Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Stellar Impact

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
Shait
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Reputation: 15
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorith View Post
What I think he means is that in a game like this the only way to throw out a demo that wouldnt be vacant of people would be to let you play with everyone else but lock out certain features like upgrading. This would cause you to have a terrible experience as you would get trounced in combat due to having locked features. Or soemthing along those lines
demo could be restricted with some time limit or you can play only 5 battles etc.... there is a lot of options... just my opinion don't kill me
Shait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #17
garon
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 37
I understand about having a demo. Although, do you go to a restaurant and demand the restaurant to give you a taste test of their ten dollar meal? You simply are interested in trying it or you are not. Besides, people waste ten dollars on far lesser things and not think twice about it when they are bored with it.
garon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
Shait
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Reputation: 15
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by garon View Post
I understand about having a demo. Although, do you go to a restaurant and demand the restaurant to give you a taste test of their ten dollar meal? You simply are interested in trying it or you are not. Besides, people waste ten dollars on far lesser things and not think twice about it when they are bored with it.
your argument is worse i saw
Shait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #19
jimrad1
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Reputation: 282
Posts: 1,059
I dunno, I can grasp pretty well if I will like a title or not just from user vids on youtubey. Granted its nice to be at the controls themselves, but user vids tend to show enough to me whether I would be interested in a title or not.
jimrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #20
Kradath
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Reputation: 198
Posts: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanAngel View Post
I am actively replying because I was hoping for a dialogue.
About what? You apparently don't care about opinions about the game from those playing it.

Should we discuss if there is maybe some hidden demo on the other side of the moon? There's no demo, so there's nothing to discuss.
Kradath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:06 AM   #21
CyanAngel
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kradath View Post
About what? You apparently don't care about opinions about the game from those playing it.

Should we discuss if there is maybe some hidden demo on the other side of the moon? There's no demo, so there's nothing to discuss.
You miss understand me, I don't care about the opinions of people who tell me to change my mind because they say I should change my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad1 View Post
I dunno, I can grasp pretty well if I will like a title or not just from user vids on youtubey. Granted its nice to be at the controls themselves, but user vids tend to show enough to me whether I would be interested in a title or not.
I agree to a point, however Youtube videos only help to a point. Some games can seem incredibly interesting to watch and you think you might enjoy it, only to find that the game-play doesn't engage you or the commentator made it fun for you.

There is also the problem that a demo gives you the chance to test the game on your computer system. A prime example of where I didn't do this was Magicka, a very popular game, well received by press and players, I jumped right in only to find my graphics, despite meeting the requirements to play, were incompatible with the game. That game had a demo, but I was impulsive and now I'm stuck with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by garon View Post
I understand about having a demo. Although, do you go to a restaurant and demand the restaurant to give you a taste test of their ten dollar meal? You simply are interested in trying it or you are not. Besides, people waste ten dollars on far lesser things and not think twice about it when they are bored with it.
Depends on the restaurant really, but I do see your point. However there are plenty of other media where a form of demonstration is possible. You can usually listen to a demo of a album before buying, you can watch a trailer of a movie before buying your ticket, you can demo a stereo before buying it. Plenty of contextual demonstrations of a media are available, why not have a contextual demonstration of a game?
CyanAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #22
Toadee
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 1
I also came here to "complain" that there was no demo. Look at it like this, guys: you bought the game without it having a demo. That's really nice for you. But the OP, me, and some other people simply don't buy games we aren't sure about without a demo.

We are simply here to let the developers know. We are not whining, not incessantly going on about it, and not calling anyone names. So please just accept our position: we are saying: developers, we have money and were willing to spend it, but because there is no demo we didn't. It is our hope that the developers will listen, if not this time, then for future games, and then everyone will be happy.
Toadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:24 AM   #23
zeropositivo
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 110
I would say a demo would have been nice. There once was a demo function, where you could play 10 games before having to choose (a friend of mine got into the game because of it). Then for a brief period there was FTP, with the limit being free accounts unable to get past MK1

I can see why they removed the second (frustrating), but not totally sure why the first wasn't ok

I can see, tho, that if they are having capacity problems like they have now, a demo (to increase the popularity of the game even further) woulnd't be exactly on the top of their priorities. Most MMO do that as well, where the trial version only becomes avaliable when the population spikes have stabilized

In general, tho, every game should have a demo. It's what a "Game" is all about. Movies have trailers, restaurants have reviews, art has critics, and games should have demos
zeropositivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #24
sinoth
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Reputation: 0
Posts: 22
You guys haven't touched on what I believe is the #1 reason to have a demo -- so people know the game will run on their computer. There are a lot of people with borderline compatible video cards that would like to know if their $10 will be completely wasted.

I like garon's reference to a restaurant, but here is the big difference: you know food at a restaurant is edible. You have a mouth and it is possible for you to eat it (even though you may not like it). It isn't that way with PC's... it is entirely possible to purchase a product you cannot run.

It's for that reason I strongly believe a demo should exist, even just a 'rolling' demo (one where you have no control) just so people can see if the game runs on their hardware.
sinoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #25
BVChaosInc
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 72
This game does not have a demo because its small indie dev team does not have time to make you one. They are too busy making/improving this great game for their paying customers.

If you can take a gamble on a game which cost about as much as two big macs, then GTFO.

/thread
BVChaosInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #26
CyanAngel
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVChaosInc View Post
This game does not have a demo because its small indie dev team does not have time to make you one. They are too busy making/improving this great game for their paying customers.

If you can take a gamble on a game which cost about as much as two big macs, then GTFO.

/thread
Surely a demo should be the first priority of a small independent developer, it provides incredible marketing and public awareness, it's hardly costs compared to paying for advertising and it doesn't require the development of new assets.

Prime example, before Minecraft became popular, the one developer working on it had a completely free demo, that you could play for as long as you want. The demo however, isn't updated, it doesn't have any of the content made since a certain point in development, but its there it gives you a chance.

How are you going to convince people to buy your games if no one knows who you are or what your games are like?

Last edited by CyanAngel: 04-16-2012 at 10:07 AM.
CyanAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #27
The_Monarch
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 8
The game costs $8. Stop acting like this is the biggest decision of your life. Read other people's opinions, read some reviews, look at the game on youtube and decide if you think it's worth risking 8 whole dollars.

And really a demo would be problematic for this game, since you can easily have demo players ruining an hour long game for people who actually bought it... unless you have separate lobby for demo players and then people won't buy the game if the demo lobbies are empty...
The_Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #28
Nryrony
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanAngel View Post
Watching a game and playing a game are different experiences.
True, but still for 95% of the games out there a demo does not exist. In therms of MOBA, shure LoL is f2p... and yet you don't have access to all heroes and it takes forever to unlock them. Here you get the whole game for 10 bucks.

Still, it's your chioce what you do!
Nryrony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #29
InuHanyou1701
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 5
I completely agree with the "no demo no purchase" policy. Unless it's a game I know for a fact I will enjoy, I never purchase a game I can't try. However, as I understand it, you are supposed to be able to make a trial account for Stellar Impact. But as the website has annoyingly been down since the beginning of the Steam sale (If not before then?) I don't think there's any way to create a trial account right now (Assuming that they haven't eliminated the option entirely.)
InuHanyou1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #30
jeff13004
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 4
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Monarch View Post
The game costs $8. Stop acting like this is the biggest decision of your life. Read other people's opinions, read some reviews, look at the game on youtube and decide if you think it's worth risking 8 whole dollars.

And really a demo would be problematic for this game, since you can easily have demo players ruining an hour long game for people who actually bought it... unless you have separate lobby for demo players and then people won't buy the game if the demo lobbies are empty...
Exactly what this guy said. You make it sound like your Investing thousands in the stock market or something. Not to mention this game has ridiculous minimum requirements my 5 year old dell laptop meets these minimums ......
jeff13004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Stellar Impact


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.