Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wargame: European Escalation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #31
Burro Loco
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 194
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizLestrad View Post
Ok, so from what I've read the campaign can be annoyingly difficult, but hows the story from a character development/cinematic standpoint compared to those found in RUSE, World in Conflict, or Starcraft II?

I really, really want to like this game, but everything I've heard or read so far has proven itself to be a major turn off (lack of coop vs ai, lack of defensive structures/base building). I'm hoping that a cinematic masterpiece of a campaign will sell the game because in a year of a total lack in decent RTS games this could have been the next RUSE.
It's not happening here. As far as I know you are not playing as a character here.

************************

I don't mind RTS being difficult. However the IA is not difficult, it just cheats. The IA pulls units out of nowhere.

I don't mind losing when I know I've been outplayed. If the IA outflanks me or outmaneuvers etc but the overall feeling is that I'm being cheated.

Eugene made a good job with the design of the units and to some extend with the gameplay, but the IA is very poor. It will toss units and units agains you without trying to flank or anything. It seldom uses any recon, however the IA always knows where you are and where are your weak spots.

The game is not bad but even after the 40% off it's overpriced.
Burro Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #32
Malakie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 62
To those of you complaining about how bad the campaign is, how many of you have served in the military in real life?

The campaign is not hard in the sense that it just outright is impossible to play due to stupid things... no it is hard because it is well done in terms of tactical combat.

THIS game actually MAKES you think and utilize some strategy instead of just placing units and shooting things up. I have played many many combat games and this is the first one I have had to actually take my time with.

If you want to play this you need to use strategy and slow down and think about the units that you need for the particular battle and environment. You need to position units properly.. just throwing them out there in this game gets them killed - period. Use cover and concealment, set up ambushes and LEARN how to properly use your scouts because in this game they are invaluable.

The first thing I asked was how many of you have been in the real thing? Well I have and although this is just a sim/game, it is NOT a fly by night, make more units than the other guy, meet head on through the front door arcade game. You have to stop and think and plan a little bit. Otherwise you will get no where.

When I started playing I was getting my kicked because I was playing it at first like so many of the other titles I have tried. When I finally sat back, slowed down and planned out a bit more THEN I started completing scenarios.

Try it and you may be very surprised at some of the moves the enemy takes against you.. things that a REAL life military would and do take in real battles.
Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #33
danuker
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Reputation: 7
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakie View Post
Try it and you may be very surprised at some of the moves the enemy takes against you.. things that a REAL life military would and do take in real battles.
On a side note, Single Campaign is hard on the first try but the AI in skimirsh/comp stomp games is beyond .
danuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #34
Malakie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriest George View Post
I guess I'm the only one enjoying the story of SP, I find it quite realistic. I think they've gone intentionally for weird impersonalized WarGames (the movie) style and you get this war room feel to it. And I was actually pretty hooked with the SP and story for 10-20h..

After that I found MP. Haha.

CountBrass btw, Strikers range exceeds normal tank gun range so you just got to be more delicate with it, and after all its pretty cheap unit. I think they've gone the gameplay/balance route with ATGMs, though recon squads would be pretty good with lasers to designate ATGM targets.

As I eluded to in my post, I too like the campaign and the level of detail and command and control. With the right changes in the future, this could become one of the best sims out there for this genre.

I do like the fact I cannot just role over the AI.. THAT makes this game worthwhile. For those that do not like that, then perhaps this is not the game for you. There are PLENTY of other wargames where there is no strategy involved.. just build more units than the computer and attack.

If that is what you like.. well you will not find that here.
Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #35
Rørbæk
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 25
When you have finished a campain then try to go back with all your new units and start with the first battle and you will realise that a lot have chanced and that it is essential which units you are unlocking along the way.
Rørbæk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #36
Nate Dog
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 4
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakie View Post
As I eluded to in my post, I too like the campaign and the level of detail and command and control. With the right changes in the future, this could become one of the best sims out there for this genre.

I do like the fact I cannot just role over the AI.. THAT makes this game worthwhile. For those that do not like that, then perhaps this is not the game for you. There are PLENTY of other wargames where there is no strategy involved.. just build more units than the computer and attack.

If that is what you like.. well you will not find that here.
I think your missing out on what alot of people are complaining about and I am not talking about difficulty. The big issue in terms of the AI is that it does not use strategy it cheats.
Nate Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #37
montyburns1983
 
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2012
Reputation: 37
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyaman View Post
some of you "casual" gamers

lol oh you're one of those "serious" gamers aren't you.

that's so cute.
montyburns1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #38
Nate Dog
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 4
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyburns1983 View Post
lol oh you're one of those "serious" gamers aren't you.

that's so cute.
Umm wow really? If they are not a casual gamer then they are not a gamer they are something else, something I don't want to know about.
Nate Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #39
montyburns1983
 
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2012
Reputation: 37
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Dog View Post
Umm wow really? If they are not a casual gamer then they are not a gamer they are something else, something I don't want to know about.
lol GAMING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!!!!!!!!

mostly when gaming is so important because it's the only wins you get in life LOL
montyburns1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #40
Malakie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Dog View Post
Umm wow really? If they are not a casual gamer then they are not a gamer they are something else, something I don't want to know about.

Heh, I have no idea what either of you are referring to. I play when I feel like it. Usually on bad weather days when I cannot be out on the motorcycle or whatever.

As for serious gaming.. Instead of saying I am serious gamer, I would say I am a gamer that wants the computer to give me a challenge. I am tired of sims that I can beat right out of the box even on the hardest setting.

I like Combat Mission Shock Force but even on IRON mode, I walk all over the enemy units. Other sims are the same for me. This is the first one that has actually given me a challenge.

Some say it cheats... I do not see that at all. What I see are tactics being used that do reflect real world combat options.

I have played the 5th scenario now probably 20 times and still cannot beat it. The scenario is about the russian surge before the peace talks and just as in real life, they throw everything at you including the kitchen sink. But they do not come head on... no they flank, use resources for scouting and hit hard the weak spot in your line..

So serious gamer no. But one that wants good solid game to really get into, yes. I am tired of wasting money on games that I beat in a matter of hours. Maybe my military background also has something to do with that but then if that were the case maybe I would be beating this one too just as much.. All I know, is this game is giving me the challenge I have looked for in sims... finally!

I hope in the future they come out with more.. I would love to see this game in a version with current modern technology.. Perhaps they could do a version where the U.S. is attacked at home.. With this engine and AI, it would be very feasible that we could lose!
Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #41
Nate Dog
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 4
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakie View Post
Heh, I have no idea what either of you are referring to. I play when I feel like it. Usually on bad weather days when I cannot be out on the motorcycle or whatever.

As for serious gaming.. Instead of saying I am serious gamer, I would say I am a gamer that wants the computer to give me a challenge. I am tired of sims that I can beat right out of the box even on the hardest setting.

I like Combat Mission Shock Force but even on IRON mode, I walk all over the enemy units. Other sims are the same for me. This is the first one that has actually given me a challenge.

Some say it cheats... I do not see that at all. What I see are tactics being used that do reflect real world combat options.

I have played the 5th scenario now probably 20 times and still cannot beat it. The scenario is about the russian surge before the peace talks and just as in real life, they throw everything at you including the kitchen sink. But they do not come head on... no they flank, use resources for scouting and hit hard the weak spot in your line..

So serious gamer no. But one that wants good solid game to really get into, yes. I am tired of wasting money on games that I beat in a matter of hours. Maybe my military background also has something to do with that but then if that were the case maybe I would be beating this one too just as much.. All I know, is this game is giving me the challenge I have looked for in sims... finally!

I hope in the future they come out with more.. I would love to see this game in a version with current modern technology.. Perhaps they could do a version where the U.S. is attacked at home.. With this engine and AI, it would be very feasible that we could lose!
Yes I agree you are missing the point and I wish a military background had something to do with it because this game would be a joke then.
Nate Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #42
Malakie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Dog View Post
Yes I agree you are missing the point and I wish a military background had something to do with it because this game would be a joke then.

No I get your point.. you think the AI does not use strategy and it cheats. I disagree. I thought I said that clearly in the last post.
Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #43
Nate Dog
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 4
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakie View Post
No I get your point.. you think the AI does not use strategy and it cheats. I disagree. I thought I said that clearly in the last post.
Im only refering to facts here, what do you call it when the AI knows where my units are and goes for the weak point without a single scout unit on the battlefield.
Nate Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #44
Malakie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 62
I would agree that could be an issue.. I have not seen that yet however. Every time I get spotted I send out recon and invariably I end up finding his recon hidden in some forest nearby or a chopper just out of my sight range.

Also keep in mind that as your units gain experience, their abilities get better and they can see farther, shoot farther and are more accurate too.

That is why you do not want to let units die if at all possible.
Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #45
offlinenolife
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 10
Posts: 67
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakie View Post
Also keep in mind that as your units gain experience, their abilities get better and they can see farther, shoot farther and are more accurate too.

That is why you do not want to let units die if at all possible.
Exactly, and that is why permanent death does not make sense. To me permadeath is what makes the campaign so ridiculously difficult for people who are not master strategists or keen MP players - people who may lose a handful of units in every mission. Be warned folks: the game won't let you get away with it.

If you lose any unit at any time, you've not only lost the unit itself and its XP - you've also lost the right to summon a lvl 0 replacement for that unit. Wait wut ? You may have completed all objectives and achieved victory, but losses mean you have less reinforcements of certain unit types for the next mission, which may in turn become near impossible to complete without more losses. So you have to replay both missions, and get a perfect k/d ratio this time or else !!

Nonsense.

"No permanent death in SP" has been on the official fixes list for some time, I hope it happens soon.
offlinenolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wargame: European Escalation


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.