Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

Old 04-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Bobafett2k6

Getting insanely frustrated. (DR)

I'm only on the second mission, I made it to "Sunbeam" without being spotted, assaulted and blew it up.

Now here's the problem, a couple of gunships rock up and wipe me out. So I load up the last checkpoint and it's at the point where the gunships rock up... I simply cannot get away.

I thought about starting the entire mission again but then will this just happen again as soon as I blow up "sunbeam"? I guess it's my only option now...

Any tips?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
bobsbarricades

are you playing with the ultimate AI?

I had SUCH a hard time completing the 2nd mission because of that AI. And yes...started over again and again and again and again. It was kind of frustrating but I liked the challenge.

On tips, IIRC, I ended up going REALLY wide up north. The gunship was a huge problem for me but I kept to the rocks and when I was inevitably spotted, routed to places I could defend. Took a while but running away from OPFOR was often a very VIABLE option for me. Take advantage of terrain WHENEVER possible.
bobsbarricades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
Bobafett2k6

Yeah I'm using the Ultimate AI.

I've started over and made sure I'm in a better position when I detonate "Sunbeam". I destroyed both SAM sites and the friendly Cobras turned up I was on my way to the radar site and a Cobra was shot down so I failed the mission?? What did I do wrong? I figured with the SAM sites out of action I was free to move on to the radar site... Was I too slow in getting to it?

This has to be one of the most frustrating games I've played in years, in fact the difficulty reminds me of playing games as a kid when if you died you simply started again! It's really enjoyable and I'm slowly but surely getting to grips with it.

Thanks for the help.
Bobafett2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
bobsbarricades

with the ultimate AI it definitely has that feel. I think one of the first versions he put out (and later tweaked) there were a lot more explosions. Enemy and friendly AI were not afraid to use their wicked accurate grenade launchers and rockets (great when your squad was doing it). It's possible that some lone infantry was equipped with AA rockets and you got unlucky. Which really sucks if that's the case.

We could co-op sometime and work through the frustration of it together! lol. I'm USEast if interested. I'm definitely not the greatest at that game because I always seem to play it in spurts and never master ordering the AI around as seems necessary with the UAI. Also have some friends across the pond that will probably play with you. Pvt. Snail on here; hes a great guy.

ps - do you always get spotted by the convoy at the beginning? I hated how Alpha? I think would always get spotted and the convoy would stop and it was this 50/50 chance of being detected from the get go =/ lol. UAI is nuts.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Pvt.Snail

/me hops in.

Thanks for the accolades bobsbarricades. ;-)

If you need any co-op with this let me know. I currently am up to my ears in work but should have time near the end of April (that is why I keep missing you bobsbarricades) to assist, if you can wait that long.

Visit us at www.ofab.co.uk and give a shout. We will be glad to help you through the game. It is a great campaign and really enjoyable with 4 real players.

Quick tip...give this a read - http://www.supercheats.com/guides/op...ind-the-dragon
Pvt.Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Bobafett2k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbarricades View Post
We could co-op sometime and work through the frustration of it together! lol. I'm USEast if interested. I'm definitely not the greatest at that game because I always seem to play it in spurts and never master ordering the AI around as seems necessary with the UAI. Also have some friends across the pond that will probably play with you. Pvt. Snail on here; hes a great guy.

ps - do you always get spotted by the convoy at the beginning? I hated how Alpha? I think would always get spotted and the convoy would stop and it was this 50/50 chance of being detected from the get go =/ lol. UAI is nuts.
No I never got spotted by the convoy, I think I'm having time issues. I blow Sunbeam, then that small village with the SAM site gets some artillery before I move in and blow the SAM (if artillery didn't get it). Then I feel like I'm against the clock trying to get to the next SAM and the radar station and just seem to come across too much resistance, especially at the radar. I can't even peep over the ridge at it without getting my hat shot off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt.Snail View Post
/me hops in.

Thanks for the accolades bobsbarricades. ;-)

If you need any co-op with this let me know. I currently am up to my ears in work but should have time near the end of April (that is why I keep missing you bobsbarricades) to assist, if you can wait that long.

Visit us at www.ofab.co.uk and give a shout. We will be glad to help you through the game. It is a great campaign and really enjoyable with 4 real players.

Quick tip...give this a read - http://www.supercheats.com/guides/op...ind-the-dragon
Thanks Snail, I'll check out those sites, I'll maybe add you both in case we happen to be online together.

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully I'll see you around.

EDIT: Having a bit of trouble finding you Bob. Add me next time you're online if you like mate. My Steam user profile is linked to my forum profile.

Last edited by Bobafett2k6: 04-08-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Bobafett2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
bobsbarricades

I added you (and snail - can't believe I hadn't already).
Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Pvt.Snail

Soon you will wish to have more campaigns(missions). I highly recommend using these:

SaintAxe&Ror Updater
This is a simple program that will keep your SaintAxe&Ror missions up to date.
Just run it before launching Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising and hit the "Check for updates" button. And that's it !
http://sar.n1bus.eu/get-saintaxeror-missions-updater

Welcome to nikned map pack website.
New NiknedMapPack 4.9.1
http://www.nikned.it/index_OFDR.html

The Autodownloader, is a small tool (~1 MB), which automatically downloads custom missions for Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising, installs and updates the custom maps and missions. Due to the regular updates of the Autodownloader you will always stay up to date with the latest missions and updates. You never need to download or install anything anymore!
http://www.opengamersunited.net/autodownloader

My personnel fav is the one done by SaintAxe&Ror, he keeps all missions up to date and is adding more when he has time.

Depending on what mod you wish to use they normally go in the C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\OF Dragon Rising\ directory. So right at the root of the game.

Check this out for some good mods: http://community.codemasters.com/for...war-2-0-a.html

And do get the HUGE campaign Island WAR, it is a blast! http://www.opengamersunited.net/islandwar

Enjoy, and Happy Fraggin'
Pvt.Snail is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising