mouse buttons are bound as such.

Also, check my other thread:
BOOKS: Flip pages anytime...DVD: FastForward anytime...Esther: Fast walk/RUN! :-)
For a very _strong_ rationale why future storygames like these, MUST be able to be operated at variable speed, to skip boring/familiar parts (such as backtracking a long path to go down a different path)

Last edited by MaRkYBoX: 04-15-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
simplen00b

What am I doing wrong?

I've copied the code into the userconfig file (which was blank BTW) and it makes no difference. Is there some setting I need to change in the game options? I'd really like to get this to work!
simplen00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
GuardianAngel42

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplen00b View Post
I've copied the code into the userconfig file (which was blank BTW) and it makes no difference. Is there some setting I need to change in the game options? I'd really like to get this to work!
Should probably be put in config.cfg instead, located in the same folder. Just a hunch, but that's where all the other settings are.
GuardianAngel42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
Nekociel

Thumbs up

Thank you man! It really helps :P
Nekociel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
simplen00b

Any changes I make to the config.cfg file somehow get overwritten and changed back to what they were as soon as I start the game . Any ideas on how I can stop that happening?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Nekociel

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplen00b View Post
Any changes I make to the config.cfg file somehow get overwritten and changed back to what they were as soon as I start the game . Any ideas on how I can stop that happening?
Right click on the file, select "properties" and then tick the box "read-only", now you can edit it :P
Nekociel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
simplen00b

Unfortunately that's not the problem. I can change the config file, save and close it, and if I open it again without starting the game, my changes are still there. However, if I open DE (just to the start menu - I don't even have to start playing) and then open the config file, it's somehow overwritten all the changes I've made and reverted back to the original. Any ideas?
EDIT: OK - think I've got it sorted; I added the lines to the config file and then made it read-only. Thanks again for the tip!

Last edited by simplen00b: 10-20-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther