Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V > Steam Workshop for Skyrim

Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
giskarduk

Support my Steam Workshop Block Feature Request

Hello everybody.

My own mods are now friends only and 6000 users are left without updates or future new mods because I got sick of 100s of trolls venting at me on a daily basis. 1000s of hate filled pms, comments and other messages over what is basically random petty issues that may or may not be the mods fault.

Its not fair, over 5000 users did not deserve to loose the mods because of a few hundred out of control trolls, but the modder does not deserve to be punished every day by players because he shared is mods with them.

The trolls who do that are mod users, they want the mods as much as you do, they just do not see the need to be friendly about it and make the modders life a nightmare. I want to give them a valid reason to be friendly about this.

When trolls know being trolls will cost them their download access to a mod. They start to behave. I know this because it works on my own site right now. I have used this for over 3 years successfully.

The very threat of losing something they want causes a massive attitude change in most trolls.

So I want your support, if your sick of losing mods because trolls drive the modder away as they always do in Elder Scrolls communities and want to break that cycle of abuse for good. Support my attempt to get Steam to add a block feature that modders can use to rid them selves of trolls and you will see the steam workshop comments looking much more friendly the moment word gets out modders have that power.

Here is my request.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...8#post30243648

Last edited by giskarduk: 04-11-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Staind716

If you want a much better atmosphere and people who appreciate all your hard work go to Nexus. Workshop is a bad joke.
Staind716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
giskarduk

Steam Workshop has yet to take all my mods out of my account and give them to a team that has no right to them. Steam has also never covered up such an act or moderated me for complaining about. Where as Nexus has.

So I think I'll pass on using a site that rips off a modders work thank you very much.
giskarduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Breton Warrior

Posted today by Valve:

Thanks for the feedback. We've seen this issue come up a few times, and have a fix in the works.

With the next Steam client update, users you have blocked will no longer be able to comment on your Workshop items.

alden
Breton Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
sarojz

Quote:
Originally Posted by giskarduk View Post
Steam Workshop has yet to take all my mods out of my account and give them to a team that has no right to them. Steam has also never covered up such an act or moderated me for complaining about. Where as Nexus has.

So I think I'll pass on using a site that rips off a modders work thank you very much.
I'm puzzled, I searched for your winterhold mod and could not find it all all. I saw your recommended collection of mods but none of your personal mods were included.
Quote:
give them to a team that has no right to them..
Who is this "team" you are referring too? A group in Valve? The Creation kit team at Bethesda? Just curious because you seem really upset. I hope this isn't the case.
sarojz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Adam.h

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarojz View Post
I'm puzzled, I searched for your winterhold mod and could not find it all all. I saw your recommended collection of mods but none of your personal mods were included. Who is this "team" you are referring too? A group in Valve? The Creation kit team at Bethesda? Just curious because you seem really upset. I hope this isn't the case.
He is comparing it to Nexus. He is not stating that the Workshop perpetrated these acts, but that Nexus did so.

Full support for your idea, giskarduk.
Adam.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
Staind716

Quote:

Wow, I had no idea that Nexus would do anything like that. In that case not wanting to go back there is understandable.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
giskarduk

Steam in my experience are impartial, usually fair, sometimes act without reading the whole thread but generally do a good job for a players. The service can be good or bad at times and their preorder release time plain suck. But the fact they try impresses me greatly and I do not miss retail shops of physical copies of games because of Steams service. Most of all I trust them to have the players best interests at heart.

When I brought Halflife 2 when it first came out and was forced to use steam, I had a vastly different attitude about it then. When I got Empire total war years late and HL2 was still in library, I decided to give them a real try and I have liked what I have seen ever since.

So I have a lot of reasons for using steam even if nexus did not do that to my OBLIVION mods a few years back, I would still be here today.

Last edited by giskarduk: 04-12-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
giskarduk

According to Ablar I think his name is, at value Steam are always trying to improve these issues customers have but I realize their fixes may not always be my idea of a fix. Still any improvement over what we have is good.

But they are fixated on the idea of 1 troll returning over and over again cause trouble. We modders can deal with 1 troll our selves. Its the other 99 that bothers me.

I told them its like this.

100 trolls turn up, rage at the modder and leave and are never seen again.

Next day, a new set of 100 trolls turn up, rage a the modder and are never seen again.

Hopefully they will get the point when they read that.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
Staind716

That's one of the biggest things that turned me off to the Workshop. I always read the readme's and comments before using a mod to see if there are any issues with it before I download it. The comments section was atrocious. It's like the comment version of 12 year olds on Xbox Live playing COD. I understand your point completely and for people to have that sort of attitude to someone who is putting so much time and effort to add content to their game for free is ridiculous. It reminds me of the comment sections on YouTube. They really need to do something about cleaning that mess up. Well, I for one want to thank you and tell you to keep up the good work even though I haven't tried your mod. If you decide to release it again I will check it out.

Last edited by Staind716: 04-12-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
giskarduk

Youtube has a feature that lets me block users entirely, which is what I am asking for here, it works on my site, it works on youtube.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
Breton Warrior

Those type of "12 year old's" you mentioned are the very reason I do not check out the mods like I used to, I used to check all the time for new stuff then as you described I read the comments and it was enough to put me off, yet alone the poor authors.
Breton Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
GopherGaming

I support this. I still would also like some more privacy settings, but just giving contributers the power to block people would be a great step towards me being comfortable upoading to the workshop.
GopherGaming is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V > Steam Workshop for Skyrim